Anybody read any of Chip Hines articles?

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
I just found him today, and so far, I like what he's saying. I have been talking with a younger fella local to me about some of the same things. He's high on the "what the buffalo did" line of thinking also.

If you've read him at all, what do you think about his ideas?

I been reading in my course of study. I like his ideas.

I'd like to hear from folks that have applied his thinking.

I like the "what the buffalo did" way of thinking too. But you have to keep in mind that the buffalo is a hardier breed than cattle although in the same family. The buffalo also had thousands of years to adapt to the their environment. We can go along way in that same line of thought by culling and keeping our own replacement heifers if they are not pamperd too much. But we will never be problem free but minimizing it to a very low percentage should be the goal. I guess its survival of the fittest.

Use to be a old man here when I was a kid that ran a lot of cattle. Didn't do much in the way of caring for them said the ones that made would make for a stronger breed. I have seen him with a lot of dead cows come spring.

Red Bull Breeder":3urx2fxi said:
Use to be a old man here when I was a kid that ran a lot of cattle. Didn't do much in the way of caring for them said the ones that made would make for a stronger breed. I have seen him with a lot of dead cows come spring.

True. The buffalo were not a money making animal just food and clothing for the plains Indians, which was important for them no doubt. But what they took didn't make a dent in the population I'm sure.
We make a living off of cattle so its hard to just bite the bullet and not feed any high-mag mineral when grass tetany can and will get some if you don't. Just too much money at stake now a days. But they are often babied too much also, so there you go.

Latest posts