Anybody need a getaway spot?

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
http://www.farmauctionguide.com/ont...e-on-sat-may-10-in-stratton-ont-s-183547.html

Neighbor that died - heart attack, couple miles down the road from me in December. Very much doubt that they will get much more than 30k for the house and land, which is pretty much all cleared. What value would you put on the Hi-Qual squeeze chute? I figure around 2k. Anybody with a MF 3660? Apparently he had lots of electronic problems with it. Going to have a chat with my (also his) mechanic, and see what the specifics were.

Stocker Steve":2yo8qvnu said:
I paid $800 for my last squeeze chute. It needed a little TLC but it works.
Looks like he was very well equipped for a 60 acre operation.

In comparison to me, he had 3x more invested in equipment. Bought 10 or 12 $2000 purebred Saler heifers a couple years ago, from one of the premiere Saler breeders in Canada. Was told they were sold for slaughter after he died for about $1250 a piece.

I don't really need a squeeze, I already have 2, but I like to have a decent chute setup on all parcels we own. Lessens the workload and also increases the value of the property in case you ever wanted to sell or rent. A few boards and a old head gate really doesn't cut it anymore. I know. I help the neighbor's work cattle in theirs and I just hope that everything holds together and no one gets hurt.

I could go for a Saler heifer.. getting them across the country would be a PITA though.. A bull would be good too... too bad they went for slaughter, quite a waste

I like the spelling those auctioneers have.. an Inferred heater and Alalfa hay ;)

He was rather equipped I'd say... a lot of equipment sounds a lot bigger than it needs to be, and a lot of it seems to have no hours on it either

Aaron":1v8ygtqp said:
In comparison to me, he had 3x more invested in equipment. Bought 10 or 12 $2000 purebred Saler heifers a couple years ago, from one of the premiere Saler breeders in Canada. Was told they were sold for slaughter after he died for about $1250 a piece.

Could have make some Saler baldies and then sold them to pilgrims south of the Rainy...

Aaron":2ece29oe said:
A few boards and a old head gate really doesn't cut it anymore. I know. I help the neighbor's work cattle in theirs and I just hope that everything holds together and no one gets hurt.

I didn't think one even needed a head gate to work herfords?

Stocker Steve":3jy7o1hj said:
Aaron":3jy7o1hj said:
A few boards and a old head gate really doesn't cut it anymore. I know. I help the neighbor's work cattle in theirs and I just hope that everything holds together and no one gets hurt.

I didn't think one even needed a head gate to work herfords?

In most cases, no. A panel in a corner would work for 99%. If you actually cost it out against the ones that needed it around, it probably is one of the priciest pieces of equipment.

Stocker Steve":ouj6qb7c said:
Aaron":ouj6qb7c said:

Could have make some Saler baldies and then sold them to pilgrims south of the Rainy...

I'm was thinking of putting a Gelbveih on them... I think that could make both a heck of a mother cow, and a heck of a steer calf

Latest posts