any tricks on banding

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
I tried banding a bull calf 150 lb and everytime Iwould get ready to slide the bander on he would suck up his testys. I would work them back down but same thing. I will try again saturday does anybody have any tips? I am using a cheerio bander in a head chute wife holds the tail. I have never cut one before so if I don,t get it this time I will have to have vet cut them and show me how. Thanks

Two in hand release the band....use two on bigger calves.

Yep, what Suzie David said! Like most things in life, the first time you do it, seems difficult...or at least to me it did...now do it without thought or effort. :D

Van

RAWCJW":2t8f1u6a said:
I tried banding a bull calf 150 lb and everytime Iwould get ready to slide the bander on he would suck up his testys. I would work them back down but same thing. I will try again saturday does anybody have any tips? I am using a cheerio bander in a head chute wife holds the tail. I have never cut one before so if I don,t get it this time I will have to have vet cut them and show me how. Thanks

I am a person who like to cut - but I do my share of "rings on nuts" as well.

When you have the ring on the applicator - open it fully and hold it open.

Reach up and grab his scrotum - and pull the nuts to the bottom. Stretch the whole thing out and hold the nuts in the bottom of the scrotum by placing your thumb and forefingers around the scrotum - and on top of his nuts. Pull it down and hold it all down with one hand.

Place the wide open ring under the scrotuim - tight to the bottom of the scrotum.

One at a time - using the hand you are holding his scrotum with - play around a bit and force the nuts through the opening while at the same time raising the applicator slightly up towards the calf.

When you have the first nut through the hole, slightly reduce the size of the opening in the ring by relaxing just a little bit of back pressure on the handles.

Repeat the procedure for the second nut.

YOU MUST TAKE FIRM HOLD OF HIS SCROTUM AND NUTS!

I find that most newbies are actually too gentle. Get in there and get it done.

Once you have both nuts below the ring, pull a little bit of additional scrotal material down through the ring and then release the applicator.

I personally do not place the ring tight against the body with a whole bunch of scrotum and the nuts hanging beloew the ring. I tend to put the ring just slightly above the nuts as they rest in the bottom of the scrotum.

Personal preference and it prevents a big opening hole against the belly of the calf when everything falls off.

The other way I do the small guys is to feed the entire scrotum through the ring and then go up after the nuts - i force them down through the opening in the applicator and into the space provided below by the scrotal material that I have alreaedy pulled through the ring.

You can vaccinate for whatever when you are doingthis. Some folks do tetanus and some do not - it is a matter of environment and flies and mud and such. If completed on snow and in cold weather we never bother - in the summer we do. If you are using a 7 or 8 way general purpose vaccination then tetanus is included and an additional shot is not likely to be required. Once again - if not sure ask your local large animal doc.

If this guy is sucking them up - you are not using enough strength - grab them both and give them a good tug - they will stay in the bottom ofthe scrotum if you get a decent grip - while not something I recommend, I have used this method with a double ring on calves to 500 pounds. Yeah, it is a tight fit - but you can force the nuts through individually - just be sure to use 2 rings!! One is not strong enough in this situation.

But in the end - cutting is better.

No matter what you do - find two in the scrotum - under the the ring before you let them go!!

Hope I did not confuse the issue too much,

Bez>

This works best for new babies and may work for yours
Cut a 3 inch circle out of the side of a milk carton(plastic).
Cut a 1/2 hole in the middle.
Slice from the inside hole to the outside
Grab both in one hand and slide your new handy dandy tool over the testies.
This should hold'em down so you can work them through the band.

Latest posts