Any experience with ClampTite tool??

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got one of the smaller ones. Tried using it and never got as god of results as they claim. Now I just use wire and twist it tight.

Yeah I've got one and I love it! It's a handy dandy little thing and really makes nice clamps if you take a little time with it, and if you tap the cut ends of the wire down the clamps won't snag on anything... almost as good as a crimped hydraulic type fitting... really slick!

Now, the thing is, you really need to use stainless steel wire with it to get the best results, and stainless wire ain't real cheap. I get some at TSC and Ace Hdwe. I've used regular old electric fence wire, etc. but it doesn't have the tensile strength or durability to make a really nice clamp. Cutting, folding, and wrapping the wire around the hose takes a bit of time too if you're making a bunch of splices, and you have to remember to cut your wire longer than what you think, especially if you're making several wraps. It does get a lot stronger with multiple wraps, but you use a LOT of wire that way and have to take two or three pulls with the tool to get the clamp really tight.

I used mine to make all the hose clamps on my hi-boy sprayer and it worked great, especially for the connections by the driver that would be snagging clothes and cutting you up every time you moved around, bounced, or got on or off the machine. Since I had a BUNCH of connections to make to the valve body, pump, regulator, return/feed manifolds, etc. I just sat around one night watching TV and cutting/prewinding the wire around a piece of hose so they'd be ready to go when I was working on the machine in the shop.

They aren't as fast as a worm clamp, but they do just as good a job if not better and sure look nicer. The only other negative is, if you have to remove the hose for any reason, you have to cut the clamp wire off with a side-cutter and make a new one. All in all I like it, but I don't use it on everything. It's also a REAL handy thing to keep in the pickup for emergency repairs, both for broken hoses/clamps and to clamp broken stuff (structural tubing, tractor umbrellas, stuff like that) back together quickly and easily until you have time to do a proper repair in the shop. Neat little gizmo but it's not for everything.

Good luck! OL JR :)

Latest posts