another stupid question

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you Rusty for commiserating (hope that is the right word) with me. I thought I would get a little argument out of someone over me saying how nice my place was,,,but I guess no takers tonight. Nice and peaceful in cowville tonight,,,ya can almost hear the crickets.......

Now for the rest of you folks just waiting to call me this and that. I probably have a nicer place and fences and feed my cattle better than most of you...so nahhhh! What I do not have is a restraint system, but we are working on it. Your suggestions on restraint alternatives is very very helpful! (and I am a she thumper, not a he thumper

Seriously? And by cattle do you mean your two cows?

TC Cattle, I never said I was a cattle baroness,,, or my place was South Fork,,,just nice fences and pastures!! And a nice barn!!
Actually I have three cows!! And since two are preggers,,,well that almost makes 5,,,,, that means I have almost doubled my herd!!! :D

hayray":26vqf0fu said:
I was thinking the same as Cypressfarms pointed out is the difference in needle thicknesss is a huge reason why the thump on the neck does not work. I have done it like Grubbie pointed out while on pasture when you had to doctor a cow. I have roped them and tied them to the truck hitch or snubbed them to a tree and then in that case will give them a shot in the rump rather than the neck, that seems safer.
I have mugged them and had some one else tail them and give the shot to a sick or hurt cow but this can be very dangerous to the ones doing it, Its alot easier roping and tying them down or using the chute
as for the mugging and tailing it takes 2 people that KNOW what they are doing or someone will get hurt bad and size helps alot also
me and the guy I was helping are both 6'4" and weigh over 280lbs so we have a llittle advantage and we also both steer wrestled and neither of us have ever been accused of being brilliant

dressageophobia":21pi9or4 said:
Actually I have three cows!! And since two are preggers,,,well that almost makes 5,,,,, that means I have almost doubled my herd!!! :D

I remember getting started.

Some time along about the age of 15 or so I declared I would never own a cow. Never say never.

Then there was all those early morning days with a hoe in Dad's garden. It was always 5 times as big as it should have been. There has never been a garden at my house! (yet)

It is good you are sticking around this forum.

dun":11g9vdie said:
Angus Cowman":11g9vdie said:
neither of us have ever been accused of being brilliant

Ah, a little honesty early in the morning!
My daddy always said that "He was concerned about might intelligence for jumpimg off of a $10,000 horse onto a $500 steer"
another he always said was " well he might not be able to out smart it but at least he can out work it"

Angus Cowman":1icrnhpt said:
dun":1icrnhpt said:
Angus Cowman":1icrnhpt said:
neither of us have ever been accused of being brilliant

Ah, a little honesty early in the morning!
My daddy always said that "He was concerned about might intelligence for jumpimg off of a $10,000 horse onto a $500 steer"
another he always said was " well he might not be able to out smart it but at least he can out work it"

That horse would have to have spectacular muscle, ribeye and marbeling carcass traits to be worth that much money

dun":20cgppfp said:
Angus Cowman":20cgppfp said:

That horse would have to have spectacular muscle, ribeye and marbeling carcass traits to be worth that much money

Now a $500 steer is worth more than most horses around here.

dun":3tt2x09m said:
Angus Cowman":3tt2x09m said:

Back then I had some high $ horses and I made a lil money rodeoing on them but not enough to survive
lets say that was my young &dumb days

Brandonm22":1x365fam said:
dun":1x365fam said:
Angus Cowman":1x365fam said:

Now a $500 steer is worth more than most horses around here.
A good horse with a job will still bring good money but a avg horse isn't worth anything

Latest posts