Another question about protein

Help Support CattleToday:

Brad B

Reaction score
I was told recently that cows can only utilize, at the most about 10% protein and everything over and above that goes straight out the tail pipe. It was also explained to me at the same time that the push for the extra protein was one very successful marketing ploy in the cattle business, because most folks think if a little is good, then more is better. Does anyone here know if my first statement is a FACT?

Brad

Brad B":fmyhqghd said:
I was told recently that cows can only utilize, at the most about 10% protein and everything over and above that goes straight out the tail pipe.
Brad

What are the credentials of the person that told you this.

Our state extension agency offers a Master Cattlemans course, and he was told that during the training by one of the "teachers." Now, I haven't taken the course, so I don't know if it's a... this is a cow, this is a bull.... type of thing, or if it is really a beneficial course. I think it takes about 15 hours over several days to complete. And, I don't know if the person who told him this was a Nutritionist or a salesman of a 10% protein tub. ;-) That's why I thought I'd ask.

Brad B":7zpz0xe2 said:
And, I don't know if the person who told him this was a Nutritionist or a salesman of a 10% protein tub. ;-) That's why I thought I'd ask.

I have always been taught that 11% to 12 % protein is the min. to feed to mature cattle. Preferably 12%. Depending on the rest feed source
If the cattle are getting adequate protein from another source they may need less.

Protein requirements vary on breed of cow, stage of gestation or lactation, age and body condition, and weather conditions can play a part as well.. Frankly, protein requirements vary from about 9-10% absolute minimum to 14% for a heavy milking Simmental as a mature cow. Why not contact an extension agent for your area to find out what's required for your herd.

V

Latest posts