Another Old Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
Here's another 13 year old. Will be 14 in 12 days. She's registered but beginning to show her age. She too calved in October, '07 but we've purposely not bred her back. Nursing a big bull calf. Not as "pretty" as other cow but still very sound and docile. Got just a bit of white hair on her udder.
13_Yr_Old.jpg

When I first looked at the pic I thought it was an old bull until really looked at it again.It's my eyes! I then realized it was an big cow.Thats great that you can get them to that age and still produce. Why didn't you breed her this time around? Were you waiting until you wean off the calf she had in 07?

shes a nice old cow thats for sure.big bull calf or not i think shes in good flesh.in my eyes she isnt going down hill yet.i to would like to know you didnt breed her back.

Heck I guess I just wanted to give her a little rest and get her thru winter. Doesn't show a lot of udder but when the calf sucks the foam really rolls. Will probably try to breed her this month and will to Jesse of Brinks. She walks and runs about as fast as a "dryed up creek" but still has good teeth, is the "clean up cow" (the one that hunts up the last crumb on the ground) and is holding good body condition. (Can you see the grey hair on her muzzle? Her name is "Grandmaw".

Are these cows getting Geritol in their feed? Another nice old cow! Just on a side note, wouldn't it be nice if producers who give an old cow some "vacation" time would get some press. The media is all over the bad aspects of our industry, but cowmen and cowwomen who go the extra mile to see after the comfort of their animals while at the same time producing a quality food product go unnoticed.

TexasBred,lookin at the pic of that old cow,tells me she has had good care,perfect example of the old saying "take care of your cows and they will take care of you"
good luck

Really appreciate the comments and yes "Grandmaw" has earned a little vacation time. All they've been getting is free choice unfertilized coastal hay (but it did get cut on time and not rained on) and 2 lbs. of 40% cubes per day. We've also had a mild winter here in Texas so the cattle have hardly even put on any extra hair. Believe it or not she weighs about 1450 lbs. Long as a stretch limo.

Sidney, I'm no expert on registered cattle, however, I do know the "1749" Branded on her hip and printed on her eartag is also on her registration papers. The << is the brand for Cow Creek Farms where she was born and the "E" stands for "5" which means she was born in 1995. Don't have a clue what the "1" on the front shoulder means. Maybe someone else can help us with that one.

Latest posts