Another dodge followed me home

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
So this old girl followed me home.. Needs a little TLC, body is a bit dented up, worst part is on the ridge of the box that got good and smashed down about 1".. I was hesitant when I saw the ad for it with the flaky paint.. One of my friends sent me the ad (he's been looking for one of these trucks) and I said if he didn't want it, I'd take a look at it.. he passed so I made a call, turns out I know the guy and he bought it because I told him he should get one if he had the chance. He didn't know the mileage offhand, said it was HIGH

So I hook up the trailer, and go see it, it's in a bunch of weeds, got a flat tire, driver's door doesn't want to stay latched.. ignition got smashed out when some crackheads tried to steal it (they weren't successful).. Doesn't seem too bad for rust, try to fire it, battery is dead so hook up some cables, fiddle with the ignition, first cylinder up it came alive
Made the deal on it and loaded it up, Happened to run into the friend that sent me the ad and he asked if he missed out.. he had some serious regrets!

Turns out it has 325,000 kms (200k miles) which isn't high at all for these, once on the trailer I got a better look at it.. it has NO rust whatsoever, and had EVERY option conceivable installed, dealer installed trans oil cooler, tach (alone worth $400), CD/cassette stereo, A/C (that still works) bucket seats, power windows, mirrors, clearance lights, tow package, air bags, etc.. Trans oil smells fresh, engine oil is just a dark brown, neither the engine or the trans leak a drop of oil, has new front hubs and brakes.. I think this thing just towed a retired guy's camper to florida and back.. Even the canopy was decked out with clearance lights!

I may do a 4wd conversion on it at some point, but for now I think it's a nice summer truck and should get nice fuel mileage

I got the dent on the box mostly pulled, rattle canned some white onto the flaked paint to make it not look like trash, at least at 50 ft, fixed up the door latch and ignition with parts I had, I have a new front bumper for it already... only mechanical thing I might need to look at is the diff, in the short test drive I think I might hear a slight whine from it.. and being 2wd I will make sure the limited slip is in good shape, you need it, these trucks get stuck on a banana peel easily enough

IMG_20220318_185852_879 truck.jpg

It's got a lot of character Nesi. What is the motor in it?
My father in law always said about my brother in law that someone just had to pat him on the head and he would follow them home, must be something like what you do with these trucks.

Ken

It's got a lot of character Nesi. What is the motor in it?
My father in law always said about my brother in law that someone just had to pat him on the head and he would follow them home, must be something like what you do with these trucks.

Ken
it's the old 12 valve cummins 5.9... we do collect them, we've got 5 of them now, and with the way the demand and prices are going, if I find good deals I'll buy more of them.. when SHTF these trucks won't have to "call home" to the gov't or the manufacturer to allow them to start, and you can run them with no battery at all if you can roll start them

A lot of old school buses have the 12V Cummins engine. You might find some good deals there. I have seen people cut the back off behind the driver seat and make a dandy hay hauler.

Ahh, Nesikep All the trimmings on that heavy duty truck. Great deal. I'd run with that truck over any new aged truck. At least you can run it in the fields and use it as a work truck....i see too many $70,000. trucks that aren't carrying stuff and working...they are just show pieces. You have both a show piece and a working truck.

Do you replace the killer dowel pin in the Cummins?
If I ever need to take the front cover off (lets say to do the front main seal) I'll do it, but I usually don't go out of my way to do it

A lot of old school buses have the 12V Cummins engine. You might find some good deals there. I have seen people cut the back off behind the driver seat and make a dandy hay hauler.
Engines aren't hard to come by, I have 2 spares as it is.. good bodies are rare as purple hens teeth

I saw this truck has turn signal indicators on the tops of the fenders.. good for people that have had their turn signal on for the last 30 miles

Beautiful truck! I own an '06 Dodge/Cummins dually, 6-speed manual transmission, and love it BUT these older Dodges are really appealing to me more and more the older I get. Have fun!!

Beautiful truck! I own an '06 Dodge/Cummins dually, 6-speed manual transmission, and love it BUT these older Dodges are really appealing to me more and more the older I get. Have fun!!
I've been doing little bits of work to it, rebuilt the driveshaft, turned brake rotors, new injectors and check valve lash.. drives like a dream now

If anyone is looking for an exceptional old Dodge truck I have a 91 D350 witha cummins and automatic, ac, Utility body with 15,000 original miles. Came from the fire department in Bossier Parish and was never kept outside. It is beautiful. I have it at my place in Houston
I bet its 2wd. That would be a good truck to have for sure if 4wd isnt needed.

If anyone is looking for an exceptional old Dodge truck I have a 91 D350 witha cummins and automatic, ac, Utility body with 15,000 original miles. Came from the fire department in Bossier Parish and was never kept outside. It is beautiful. I have it at my place in Houston
Love to see a pic of it!

I've been putting lipstick on a pig, dad wants to sell the truck we repainted 9 years ago. I'm prettying it up and I'll see if I can sell it for a stupid amount of money.. friend of mine says at least $20k USD, 25 CAD... I was thinking about putting it through richie brothers

Just built a new AC compressor out of a pile of old ones, picked and choosed which parts worked, just vacuumed it down and it's blowing cold again.. I did steal my new, big injectors and put a set of smaller ones on it.... Did the injectors in the truck this post started out as and my dad's other truck too.

I'll have to get a lot of tree sap off the top of it which will be lots of fun, bit of a cut polish on some parts..
1688860678850.png

It is 2 wd and an automatic. Only thing I'll fault it on is there was an emergency radio mounted on the dash so there's 4 little screw holes and a speaker for that on the floor and they tore the floor mat a little getting it out. The truck is pristine

It is 2 wd and an automatic. Only thing I'll fault it on is there was an emergency radio mounted on the dash so there's 4 little screw holes and a speaker for that on the floor and they tore the floor mat a little getting it out. The truck is pristine
What price you got in mind for it? I might know some people looking for one

Latest posts