Another Cattle Theft

Help Support CattleToday:

Something like 95,% of cattle thefts are committed by someone connected to the outfit. Employees, family ,landlords or their family members.
If you keep cattle away from home, you should be cautious about who you let know the particulars of your outfit.
Things like where and when you feed. Pen locations. How often you or landlords are on property. Don't feed in the traps until you are getting ready to use them.
And for Pete's sake brand your cattle.

I'm blown away that not all states require people to brand their cattle, and so people don't do it!! There was a story on NPR where a guy lost $10K worth of cattle b/c he didn't brand them. Well.....

callmefence":1xyzsruo said:
I agree that will help stop cattle theft more than anything. The story said yellow ear tags and gave the number and name , like they still have them, those tags are in a burn pile someplace melted away.

Not cattle theft, but 2 friends got robbed at their hotel during a cattle show. One was their 2000 F350 (found the next day), the other was everything in the locked toolbox in his truck.

Son of Butch":22r6q66l said:
dun":22r6q66l said:
Locks only keep an honest person honest.
2x :nod:
Locks only keep honest people out.
Or in most cases...keep people out of their own car... out of their own house... out of their own... (bathroom)
I fixed that for ya Son of Butch.
(dang grandkids! :x )

callmefence":wman0ukr said:
Something like 95,% of cattle thefts are committed by someone connected to the outfit. Employees, family ,landlords or their family members.
If you keep cattle away from home, you should be cautious about who you let know the particulars of your outfit.
Things like where and when you feed. Pen locations. How often you or landlords are on property. Don't feed in the traps until you are getting ready to use them.

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!

callmefence":3pas1ke0 said:
It's my opinion that for folks that live in the country. A unlocked door is safer than a locked one. Gives the impression that your around somewhere.

I actually agree. If you live out in the middle of nowhere & your house is locked up like Fort Knox they're going to break the windows, doors, whatever to get in. And a security system won't do much good when it takes forever for the Sheriff/police to get there. Love my big, loud, barking Labs!

My little building I'm working on I leave all my tools and everything in there
I started to lock the door when I would leave for a few day but I thought it'd be better to just leave it unlocked so they wouldn't tear anything up breaking in

TCRanch":dg66c8jx said:
callmefence":dg66c8jx said:
It's my opinion that for folks that live in the country. A unlocked door is safer than a locked one.
Gives the impression that your around somewhere.

I actually agree. If you live out in the middle of nowhere & your house is locked up like Fort Knox
they're going to break the windows, doors, whatever to get in.
:nod:
Yup, trouble makers will find a way in and locks do little to stop them.
Over 30 years ago in a local city car stereo thieves went through a city block. They hit every vehicle in sight.
Every vehicle that was unlocked only the stereo was taken. Every vehicle that was locked only the stereo was taken,
but one of the windows was also smashed in to gain access and they didn't miss any that were parked on the entire street that night.

Latest posts