another bull to critque

Help Support CattleToday:

Along the lines of the post that you made while I was making my post, how do you know that you want to breed AI to a bull, when you have no idea what his calves look like or how they perform.

la4angus, we just weaned his spring bull calves yesterday. March calves averaged 731 lbs, but note we started them on creep feed august 21th, so they have been on creep for a little over 4 weeks. Average birth weight on bull and heifer calves was 82 lbs. out of cows. We used him in the fall of 2005 on heifers, and they all calved in August, average birth weight was 83 lbs on both bull and heifer calves combined. So when it comes down to it, if he calves easy and his calves grow good, collecting some semen on him is in our best interest. I can post some pictures of his bull calves if you would like. The heifer calves are at the south ranch, havent weaned or weighed them yet, so I dont have any numbers or pictures on them.

Nebraska Sandhills":3p5mklg9 said:
la4angus, we just weaned his spring bull calves yesterday. March calves averaged 731 lbs, but note we started them on creep feed august 21th, so they have been on creep for a little over 4 weeks.
Are these calves sired by multiple bulls?

sorry, i should have made that more clear. His March calves averaged 731 lbs. The group as a whole of bull calves averaged right at 700 lbs. They have all been treated the same and running together since June.

Nebraska Sandhills":1pva1ldo said:
la4angus, we just weaned his spring bull calves yesterday. March calves averaged 731 lbs, but note we started them on creep feed august 21th, so they have been on creep for a little over 4 weeks. Average birth weight on bull and heifer calves was 82 lbs. out of cows. We used him in the fall of 2005 on heifers, and they all calved in August, average birth weight was 83 lbs on both bull and heifer calves combined. So when it comes down to it, if he calves easy and his calves grow good, collecting some semen on him is in our best interest. I can post some pictures of his bull calves if you would like. The heifer calves are at the south ranch, havent weaned or weighed them yet, so I dont have any numbers or pictures on them.

Post some pictures of those calves. I kinda like the looks of your bull. I don;t think you can tell much about his rear end from the picture. What's his pedigree?

# 119 Bull
HPIM0317.JPG

# 98 Bull
HPIM0347.JPG

# 60 Bull
HPIM0321.JPG

#47 Bull
HPIM0352.JPG

#31 Bull
HPIM03621.JPG

the bull that sired these calves is out of a son of an old bull named Ideal 1418 of 8103 4286 and on the bottomside is out of a DHD 6807 cow, so I guess he is what you would call him an outcross sire. I will make sure and get a rear end view when I get him home. I appreciate all the comments. Yes, the picture does make him look like he cuts up in the flank, and he probably does a little, but the picture doesnt serve him justice. I really enjoy looking at pictures of cattle, so keep posting--whatever breed you might have.

Critique of Black Bull:

Good, classic "Angus" head, classic Angus 'minimal' neck crest, classic Angus depth of chest, classic Angus 'pinched heart girth', classic Angus too bulging gut, classic Angus 'cut-up-in-the-flank', classic Angus "FUNNEL BUTT" lacking full, deep and thick hindquarters (obvious even without a rear veiw) classic Angus with hind feet standing too close.

Some of his pictured calves are an improvement on the sire, due undoubtedly to the quality of the dam's.

To Summarize: Classic modern day Angus Bull well on the way to leading the Angus breed in the WRONG direction.

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

dun":pneqmtsb said:
S.R.R.":pneqmtsb said:
dun":pneqmtsb said:
Roadapple":pneqmtsb said:
Needs a butt.

Hooray, finally someone else noticed

dun

Maybe, Maybe not! We will need a rear view to decide that!

He isn;t as cat hammed as the Tarentaise bull but he doesn;t miss it by much

dun
What is "cat hammed"?

Schnurrbart":743lg2g7 said:
dun":743lg2g7 said:
S.R.R.":743lg2g7 said:
dun":743lg2g7 said:
Roadapple":743lg2g7 said:
Needs a butt.

Hooray, finally someone else noticed

dun

Maybe, Maybe not! We will need a rear view to decide that!

He isn;t as cat hammed as the Tarentaise bull but he doesn;t miss it by much

dun
What is "cat hammed"?
"FUNNEL BUTT" folks, FUNNEL BUTT!!"

DOC HARRIS

S.R.R.":23gqfnhy said:
I have to stick by the fact that we need more pics! Take a look at this post

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

from the first pic you would not be quick to say he was all that thick in the rear but when you see the following pics you can see he is a thick son of a gun!

Thickness isn;t only a one spot thing. Thickness needs to be carried all the way trough the body, across the back and down through the butt. Muscleing also has to do with the depth of flank. If it's narrow through the flank it doesn;t matter much how tick it is in other areas.

dun

for those of you who wanted to see a rear view, here you go. I took these after I brought him home yesterday.

HPIM0369.JPG

another side view from the other side

HPIM0371.JPG

DOC HARRIS":2azojuhq said:
Critique of Black Bull:

Good, classic "Angus" head, classic Angus 'minimal' neck crest, classic Angus depth of chest, classic Angus 'pinched heart girth', classic Angus too bulging gut, classic Angus 'cut-up-in-the-flank', classic Angus "FUNNEL BUTT" lacking full, deep and thick hindquarters (obvious even without a rear veiw) classic Angus with hind feet standing too close.

Some of his pictured calves are an improvement on the sire, due undoubtedly to the quality of the dam's.

To Summarize: Classic modern day Angus Bull well on the way to leading the Angus breed in the WRONG direction.

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

I have to agree with doc's critique on this bull, though that rear view does improve him slightly. Still, I personally don't like him and wouldn't use him.
I must say a couple of those bull calves are an improvement on their sire though.

Killala":1kfafyoq said:
Still, I personally don't like him and wouldn't use him.
I must say a couple of those bull calves are an improvement on their sire though.
I agree with this comment, except if the big perecentage of his calves were an improvement over him then I would consider using him and probaly would use him.

Like the profile!

Calves look good!

The stifle should be the widest part of the body, case closed!

Add me to the list with dun, cfpinz, et al. There are bulls out there with thicker butts, but if you like the way the calves look, give him another go. The proof is in the puddin. Boone

would be good to have an 'aerial' shot of his back from behind... can't tell from this picture whether he's a 'tabletop' or not

Latest posts