another bull to critque

Help Support CattleToday:

Nebraska Sandhills

Reaction score
HPIM0306.JPG

enjoy looking at the pictures and topics. thought I would give you another bull to look at. this is one of our young bulls--going to be a 3 yr old in february. feel free to comment on what could be improved. his first calves really look good for us.

Looks pretty good. A little too high in his flank and stifle for my taste and i'd like to see a butt view b/c he's not looking real thick in this photo.

Not a polished feedlot bull by the photo. From his condition, it looks like he has been with running with cows. No glaring faults. If his calves are good. That is what counts.

dun wrote:
Roadapple wrote:
Needs a butt.

Hooray, finally someone else noticed

dun

Maybe, Maybe not! We will need a rear view to decide that!

i think he is an angus, if so no rear view needed

i should've thought to get a rear view of the bull to show his thickness. I took this picture before we shipped him out. He is being collected right now--we only own 1/2 interest and possession in him and the other party wanted some more semen on him, but should be home in a couple weeks. He is a registered Angus bull. I guess maybe that is not popular with everyone, but Angus have sure worked for us. I will post a picture from behind to end the debate on his thickness. Thanks for all your comments.

From the pic, I'm with roadapple and dun. Either that's a terrible picture or he doesn't need to be collected.

cfpinz

I personally wouldn't collect until there were at least 3 calf crops on the ground to see how his heifer calves preform as cows.

KMacGinley":3q5r84b2 said:
I don't know what you guys are talking about, all the muscle is found in the Ribeye isn't it? :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you listen to the auctioneers at big-name sales nowadays there seems to be no other muscle in the animal besides the rib-eye!

cfpinz

*Cowgirl*- I agree with you when you say you need to see how the heifers will milk and be as cows, but we use bulls hard for both spring and fall calving seasons. A lot of pastures require bulls to be run together, and neighbors always have bulls across the fence on a couple sides. We would rather collect and store up some semen on a bull before we find him with a busted leg. The price of collecting semen is reasonable enough that for us it pays to play it on the safe side. FWIW

warpaint":vhe0fo7j said:
A nice bull. I would like to see more heart girth. Maybe a touch less pot gut looking also.
That and add an ass end to him plus some thickness over the back to go along with the rest of him, then see how his calves turn out and what kind of
mamma cows his daughters are, then you can realisticaly think of collecting him.

Latest posts