another bull to critique

Help Support CattleToday:

lawnviewfarm

Reaction score
Let's see if I can do this right ... the pics aren't the best, but it's all he would allow me to get.

He's a registered Hereford, polled but scurred, April 2005 model. He has some CHH 2X Prospector 8A in him on both the top and bottom side and some Feltons 324 in him on the top side as well. Let me know what you think of him, good or bad. Thanks, all.

--Marc

Right side:
bull-right.jpg

Left side:
bull-left.jpg

Front:
bull-front.jpg

Rear:
bull-rear.jpg

He's OK. Not masculine looking enough for my taste, and appears to be a little light in the rear. Seems to be only moderately muscled. He might appear to be more masculine through his shoulders and neck if he has his head up, and not grazing. Didn't he listen when you told him to pose properly? :lol:

All in all, he is not a bad bull.

I don't see him as a bull to base a breeding program on, but he is a pretty decent commercial bull. He could have had more of everything, but he is the right type (in my opinion).

Just out of curiosity, are those "scurs" loose or firmly attached?

There are many different ways to judge herd sires, by many different breeders, but just as a plain old ordinary, happy banana, plain vanilla analysis, he is a good, average bull to sustain or improve the average medium farm or small ranch herd. He is not the best in any trait that he displays, nor is he the worst. He could be improved with a little more thickness and width, and a little more length, but he is fairly well balanced, standing on reasonably good bone, and is just a pretty darned good Hereford bull. I don't think I would keep daughters for breeding from him, because that wouldn't project a great genetic improvement in one's herd, but for an average cow-calf continuing operation, he would fill the bill for another year or so.

IF - you can discover a knock-out bull which will jump-start your herd for heifer retention for the future, I would suggest you grab it if you can get him for a reasonable amount of money - less than $4000.

DOC HARRIS

Seems to be lacking in the rear a bit....but all in all appears to be a good bull

bandit80":gd1a963q said:
He's OK. Not masculine looking enough for my taste, and appears to be a little light in the rear. Seems to be only moderately muscled. He might appear to be more masculine through his shoulders and neck if he has his head up, and not grazing. Didn't he listen when you told him to pose properly? :lol:

All in all, he is not a bad bull.

I concur.
I also think the bull is horned.

That bull does not appear horned. We've never had a horned animal have the poll come to a point the way his does -- that's a typical polled look. Horned animals have a flatter poll, with almost a split in the center. We've also had a scurred bull with scurs that big, so I'd believe the owner when he says his bull is scurred.

Look at the poll on this horned bull and you'll see what I mean about the poll looking different.
IMGP9491_small.JPG

Chris H":ypxhutje said:
That bull does not appear horned. We've never had a horned animal have the poll come to a point the way his does -- that's a typical polled look. Horned animals have a flatter poll, with almost a split in the center. We've also had a scurred bull with scurs that big, so I'd believe the owner when he says his bull is scurred.

Look at the poll on this horned bull and you'll see what I mean about the poll looking different.
IMGP9491_small.JPG
you'r correct chris .the poll will crest. the horned well be flatter from horn base to base

Chris H":999c5ljk said:

IMGP9491_small.JPG

Although I agree and I think you've made a good point, I wish anyone good luck trying to sell him as a polled, but scurred bull.

The bull that I have pictured recently was heavily scurred like this bull. If they are loose then scurs they are.

Would be nice to see a picture with his head up from the side and try to take the picture more square to his body. I know not always the easiest.

Jeff

Thanks all for your comments thus far. Doc Harris, you hit the nail on the head as to what we've been using this bull for. In 2 calf crops he has produced 73% bull calves (all steered) vs. 27% heifers (none retained) from Hereford and Hereford-cross commercial cows. Third crop is in the oven, so to speak.

This guy's registration papers say 'polled', and the ear tattoos match the papers. I don't think the American Hereford Association tracks scurs (not 100% sure on this). Below is a picture from when we first got him a couple of years ago. The 'scurs' were loose - you could wiggle them around.

So, another question for you all: if you were going to sell this guy, would you advertise him as horned or polled/scurred, or just haul him to the sale barn?

Thanks, again.

--Marc

Fernando-2_front_2006.JPG

It's up to you on on how to resell him but if you advertise him then be sure to advertise him as polled/scurred. Used on horned or heterozygous polled cows you will get some polled calves, with or without scurs and some horned calves. Educate the buyer, don't let them assume something based on current appearance.

AHA does track scurs but the problem is sometimes the scurs don't show up until sometime well after a calf is registered. The owner is supposed to have the papers changed, but that doesn't always happen.

Latest posts