Another Bull to Critique

Help Support CattleToday:

birdog

Reaction score
This is Mutley 5 yrs old Beefmaster.

DSC01677.jpg

Be Honest, Thanks

Kind-of hard to see his shoulders with all the shadows.......can you get another pic? He doesn't have the best lookin topline but I've seen worse.....

Birdog,

To me your bull seems to be a serviceable bull with moderate phenotypical traits in most aspects. It is hard, as stated before, to see all of his features due to the shadows. The two features that stand out are his lengthy sheath and his long tail. I know those aren't typically a concern unless (1) you have enough prickly pear cactus and cockle burrs to make it a concern or (2) you are raising seedstock and don't want to pass on the traits. He has adequate length and depth but could use a little more of each. I see some faults (scrotal size) but overall I am sure he can chase them down and get the job done. I found some examples of extreme depth and extreme length for your viewing pleasure.

Depth (Rockliffe Patron)

R_Patron.jpg

Length (Simmental)

BB-079.jpg

Mutley

DSC01677.jpg

I think the bull is longer than the photo shows he is bent just enough to look shorter. I know what a pain it is to try and get the best photo I have been trying for three weeks. Need to see a shot from the rear to see his rump better. The sheath would be my biggest worry in my pastures.

Jeff

Mr. Greenjeans":38h6rz2u said:
Birdog,

To me your bull seems to be a serviceable bull with moderate phenotypical traits in most aspects. It is hard, as stated before, to see all of his features due to the shadows. The two features that stand out are his lengthy sheath and his long tail. I know those aren't typically a concern unless (1) you have enough prickly pear cactus and cockle burrs to make it a concern or (2) you are raising seedstock and don't want to pass on the traits. He has adequate length and depth but could use a little more of each. I see some faults (scrotal size) but overall I am sure he can chase them down and get the job done. I found some examples of extreme depth and extreme length for your viewing pleasure.

WTH?????????

Anyway - his sheath and the angle thereof does bother me. Otherwise I think he's alright. I think the angle of the picture is kind of awkward (a tall person took it straight on maybe?) making him appear shorter bodied. All in all not a bad bull, but not one of my favorites.

He looks like a reasonable paddock bull,looks like he'd get you plenty of calves. What would his breeding be? By that I mean what composition of breeds? I would like to see him just a bit better in the rear end.I'm mindful that he has been out working and shouldn't be stuffed full of feed.
Colin

Australian Cattleman":38lzw0we said:
He looks like a reasonable paddock bull,looks like he'd get you plenty of calves. What would his breeding be? By that I mean what composition of breeds? I would like to see him just a bit better in the rear end.I'm mindful that he has been out working and shouldn't be stuffed full of feed.
Colin

He is a product of the Beefmaster upgrade program from a Brangus base cow herd. He was culled and not registered but was sold as a commercial bull. I use him on a Brangus cow herd and he throws some really good heifers. His bull calves are acceptable at the sale barn due to their black hide and adequate muscle. I know he is not the best bull, and I have seen some really good bulls posted on these boards but he has worked well for us.

he is a nice looking bull.i see nothing much wrong with him at all.he is a nice long bodied bull.he could be a lilttle bit thicker an more filled out.him being from a grade up herd explains alot of things.an those things can be corrected.his sheath needs tobe pulled up a tad higher.

*Cowgirl*,

WTH -- well that's why I included the caveat "aren't typically a concern" but in West Texas the length of the tail can be of concern. We prefer cattle that slick off their winter coats as opposed to those who have longer hair due to this problem. If you don't have cockle burrs in Tennessee count your blessings. Take a look at the picture and you can see grape-sized brown burrs in the end of the tail. We also affectionately call them porcupine eggs.

Here goes my Cockle Burrs 101 lecture.

1. Cockle burrs can be transported in furr of animals including the areas of the tail switch (rendering it less functional against swatting flies) and the hair around the opening of the sheath.

2. Cockle burrs around the opening of the sheath can, needless to say, cause great discomfort when breeding. They tend to group there as a bull walks over the plants pick up the burr like velcro. Many veterinarians will trim the hair around this area to reduce this problem during breeding soundness exams.

3. Cockle burrs that are transported can remain dormant for up to 7-10 years in the soil. Spreading this "devil spawn" can lead to poison spray treatments in August and September for years to come (in our 95-105 degree weather).

If you noticed Birdog didn't offer objections, it is because we raise cattle in the same area and Birdog is well aware of this problematic headache-inducing noxious plant.

WTH!! -- well now you know why it was mentioned -- this plant is a P.I.T.A.!

Mr. Greenjeans

Tennessee has plenty of cockleburs. I think everyone has plenty of cockleburs. I almost lost a 700+ pound steer because a cocklebur that got entangled in the hair at the end of his sheath worked its way up into the sheath. Caused an abscess that I doctored for almost a month before he got over it.

We have lots of cockleburs here, but we have them pretty well under control on our farm.......

I have simply never heard of someone faulting a bull for having a long tail. I understand the sheath issues; you just threw me for a loop on the tail thing.

TNMasterBeefProducer":9m6dmsxx said:
My moma always said if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all so I will not comment on this one.
What is wrong with this bull, the only thing I dont like is that he is a little small looking for a mature bull! He might weigh more than he looks. WHats his weight you think?

charangusman08":3kvkvy60 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":3kvkvy60 said:
My moma always said if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all so I will not comment on this one.
What is wrong with this bull, the only thing I dont like is that he is a little small looking for a mature bull! He might weigh more than he looks. WHats his weight you think?

He usually fluctuates between 1900# and 2100# in this picture he is approximately 2000# he will put on his condition over the summer. He is a more moderate frame bull than our other Beefmasters. We only use him on our commercial Brangus.

Mr. Greenjeans":19imxe6n said:
Take a look at the picture and you can see grape-sized brown burrs in the end of the tail.

apparently, you have some powers of observation that i do not have. that looks like a normal fluffy tail to me.
tail.JPG

long tails are very good at chasing flies.

Latest posts