Animal Pictures in Magazines Question

Help Support CattleToday:

edb130

Reaction score
I have always wondered how evey picture I see in a breed association magazine is posed the same way. I seldom see a halter on them and yet they all stand with their leg back head held high. My question is how do the photographers get every one of these animals to do this? Do they use a halter and then digitally remove it or is their another way.

I doubt many of those photos are digitally altered...

We take photos of our animals: head up, looking at us, 90 degree side view, far rear leg forward, etc.

Takes a lot of patience, waiting until they move properly, then take one or more digitals and select the best. Sometimes we may spend 20-30 minutes waiting for them to move in the correct position.

It is done naturally...just have to be a patient photographer with animal photos...

I take alot of these photos and I have never altered a photo for stance or taken a halter off. Only for darkness or brightness. It takes alot of time, sometimes several hours to get one to cooperate with you. I would pull all my hair out (whats left that is) if they didn't invent the digital camera.

cowboyup216":ckpp698a said:
Yup. The animal is haltered and then the photo is digitally edited much the same way that photo was of the pig that boy shot recently.

Yep they same way they digitally altered pictures taken 25 30 yrs ago :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BRG":1oms3nz5 said:
I would pull all my hair out (whats left that is) if they didn't invent the digital camera.

Thank goodness for algore

For the most part, they are taken naturally. Like others have said..it is just a waiting game.

I do know of one bull in a magazine that had his picture altered. I can't remember his name, but, I had two different magazines side by side. His picture was in both magazines. In one picture, you could clearly see a bull lead, halter, and shadow. In the other picture, the bull was standing in the exact same position, and everything else (background, forground, lighting, angle of camera) was the same, except you could not see the halter, lead or shadow of a person.

i was looking at some brangus bull photo's the other day. and they really had to have altered the sheath. it looked like you chopped the prepuce smooth off. because that is one place they know buyer's will look at with a discriminating eye ive seen adds on bull's that made em look like they were stretched out then get the sale catalog and he looks like a completely different animal.

Some days you might only picture 5 best day I have had we picture 75 head of cattle that we could use a picture on.

Luck best describes it though.

edb130":tcq32rfy said:
I have always wondered how evey picture I see in a breed association magazine is posed the same way. I seldom see a halter on them and yet they all stand with their leg back head held high. My question is how do the photographers get every one of these animals to do this? Do they use a halter and then digitally remove it or is their another way.

Usually takes 3 people, but 2 is possible.

You get one guy behind the animal, and one in front, and of course the photographer over to the side.

The guy behind will make him take a step or 2 and the guy in front will wave his cap or a rag to get the bulls' attention when he stops. This way, the bulls' head is forward and is paying attention forward.

Very time consuming, but usually the bull at some point fall in to that natural looking pose as seen in the mags.

Believe me, it ain't as easy as I just made it sound. Takes patience.

I would have to say most of the animal photos, especially in the ads, are altered to at least remove the halter.

Think of it like fashion magazine pictures are slightly altered to promote the best parts of the subject. Not many animals will hold a show position while pictures are taken. I don't have a problem with Photoshop brush up. But you have to understand what you are seeing.

If you want a good photo of what the animal looks like, look at the photos that are taken after a show that that animal has won.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:33 pm Post subject: Animal Pictures in Magazines Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many pictures that are taken in a natural way but I can assure you that there are hundreds that are altered somewhat. It may only be a halter removed or something simple like that but many are altered and probably more than you realize.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

I've noticed something about many of the bull photos used in the promotion of upcoming sales. The bull will have a nose ring stretching out and up from his nose with nothing attached to it. I have not drawn any conclusion as to what this means.

I had the opportunity to help with pictures of sale cattle last year at Riverbend Ranch in Idaho. Chris Mitchell took the photos. We photographed somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 head over a 3 day period and none of them were on a halter. It is a matter of coaxing the animal into the correct position and getting the best shot possible.

Angus In Texas":3g2wqque said:
I had the opportunity to help with pictures of sale cattle last year at Riverbend Ranch in Idaho. Chris Mitchell took the photos. We photographed somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 head over a 3 day period and none of them were on a halter. It is a matter of coaxing the animal into the correct position and getting the best shot possible.

There are many, many cattle that look horrible on a halter. Most cattle look better in the pasture, in a natural and comfortable stance. But 9 times out of 10 it takes more than one person to get the shot in a pasture set up.
It is easier and quicker to take the picture on the halter.

AND, IMO, if you are gonna take the time to remove the halter from the photo then you should at least be good enough to remove the nose ring as well. That is just sloppy work to leave the ring the photo with no halter and lead.

Our family just happened to update the photo library for our farm. Yes, some do alter there photos. All we do is take time and patience. As others have said, ditgital camera on side, one in back and one in front waving cap to raise head and move ears. I then download, crop and put ID # and name of pic. Nothing else.

It takes a lot of work, but work the time to web pics and sale catalogs. We are definitely not pros, but have did it since the old box camera. We took two full days to do herd of 100 cows and calves. The photos are then loaded into of pedigree program via MDI cattle, so can print out to customers.

Can view some dual purpose Milking Shorthorns at:
http://www.nilevalleyfarm.4t.com/

Latest posts