ANGUS TENDERNESS AND MARBLING LEADERS

Help Support CattleToday:

jnowack

Reaction score
Just curious. What angus bulls tested so far are good on the tenderness and marbling? Are there any that are homozygous for all of the gene markers? Is there a list available somewhere?

jnowack

Thanks for the link. They just have 1 of the marbling genes and 2 of the tenderness. Does the angus association have complete results?

jnowack":30ym4p26 said:
Just curious. What angus bulls tested so far are good on the tenderness and marbling? Are there any that are homozygous for all of the gene markers? Is there a list available somewhere?

jnowack

Besides the website you've searched,if you know any commercial feeders, many/some of them might be able to tell you some angus bloodlines that will sire progeny with good marbling. I read where one feeder said that the N Design 036 bull would sire lots of marbling (sorry SEC). With respect to tenderness, as I have said, personally, I can get tenderness by allowing the animal to hang a little longer. I can't get marbling any way other than genetics. BTW, I have yet to eat a well marbled steak that wasn't tender. Which brings another question to mind: I wonder how many AVERAGE consumers even know what marbling is?? They will know what tenderness is,hence when asked the question, which do they prefer-- marbling or tenderness? Wonder what the ones that don't know what marbling means are going to say? JMHO

TSR":fssuq9s5 said:
jnowack":fssuq9s5 said:

jnowack

Besides the website you've searched,if you know any commercial feeders, many/some of them might be able to tell you some angus bloodlines that will sire progeny with good marbling. I read where one feeder said that the N Design 036 bull would sire lots of marbling (sorry SEC). With respect to tenderness, as I have said, personally, I can get tenderness by allowing the animal to hang a little longer. I can't get marbling any way other than genetics. BTW, I have yet to eat a well marbled steak that wasn't tender. Which brings another question to mind: I wonder how many AVERAGE consumers even know what marbling is?? They will know what tenderness is,hence when asked the question, which do they prefer-- marbling or tenderness? Wonder what the ones that don't know what marbling means are going to say? JMHO

TSR

Thanks for the response. I am just interested in the dna results.
On a different note, I feel stupid for asking but there are some abbeviations I keep seeing on here that I don't get. Could you tell me what is BTW and JMHO? Is there an idiots guide to internet shorthand somehere on here?

thanks

jnowack

BTW by the way

IMHO in my humble opinion(or JMHO just my humble opinion)

The site linked doesn't as yet have the other tenderness
factor(put out by MARC) on their page. When they do,
a perfect tenderness score will be 6 "stars".

ABS has the bulls that they carry and are tested liisted on their site. absglobal.com

dun

I doubt the average city consumer actually know what marbling is. But they have had Triple A beef, Sterling or whatever else crammed into their mind.

jnowack":xkt6lngc said:
On a different note, I feel stupid for asking but there are some abbeviations I keep seeing on here that I don't get. Could you tell me what is BTW and JMHO? Is there an idiots guide to internet shorthand somehere on here?
Do a search for internet abbreviations.

la4angus":386gjdo8 said:
jnowack":386gjdo8 said:
Do a search for internet abbreviations.

Thanks LA I"ll look it up.

OK Jeanne":2tfnknon said:
BTW by the way

IMHO in my humble opinion(or JMHO just my humble opinion)

The site linked doesn't as yet have the other tenderness
factor(put out by MARC) on their page. When they do,
a perfect tenderness score will be 6 "stars".

I really wonder if the average consumer will be able to tell the difference between a 6 star and a 4 or 5 star tenderness. I seriously doubt it. As a matter of fact, I kinda think a properly aged and cooked 3 star might me hard to differentiate. But again, you will be able to tell the difference in a highly marbled steak and one with no or little marbling. JMHO

TSR":1sl9uj9s said:
I really wonder if the average consumer will be able to tell the difference between a 6 star and a 4 or 5 star tenderness. I seriously doubt it. As a matter of fact, I kinda think a properly aged and cooked 3 star might me hard to differentiate. But again, you will be able to tell the difference in a highly marbled steak and one with no or little marbling. JMHO

come on... get your head out of a barrell.

this is just like an EPD. it is useless on one animal. if you look at the effect a 6-star bull has on a calf crop over a 2-star calf crop, you will probably see a difference.

Aero":3pi1cc2m said:
TSR":3pi1cc2m said:

come on... get your head out of a barrell.

this is just like an EPD. it is useless on one animal. if you look at the effect a 6-star bull has on a calf crop over a 2-star calf crop, you will probably see a difference.

Well Aero thats your OPINION and I have mine. I still think aging and preparation will have more effect on tenderness than "one or two stars" . I didn't jump all the way down to 2 stars -you did. You also said that you would PROBABLY see it in his calf crop. Hmmmm. Tell me, how much difference is there between a 4 star animal and a 6 star animal?? I know, 2 stars,lol. Anyways this stuff is fun to talk about.

TSR: I don't post alot, but I am interested in this genetic testing for marbling and tenderness. They can, by using shear force measurements, detect the difference in tenderness between a 4 and 6 star animal, and should be able to detect the difference between 5 and 6 star animals. There are genes that affect tenderness that may not be identified yet, so I don't know that the difference would show between every 5 and 6 star animal, but given a population of them, there would be, to my understanding, an avg. of .5 lbs of shear force difference between them. To answer your question, according to the testing, one would expect a 1 lbs difference in shear force between a population of 4 and 6 star animals.

Can the consumer, find that .5 lbs or even that 1 lbs. of difference? Good question, but maybe a moot point. We had a guy discussing grain marketing once that told me there were two things the market paid attention to: reality and perception. Focus too much on the reality of things, and perception is bound to bite you in the butt. I have found that to be applicable in all kinds of areas. So even if, realistically, consumers can't "taste" that .5 pounds, as long as "more genes = more tender," it is likely that someone, someday, could get paid for having more of them. It is very similar to the CAB program. The power of CAB lies in the perception of it.

The difference between a 5 and 6 star bull is significant. Bovigen wants to get a program together within a year that actually pays for tenderness. Now some want to test for this tenderness using scanning, which is also still being developed, but the people that want to do it genetically seem, the last I heard, to be leaning towards animals that are guaranteed to carry three copies of the desired genes. They only way a producer could guarantee that, without testing each calf, is to show that the calves were sired by 6 star bulls for tenderness. These would be the only bulls that would be guaranteed to pass at least three tenderness genes to all of their offspring.

dph

What's up with scanning for tenderness? Thats new to me.

thanks

Latest posts