ANGUS Sire

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen calves out of him, nothing old enough for any of his daughters to calve yet.

Is good for use on heifers and his calves look good and perform well. The only negative that I know of with Liberty is his dam had a terribly bad udder. So if you use him, just be sure and use him of really good uddered females. I can't remember right now what the problem was with his dams udder.

i have used Liberty for the last two years but just alittle. I have never had a heifer but bull calves have grown well. BW/gest length makes him a really good heifer bull. Growth is very good, type is very good. My best bull calves on the place this year are Libertys. slick haired, really solid fescue type cattle. bad news is he will throw some white.
I have seen a bunch of libertys and those have done nothing to change my opinion. If the white doesnt bother you you will be well pleased with them.

Used 10 straws on virgin heifers - >7/8 Angus genetics. There was nothing remarkable or noteworthy about the calves. They got here alive. Like the calves of most 1st-calf heifers, I don't expect much of them, and the Liberty calves have not surpassed those low expectations. I think most were steers, none were standouts; don't believe there was a Liberty daughter that looked good enough at weaning to make the cut to stay.
Small numbers, so it may not mean anything. Probably won't use him again.

Was thinking of using him and maybe ordering Power Tool and/or Hoover Dam to slowly build a docile, fescue tough set of females. Two of my current females are Lookout daughters.

Thanks for the feedback. Not a lot of cattle/angus folks around our parts to bounce ideas off of.

Weighed a liberty steer today for freezer beef, first load of steers to go. He was only on full feed for 92 days, he weighed 1480#, he will probably be the heaviest calf we haul this year.. He was a standout from birth and his mother was a heifer.. Which is weird because Lucky P and I usually agree on genetics.

jscunn":17q2rkkq said:
Weighed a liberty steer today for freezer beef, first load of steers to go. He was only on full feed for 92 days, he weighed 1480#, he will probably be the heaviest calf we haul this year.. He was a standout from birth and his mother was a heifer.. Which is weird because Lucky P and I usually agree on genetics.

Maybe the heifer is just a rock star?

jake,
her 2nd calf (not a liberty) is pretty darn good too at this point. but the two of the 3 best bull calves on the place right now are libertys.. so i think the sire deserves some of the credit.

jscunn":4yvko26h said:
jake,
her 2nd calf (not a liberty) is pretty darn good too at this point. but the two of the 3 best bull calves on the place right now are libertys.. so i think the sire deserves some of the credit.

I don't doubt you. He really is fairly well bred. I personally have never seen a calf out of him.

jscunn":3bx9dgsu said:
Good info to hear on the steer. How often is he throwing white?

I know of one place that bred around 60-75 head of heifers and cows to him. No excess white on any of them. Did have one Hoover Dam though that had a little patch of white in front of the naval.

I'd have to go back through records to see which heifers were bred to Liberty. It's entirely possible that they were bottom-feeders, out of low-performance Angus sire lines; couple of years back we had a bunch of Mandate calves - which should have had some growth to 'em, but coming out of NBPT D806 daughters, they were mostly no-grow puds.
By and large, the high-percentage Angus critters here have stacked up pretty poorly against Simmental-influenced and Angus-Shorthorn crosses - and first-calf heifers' calves rarely stack up favorably against those from mature cows, so they're less likely, from the outset, to make the cut to be selected as potential replacements.
I've almost adopted the idea that that first calf is a 'coupon' - if she delivers it, mothers it up, and raises it, she gets to stay another year, and I don't really critique her until she proves or incriminates herself with the second one.
Steers... unless they're barnburners or real duds, don't stay in my memory for very long.

Most have alittle white, no illegal white. He was used on cows that most of them have a splash of white on their udder.

I have never used Mandate, no interested in Objective type.

I'm OK with legal white, and I only have two females with a little bit of white behind the naval, probably just AI them to a different sire

jscunn":2djrj51x said:
i have used Liberty for the last two years but just alittle. I have never had a heifer but bull calves have grown well. BW/gest length makes him a really good heifer bull. Growth is very good, type is very good. My best bull calves on the place this year are Libertys. slick haired, really solid fescue type cattle. bad news is he will throw some white.
I have seen a bunch of libertys and those have done nothing to change my opinion. If the white doesnt bother you you will be well pleased with them.
Which sires are you using more heavy that you're liking besides Liberty?

We have used Sydgen Trust for the last 5 years, first as a heifer bull and then as a bull across the cows to generate some replacement females.. Had lots of bull calves on him too, but the females we got have been very good. Dam of the big Liberty steer was a 2yr old Trust daughter.

Used a bull named Oneills Lucky Boy for the last 3 years, mainly on cows, threw some fantastic calves last year, including the best heifer and best bull calf. Bull was without a doubt the best bull we ever raised.

This past breeding season used:
Sydgen Trust
Oneills Lucky Boy
Sydgen Black Pearl (Trust son)
Sydgen Wake up Call
Oneills Adventure (half brother to Lucky Boy)
Ebonys Grandmaster (Simmental)

Wake up Call is a bull that is a maternal brother to Sydgen CC&7, he is a nice fronted, open ribbed, high volume, high muscle bull that has been hiding in TN for a couple of years now. I got the chance to see weaned calves, bred heifers, and the bull himself and fell in love with him. Bred the Lucky Boy heifers to Wake up Call, really excited about those matings..

I only used 5-7 straws of each bull, so I dont have really big groups to look at all at once. I try to match strengths and weaknesses on each mating.. I am already thinking about 2015.. the only bull I plan to add to this group is a big, massive, easy moving bull named Sydgen Black Diamond.

Can I ask why you're so heavy on Sydgen? Do their sires have a little something extra that you're drawn too. (Not that their program doesn't have great quality, they match up there with any other top program)

We started buying walking bulls there in 2001, I thought the quality of bulls at that sale was as deep as any I had ever seen. I had been to all the premier programs in the SE and they had good bulls, but not as many as at Sydgen at a reasonable price. While Florida is South of the Fescue belt, the same qualities that make cattle successful in fescue country make cattle successful in the humidity of the Gulf Coast. Sydgen cattle are slick haired, fertile, structurally correct, and docile, these are the four convinence traits I value the most. The people that work there are easy to work with and just good people, and I am lucky to call them friends. I am sure that plenty of other programs could do that for me, but if it aint broke dont fix it.. There are some sire lines I dont like there, but that would happen anywhere.

I have also seen everyone of those bulls in person, multiple times in most cases. This allows me to see how they develop, how correct structurally they are. I get to see sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, mothers, etc. That gives me a level of comforting when picking AI bulls..

I hear ya, being in the armpit of Midwest I'm of your same thought process, taking the words out of my mouth. Knowing they are raised and performing only a few hundred miles away from me says a lot. And cold and wind I can prep for, but when it comes to heat and humidity, there's only so much I can do. I firmly believe the heat is harder on them than the cold, i.e., two nights ago, we were at -4 (with no wind, but still damn cold), and my cows and steers were no where near any shelter, and were as calm as a cucumber, chewy cud out in the open. A lot of my cows are from their program, mainly the Royal Queen family they have there. I have bought three continuous maternal sisters from a local Angus friend that purchashed their dam at Sydgen. The oldest calved 2-4-13 like a pro, leading her bull calf to the lean to in freezing drizzle last year, and best steer now I have currently still here. The middle daughter is a tank and is due 2-14 and I can't wait to see her calf. Thanks for all the feedback, JSCUNN, much appreciated. DO you go to their sale every year?

Latest posts