Angus Sire

Help Support CattleToday:

BA

Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on a bull that produces loads of capacity, muscle, good disposition and deep ribbed, easy fleshing daughters with good udders? Maximum frame of 6.5. Anybody? SEC - you seem to have a lot of knowledge, any ideas? Here is some of my list. I would appreciate comments on the bulls and other ideas! Thanks!

Basin Max 602C
GDAR Traveler 011
GDAR Traveler 044
QAS Traveler 23-4
Emblazon
Connealy Dateline

Any comments or thoughts?

BA I saw 004 in person. He is a good bull. I liked him. He is deep, thick, fairly long , and moderate. He looks to be efficient made. I felt like his back feet were a little funny made. Kind of open toed I guess for lack of a better phrase. I felt like without knowing his genetic background, that his back toes could cork screw if left unattended. All in all if I was satisfied that his feet wouldn't be a problem, I would use him.

He does have a little shoulder and isn't perfectly neat .

Emblazon sons ( actually most Ohlde Cattle Company bulls) have been selling like hotcakes around here lately...More and more people trying to moderate frame size and get some muscle and efficiency back in their cattle after ending up with too big of cows from the last few generations of too large a framed angus bulls being the trendsetters....
Too many of the seedstock breeders didn't realize they had a good thing when they did and tried to chase the trends of the continentals.....Ohlde didn't......

BA":1mt7ox1l said:
What are peoples thoughts on a bull that produces loads of capacity, muscle, good disposition and deep ribbed, easy fleshing daughters with good udders? Maximum frame of 6.5. Anybody? SEC - you seem to have a lot of knowledge, any ideas? Here is some of my list. I would appreciate comments on the bulls and other ideas! Thanks!

Basin Max 602C
GDAR Traveler 011
GDAR Traveler 044
QAS Traveler 23-4
Emblazon
Connealy Dateline

Our 602C bulls have always done well on test. Bull buyers like them but I'm not happy with his looks. Most of ours had ears like his sire, MAX, and too much leather. He's not going to give you moderate framed daughters, or add thickness, in my experience.

The 23-4 cows that I've seen over the years have been moderate framed, good uddered cows.

I like Dateline. We never used him, but bought several daughters and were happy with them. They were good mommas with good udders.

There is some neat choices. For daughters the answer is easy, if you need to sell sons it's different story.

I would tend to agree with Oldtimer as the OCC thing has been pretty trustworthy when it comes to the cattle side of things. Emblazon might be one of the best bulls in the entire Angus breed. I will probably catch some flack for that but there isn't a lot of things he does wrong. Enough scrotal, thickness, daughters are excellent but he is closer to a big 5 or little 6 when it comes to frame.

Traveler 011 is a neat bull with what I think is a sterling pedigree as well. 6807 needs no explanation but the Highwood Mega Trend bull was lost early at GDAR and according to MICK they were all very good cattle. Much like Emblazon, 011 breeds similar except a little less muscle.

Dateline is fine, I am not a Scotch Cap fan so having him close would be a detraction, the bull himself is a 7 frame but daughters seem to be right on the money.

The 044 bull is way to inconsistent as he can be all over the board. You would want to watch the feet on the cows you breed him to.

Max 602C rancher bulls, not sure the females really get it done. Again Scotch Cap is pretty close. It was mentioned about the Max ears, well the cattle have no poll. Or very little, you look at Max descendants and they have little or no poll.

23-4 has done well but he won't have every daughter work. But when they are good,......look out.

Dateline or Emblazon are probably the top choices here. Both produce easy fleshing, muscled, predictable, nice uddered, great animals. We've used both and like both extremely well.

I don't know about Connealy Dateline, but trey his son, Vermillion Dateline 7078 (VRD)
I have a cow from VRD, and she is excellent, and I will be breeding a Ranchers Choice cow to him aswell in April.

Yes, he semen is still available I believe the Angus Semen Service amongst others are still handling it.

BA":1d26sq82 said:

Basin Max 602C
GDAR Traveler 011
GDAR Traveler 044
QAS Traveler 23-4
Emblazon
Connealy Dateline

I have saw some really nice daughters out of Emblazon at some different sales lately. I think I like his Son OCC Legend even more so though. And OCC Anchor is one to give some thought to also, I saw some awesome OCC Anchor heifers, tried to buy some but they went way to high for me. I have been trying to decide which of these bulls to use to breed a couple Maine cows and heifers to this spring.

aplusmnt":12k5949w said:
BA":12k5949w said:

Basin Max 602C
GDAR Traveler 011
GDAR Traveler 044
QAS Traveler 23-4
Emblazon
Connealy Dateline

I have saw some really nice daughters out of Emblazon at some different sales lately. I think I like his Son OCC Legend even more so though. And OCC Anchor is one to give some thought to also, I saw some awesome OCC Anchor heifers, tried to buy some but they went way to high for me. I have been trying to decide which of these bulls to use to breed a couple Maine cows and heifers to this spring.

The biggest issue with Anchor is that they have no growth at all. We bred some to Legend this past summer I'll let you know how they come out.

Jake,

I have also heard the same thing about Anchor. I was considering using him last year but was talked out of it by everyone who has used him. Up here in Montana guys know very little about OCC genetics so I had to do alot of calling to find someone who knew anything.

Does anyone know anything about an Emblazon son in the ABS catalog by the name of Magnitude? His MGS is EXT.

I also seen some bull calves out of IDEAL 7451, them calves were very impressive. Moderate frmed with loads of length and muscle.

Jake":3oj0lrlu said:
aplusmnt":3oj0lrlu said:
BA":3oj0lrlu said:

Basin Max 602C
GDAR Traveler 011
GDAR Traveler 044
QAS Traveler 23-4
Emblazon
Connealy Dateline

The biggest issue with Anchor is that they have no growth at all. We bred some to Legend this past summer I'll let you know how they come out.

Thanks for the info! Would love to know how the legend calfs turn out.

badroute":1xq047iu said:
Jake,

I have also heard the same thing about Anchor. I was considering using him last year but was talked out of it by everyone who has used him. Up here in Montana guys know very little about OCC genetics so I had to do alot of calling to find someone who knew anything.

Does anyone know anything about an Emblazon son in the ABS catalog by the name of Magnitude? His MGS is EXT.

I also seen some bull calves out of IDEAL 7451, them calves were very impressive. Moderate frmed with loads of length and muscle.

The Magnitude bull is a good animal. I have not seen him in person as he does not stay at the ranch that is near us. We buy semen from his owner periodicly for heifers. I've studied OCC genetics my whole life as Tim is extremely close to us and we see him frequently when we go down to Linn.

Here's my 2 cents.

602C - loads of depth and more frame than 6.5.

Embalzon interests me for his ability yto moderate frame size, add muscle and capacitry and make easy fleshing productive cows. I doubt he will add any growth to most Angus. I'd use him on growthy cows.

Dateline and Traveler daughters always interest me but you can't often find them. I don't think there is much semen left. I have some Traveler.

011 and 044 I don't know much about.

From what i have gathered Magnitude was a disappointment from those who I know that have seen him. Very much a disappointment from the other OCC cattle that usually look good.

Did you know he was a twin?
There is another case and point of the semen companies not being straight forward with people. For those that don't care it doesn't matter but for those that have to many twins already won't use a bull that is a twin or has twins in the background.

Just like 878 (no I am not going to bash him this time Windy) Until a few years ago nobody knew that he was a twin.

I would call not reporting that misrepresentation.

In regards to Emblazon Seth, I think that the growth is there. Just the fact that his genetics show him to be a little quick, not a bad thing.
If we use a bull that's a 100 on YW or 80 lbs do we really see the difference?

SEC":1rukxyhd said:
If we use a bull that's a 100 on YW or 80 lbs do we really see the difference?

I believe you do... in the feed bill! From my experience the calves end up ABOUT the same size, but that 100 YW calf is a heck of a lot harder keeping and larger framed..

I was planning on using Magnitude last year on heifers until I looked him up at AAA and noticed he was a twin. They sure should have put that in the ABS catalog since they list his BW in the catalog.

I personally wouldn't use him because he doesn't fit into our program. There are programs out there that have had success because he's filling the gaps they had issues with.

OCC Legend is the best young bull that Tim has right now and everybody knows it.

Latest posts