Angus Plus

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
I want to hear your thoughts on Angus Plus. Trash em, put on a pedestal, I don't have any (well I have 1 kinda, bought a brangus from the sale and bred her to my angus bull, right pretty calf) Anyways I don't care what you think just tell me. What are their advantages? Disadvantages? They shouldn't get docked because of ear, they don't have much more than an Angus.

Here's my thoughts:
Maybe a little more hardy. Nice slick black hair. Decent termperment. In my opinion a better looking cow ( don't know about performing) than straight angus, and angus is all I have ever raised.

thanks

I can see their place in some environments. Since they can be basically any where from 4% to 65% Brahman they can be better tailored to the particular area they'e going to be used. Then depending on how they will be marketed the cows could be bred back to a high QG bull or a high YG bull.

dun

I have one that will get his chance this spring to prove his keep on some cows. So far he's looking good. Bought him at 7 months old, and he's coming along o.k.

He's 1/2 brangus 1/2 angus.

He'll be ~13 months when I put him with the cows. Willprobably try him on 8 or 10.

dun you said they can be from 4% to 65% brahman.
I thought they were like cypress said, 1/2 angus 1/2 brangus which would make them 3/16 or 18-19% brahman?

I'm I right a brangus is 3/8 brahman?

triple'S'":1rdnnyn7 said:
I thought they were like cypress said, 1/2 angus 1/2 brangus which would make them 3/16 or 18-19% brahman?

Looks like angus plus is setting up to be the new fad, by the promoting going on.

Officially, it can be 4~65%, but most people down here refer to a angus plus as a cross between an angus and brangus.

A local Brangus ranch I buy from runs about 800 head of commericial Brangus & 200 head of registered Brangus. they use hereford and angus bulls on the Commercials, so they either throw black baldies (some call them super black baldies) or angus plus'.

I would imagine you can buy an angus plus with whatever % you need to fit your farm.

cypressfarms":3hajiaxs said:
triple'S'":3hajiaxs said:

Looks like angus plus is setting up to be the new fad, by the promoting going on.

Officially, it can be 4~65%, but most people down here refer to a angus plus as a cross between an angus and brangus.

A local Brangus ranch I buy from runs about 800 head of commericial Brangus & 200 head of registered Brangus. they use hereford and angus bulls on the Commercials, so they either throw black baldies (some call them super black baldies) or angus plus'.

I would imagine you can buy an angus plus with whatever % you need to fit your farm.

I wonder if they are marketing them under CAB with that bad Bramer blood.

triple'S'":6ysd46b9 said:
I want to hear your thoughts on Angus Plus. Trash em, put on a pedestal, I don't have any (well I have 1 kinda, bought a brangus from the sale and bred her to my angus bull, right pretty calf) Anyways I don't care what you think just tell me. What are their advantages? Disadvantages? They shouldn't get docked because of ear, they don't have much more than an Angus.

Here's my thoughts:
Maybe a little more hardy. Nice slick black hair. Decent termperment. In my opinion a better looking cow ( don't know about performing) than straight angus, and angus is all I have ever raised.

thanks
As far as the cow end goes i would rather have brangus. have the angus plus calf for the market not that there are necessarily considered a terminal cross i would rather have the brangus moma than a angus plus. that is for my personal use only.if i lived farther north then i would start deleting the brahman influance .

Caustic Burno":p60dv6l6 said:
I wonder if they are marketing them under CAB with that bad Bramer blood.

I think that's where the 2" or less hump on the back will be put into play. I would think that they would definitely be considered cab, but you already knew that caustic.

By the way, I like your hereford bull you posted on the terminal string.Really stout looking; He's got a facefull there though.

Triple S,

Here's a pic of my angus plus at about 8 months old. He's a brangus angus cross. Disregard the Brangus bull in the back. He's Mr. Hatchettbutt.

angusplus.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2esk1i3g said:
Is Mr Hatchetbutt the sire of your Angus plus? They have exactly the same shape hip/butt. You could trace the outline of one & place over the other one.

No totally different blood lines, and his hindquarters are bulkier than the bull behind him, even though he's not even a year old. He's much thicker than the Brangus as well through the chest and rear. Hatchet butt has caused me much grief. Probably will be sold at the barn after the first of the year.

ALACOWMAN":ffayv0gg said:
How has he caused you so much grief? was it his calves or the peoples opinions of him?

He will have some calves hitting the ground around Feb-March, but haven't seen any of his offspring yet. He will be 2 years old in Jan.

Opinions are like "you know what"; everyone has one.While I may consider them, I don't make decisions by them. I'm disappointed in him because he looked very good when I bought him but developed the hatchet rear during the summer. His Epd's are good and his bloodlines are good. But unless he fills in, and quick, I'll be disappointed in the "end" result. His sire is very nice looking. Thought he would be o.k. Maybe not.

cypressfarms":4r3usuaz said:
I'm disappointed in him because he looked very good when I bought him but developed the hatchet rear during the summer. His Epd's are good and his bloodlines are good. But unless he fills in, and quick, I'll be disappointed in the "end" result. His sire is very nice looking. .
cypress, many bulls are fed extra well to have them looking good for when someone comes wanting to buy. Feed can make a world of difference in looks.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1fshxn72 said:
Your 2 year old bull appears thin, hard for them to express natural muscling if thin.

The picture was taken late summer after he had been working some cows.

I could take the thinness after he was working, he'd have plenty of time to recover from breeding season. What I don't like is his lack of depth at the rear. If he was like the bull in your avatar, I would be much happier.

cypressfarms":2xk57paq said:
ALACOWMAN":2xk57paq said:
How has he caused you so much grief? was it his calves or the peoples opinions of him?

He will have some calves hitting the ground around Feb-March, but haven't seen any of his offspring yet. He will be 2 years old in Jan.

Opinions are like "you know what"; everyone has one.While I may consider them, I don't make decisions by them. I'm disappointed in him because he looked very good when I bought him but developed the hatchet rear during the summer. His Epd's are good and his bloodlines are good. But unless he fills in, and quick, I'll be disappointed in the "end" result. His sire is very nice looking. Thought he would be o.k. Maybe not.
Not saying you should keep him just saying ive seen some of the ugliest people have some awfull good looking girls ;-)

Dun said
Since they can be basically any where from 4% to 65% Brahman

Shouldn't that have been that Angus Plus must be a minimum of 4% brahman (100%-96%) up to a maximum of 35% Brahman (100%-65%).

From The Angus PLus web site:
"Angus Plus cattle will be defined as those cattle that are Brahman/Angus derivatives that have been derived from purebred lines (Red Angus, Angus, Brahman, Red Brangus, and/ or Brangus) between 65% and 96% registered red or black Angus and a minimum of 4% registered Brahman."

dcara":2py1g9o5 said:
Dun said
Since they can be basically any where from 4% to 65% Brahman

Shouldn't that have been that Angus Plus must be a minimum of 4% brahman (100%-96%) up to a maximum of 35% Brahman (100%-65%).

From The Angus PLus web site:
"Angus Plus cattle will be defined as those cattle that are Brahman/Angus derivatives that have been derived from purebred lines (Red Angus, Angus, Brahman, Red Brangus, and/ or Brangus) between 65% and 96% registered red or black Angus and a minimum of 4% registered Brahman."

Yeah, the 65% Brahman should have been 35%. Don;t know if it was a atypo or a matho on my part

dun

Latest posts