Angus - Most influencial Families

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":fzc267zx said:
Scotty":fzc267zx said:
I think DOC stands up for the Angus breed just as much as any other. The difference is he is not afraid to announce its short comings.

IMO, DOC is just another Angus basher. Does he take the time to announce the shortcomings of Murray Greys, Herefords, Limousin? No. It's just Angus that he seems to get great pleasure bashing. I think he's a former show ring "guru" that can't get over the fact there are better was to judge cattle these days.

And, generally, that doesn't bother me. Angus is the dominant breed, I'd expect them to get the most bashing. But sometimes I just can't resist popping his hot air balloon.

You didnt pop anyones balloon you just sound ignorent because you dont read and pay attention to DOC's posts to see what they really say

The Association registered 347,755 cattle last year, over 200,000 cattle were transferred to new owners.

Many folks don't transfer bulls, so where are all the females going? If they work so well, why aren't the breeders keeping them for themselves. This bubble will pop!

mtnman

mtnman":2qfw2uak said:
The Association registered 347,755 cattle last year, over 200,000 cattle were transferred to new owners.

Many folks don't transfer bulls, so where are all the females going? If they work so well, why aren't the breeders keeping them for themselves. This bubble will pop!

mtnman

50% of the females that I sell every year are bought as commercial replacements. These folks dont care about the papers. So I save a few bucks by not transfereing them. But, they still become cows. "Popularity" may wane, but good traits that Angus have will still be there. Demand will still be there. Heck I never thought there would be any interest in the US for a Wagyu but there is! Seems that to many people on these boards hate Angus Just because they are popular and the Angus Association knows how to market their product. When the market says that they no longer want our breed I may branch in to something else. But for now folks want my bulls and heifers and they are willing to pay good money for them. so why should I change? If this 20 year old bubble is about to pop I'll just ride it all the way down then probably cross it with your favorite breed.

I believe I would contribute the increases in new members and registrations due to the fact that I believe the Angus breed has and still is becoming the "trendy breed" of cattle in certain parts of the country. Just pick up a copy of the Angus Journal in February or March. Those copies must be 400 pages with maybe 50 pages of articles at best. Every tom, dick and harry with too much money yearning for the high faluting social aspect of the industry has gone out and probably paid too much for some high powered females from some big outfits and put their shingle in the Angus Journal.

Do not get me wrong I raise commercial angus cattle and love them. The problem I have with the breed is exactly what I mentioned above. There are too many "playboys" in the industry and in return that is really starting to hurt the breed. We dont have as many honest stockman raising bulls as we used to. These fellas were the ones who know how to breed cattle; not the "playboys". I am glad that in my part of the country we still have good honest stockman.

Sorry didn't mean to rant and rave but I guess that's what I just did.

If they're going to be sold as commercial heifers, why reister them?

mtnman":bcipgrin said:

mtnman
:roll: I think that most good Cattlemen understand that the fundamental and essential purpose of being a Beef Cattle "Producer" is to "Produce" Beef for the consumption by the meat-eating public. That is a reasonable assumption in describing the substantative justification for raising and marketing breeding females (cows, in this instance!)

Inasmuch as there are considerably MORE commercial cattle producers than there are Registered operations, to question where the well-bred, well working, authentic and genuine momma cows are 'going', is similar to not being to see the forest for the trees!

How many Commerecial cattlemen, carrying hundreds of breeding females in their herds - or, for that matter, just a very few breeding females in their brood cow herd, insist upon having them all all "Registered"? Can you say, "NONE?" Purebred, perhaps for different cross-breeding protocols, but they don't have to be registered!

It's NOT a bubble! It's intelligent herd management. . . . and wise breeding technics.

DOC HARRIS

dun":1kkww2pm said:

You get EPDs when they're registered. It only costs $7 to register a less than four month old Angus calf. The cost goes up the older the animal. Some people register everthing at birth and cull at weaning or even older.

Frankie":31d6rifj said:
dun":31d6rifj said:

You get EPDs when they're registered. It only costs $7 to register a less than four month old Angus calf. The cost goes up the older the animal. Some people register everthing at birth and cull at weaning or even older.

Being a cheapskate, it just sounds like a waste of a lot of 7 dollarses to me

mtnman":2edusyyc said:

mtnman

I'll share how some of those registered females got into my commercial herd: After several years and several tries of buying commercial cattle, so often I find poor cattle for very high dollars. Then I kept attending angus dispersions and kept picking up cattle for the same price as commercial. Using some criteria that fit my needs, calving period and price, I have ended up with some nice cattle. Some have turned out to be outstanding cattle. Some not as good, but all better than the commercials that I have bought. All papers transfered to me at no cost. Now finally, I feel that have a good base to raise my own females. Who knows where I can take it now. Am I one of those that shouldn't have registered angus? Maybe, but time will tell. And yes, I am registering the best offspring.

dun":3edztyyy said:
Frankie":3edztyyy said:
dun":3edztyyy said:

When they are that young you can not tell with 100 % certainty that they might not be the next best cow. I wait until they are yearlings myself. Costs me a little extra but being the cheapskate I am it is worth it. To go with Framkie you can register them early and get the interim EPDs and then make up your mind on the next move.

Horseless":3hh2vei5 said:
mtnman":3hh2vei5 said:

mtnman

I'll share how some of those registered females got into my commercial herd: After several years and several tries of buying commercial cattle, so often I find poor cattle for very high dollars. Then I kept attending angus dispersions and kept picking up cattle for the same price as commercial. Using some criteria that fit my needs, calving period and price, I have ended up with some nice cattle. Some have turned out to be outstanding cattle. Some not as good, but all better than the commercials that I have bought. All papers transfered to me at no cost. Now finally, I feel that have a good base to raise my own females. Who knows where I can take it now. Am I one of those that shouldn't have registered angus? Maybe, but time will tell. And yes, I am registering the best offspring.
GOOD FOR YOU, My Friend! You are an excellent example of the practical, down-to-earth- thinking that a beef cattle breeder needs to do to be successful in the breeding business!

You can read many different kinds of approaches that diffferent producers employ in their operations, and some are sensible and work for them, and some are stupid, and won't work for anybody! You are doing it right, and I congratulate you for your foresight and clear thinking!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2rjeumw1 said:
Horseless":2rjeumw1 said:
mtnman":2rjeumw1 said:

mtnman

GOOD FOR YOU, My Friend! You are an excellent example of the practical, down-to-earth- thinking that a beef cattle breeder needs to do to be successful in the breeding business!

You can read many different kinds of approaches that diffferent producers employ in their operations, and some are sensible and work for them, and some are stupid, and won't work for anybody! You are doing it right, and I congratulate you for your foresight and clear thinking!

DOC HARRIS

The question I have for Horseless, is are the GOOD cattle you are getting at the dispersals, The POPULAR bull of the month, one gutted, funnel butted Angus sired cattle or the older, actually productive bloodlines with merit based on more than one trait?

KMacGinely, First I wanted to know what I was getting, if I had to pay good money for them. It is just like buying a bull. They come into the ring one at a time. Not like commercial cattle where you buy 10, 20, 50 at a time. No, I don't always get cattle bought at these dispersions. To tell you the truth, as a commercial man, I was not the least bit interested in the pedigree. They just had to meet the criteria that I set, calving period & price. And I am very happy with what I have bought.

Frankie":20lob3bl said:
Scotty":20lob3bl said:
I think DOC stands up for the Angus breed just as much as any other. The difference is he is not afraid to announce its short comings.

IMO, DOC is just another Angus basher. Does he take the time to announce the shortcomings of Murray Greys, Herefords, Limousin? No. It's just Angus that he seems to get great pleasure bashing. I think he's a former show ring "guru" that can't get over the fact there are better was to judge cattle these days.

And, generally, that doesn't bother me. Angus is the dominant breed, I'd expect them to get the most bashing. But sometimes I just can't resist popping his hot air balloon.

Frankie , may be I am a Angus basher.
:shock: If I am prove me that I wrong for being so. Angus have created a reputation that they are the most profitable (may be so , may be not) , so my challenge to you is to post all ( and I do mean ALL) of your actual production of your calves weights and carcass data so that we can compare to our own. If you don't do ultrasound testing then forget posting it , because it plays a very key element in price value. I know that you can't compare apples to oranges and nutrition is key to groweth and carcass quality, just tell us how yours are raised and show us the figures. You know I find it very interesting that very few registered producers will post that information for all to see. I really admire the producers that do, because it tell me that they strive to be honest about their stock. If you are so confident of yours LETS SEE THE DATA! :?:

highvoltagecattleco":3j19lj7z said:
Forever Lady 57 D has a huge impact. She has her genetics stamped all over the breed. Tehama Bando 155 has got to be the one. He is all over the breed. You look into the semen bulls and their pedigree almost always has him somewhere. I'm not saying that is the rule. My heard bull is Freightliner progeny. I have been looking high and low for a bull without Bando, Fame, or New Design Influence.

There are Angus cattle north of you with different pedigrees!

Frankie":3mt3rg7l said:
Good grief, DOC. You go on a rant about how wonderful 878 is, then you say you don't like New Design genetics? :roll:

To hear you tell it the Angus breed is falling apart. But they're not. The Association registered 347,755 cattle last year, over 200,000 cattle were transferred to new owners, over 3,000 new members joined the association, half the calves registered were AI, almost 900,000 birth, weaning and yearling weights were added to the Angus database, sales of CAB continue to grow. In spite of your doom and gloom beliefs, the American Angus Association and the Angus breed are doing quite well.

Success isn't measured by registrations at least if you aren't counting the fiscal benefit for the AAA.

Success isn't measured by numbers and dollars.

Associations work for us and need to deliver value. Not depict what they think we need!

Frankie":2nbrvlui said:
Scotty":2nbrvlui said:

Midol can't be all that expensive is it? :shock:

dun":30rhlu1i said:
Frankie":30rhlu1i said:
dun":30rhlu1i said:

It depends on the $ value you place on information.

Latest posts