Angus - Most influencial Families

Help Support CattleToday:

I think DOC stands up for the Angus breed just as much as any other. The difference is he is not afraid to announce its short comings.

Great posts Doc. I don't know enough about the angus breed to make an informed choice on producers. However, I believe your point on single trait selection is something that every cattle breeder should be aware of.

Frankie: membership increases don't always equate to breed growth., or progress

Scotty":l6o8pyus said:
I think DOC stands up for the Angus breed just as much as any other. The difference is he is not afraid to announce its short comings.

I agree Scotty-- I never really see DOC's "rants" as running the breed down--actually the opposite- more the fact that he shows the versatility available in the breed- from frame 3's to frame 8's in size- from little easy keeping short cattle to tall milk cow or saddle horse looking animals...Along with all kinds of variations on maternal and milking ability- muscling and feeding value (either grassfed or feedlot) in between these extremes...

But just like him, to me their are certain "type" angus that I do not like...And I personally think that in the last 20 years of trying to make the angus look like/be "continentals" many of the breeders lost/forgot about a lot of the good traits...Luckily some didn't follow this path- and kept the old traits of angus alive.... Its all a matter of moderation and not going too far in any direction to me...
But thats my personal opinion- and others will not like the angus I like-but thats what I think makes the breed a leader- is that there is enough variation in the breed- that they have genes and bloodlines that can fill almost everyones wishes....

DOC is right we need to examine the shortcomings of the breed and work to overcome them before we end up like the Hereford breed circa 25 years ago (1st in reg to 3rd in registrations).

Another thing that needs saying is what is ideal for Old Timer in MT is not ideal for someone in Iowa, and the Iowa ideal is not ideal for me on the Gulf Coast. I do not disagree about the lack of muscling is a problem in some strains of Angus cattle, but I think the biggest problem facing the breed is mulitplying genetics that lack fertility, disposition, and udder structure all to improve numbers on a piece of paper..

I realize this thread is confined to the +/- of Angus's- history & future----BUT
being a red angus fan---does your conversation apply.?
maybe i should post a question about the same specifying RA.

Mr Doc--you are a very wise/tactful//well spoken contributor.

Scotty":1b7q42f7 said:

IMO, DOC is just another Angus basher. Does he take the time to announce the shortcomings of Murray Greys, Herefords, Limousin? No. It's just Angus that he seems to get great pleasure bashing. I think he's a former show ring "guru" that can't get over the fact there are better was to judge cattle these days.

And, generally, that doesn't bother me. Angus is the dominant breed, I'd expect them to get the most bashing. But sometimes I just can't resist popping his hot air balloon.

oakcreekfarms":dt15r03q said:

I didn't just mention membership increases. I also mentioned a growth in AI registrations, sales of CAB, transfer of cattle, increased AHIR participation. So what has to happen for you to equate it to breed growth and progress?

oakcreekfarms":203x1b05 said:
Great posts Doc. I don't know enough about the angus breed to make an informed choice on producers. However, I believe your point on single trait selection is something that every cattle breeder should be aware of.

I know I don't see enough of the country to jump too nationwide conclusions; but around the ~Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee area I have never seen more Angus cows both registered and commercial than we see now.

Doc, Don't be so hard on Frankie.

She don't understand the difference between raising GOOD cattle and raising POPULAR cattle...................... :lol:

MikeC":2b9te18u said:

She don't understand the difference between raising GOOD cattle and raising POPULAR cattle...................... :lol:

sounds however, that she does understand the need for marketability and profitablity.

Avalon":3bq35i6p said:
MikeC":3bq35i6p said:

sounds however, that she does understand the need for marketability and profitablity.

Maybe. Why don't you ask her how much profit she's made off cattle in say, the last 5 years? :lol:

MikeC":25d1t6uj said:
Avalon":25d1t6uj said:
MikeC":25d1t6uj said:

Maybe. Why don't you ask her how much profit she's made off cattle in say, the last 5 years? :lol:
Is that really germane? I dont know what she does as a primary source of income. Its not my primary source of income but I have made a profit by selling what my customers want. I dont breed for the EPD of the day but I do take it into consideration when making breeding selections. With that said I will alsways breed for what my customers want. It may be what the association and the Gardners say (yick).... And then it may be what the Oldhees say. But the bottom line is what my neighbor wants when he comes to buy a bull....

And, just disregard the other thousands of folks raising Angus. They're just idiots raising them due to popularity.

Are you trying to say NO ONE is raising Angus because of their popularity now? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

MikeC":329krgkg said:
And, just disregard the other thousands of folks raising Angus. They're just idiots raising them due to popularity.

Are you trying to say NO ONE is raising Angus because of their popularity now? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You should know since you're now have some Angus. :lol:

Frankie":3nahvy45 said:
MikeC":3nahvy45 said:

In fact, I've owned some angus since the 1960's. :lol: :lol:

So it's NOT just "now". :lol:

My first show steer in 1961 was an angus. :roll:

The ones I have now are not because of popularity by a long shot. It's because they were cheap. :shock:

MikeC":16ttwx81 said:
Frankie":16ttwx81 said:
MikeC":16ttwx81 said:

The ones I have now are not because of popularity by a long shot. It's because they were cheap. :shock:

"My first show steer in 1961 was an angus" Try to hang in there, MikeC. Just because it's taken you over 40 years to realize that you were right to start with, doesn't mean you can't learn and go on to do better things. :lol:

Frankie":s1re0fzd said:
MikeC":s1re0fzd said:
Frankie":s1re0fzd said:
MikeC":s1re0fzd said:

"My first show steer in 1961 was an angus" Try to hang in there, MikeC. Just because it's taken you over 40 years to realize that you were right to start with, doesn't mean you can't learn and go on to do better things. :lol:

Thanks for the compliment. :lol:

My dad made me keep up with how much that 1961 angus calf ate. When all was said and done he converted 18 lbs. of feed to one lb. of gain. :shock:

Needless to say.......

It was a Herf the next year....... and then on to real cattle....

The cont X brit crossbreeds got to winning all the shows.......and making more me money. :lol: :lol:

Yes, the Continentals had their day. The packers loved them until they came up short with quality beef. That's when they asked the USDA to lower the grading standards and about the same time beef consumption started dropping. Could there possibly be some connection? :lol:

Frankie":22hm4yjw said:
Yes, the Continentals had their day. The packers loved them until they came up short with quality beef. That's when they asked the USDA to lower the grading standards and about the same time beef consumption started dropping. Could there possibly be some connection? :lol:

They packers still love them. They don't have all that waste backfat! :lol:

But crossbreeding is where it's at, and the AAA won't admit it. :shock:

Latest posts