Angus Info

Help Support CattleToday:

I posted in the breeding section about it and didn't get much response. :shock:

Don't feel bad - I brought up osteopetrosis showing up in one of the most heavily used Red Angus bulls (Romeo) and it got dropped like a hot potato.

I wish they would say what bloodlines are involved. I 'spose they're worried about creating a scare unneccessarily if it ends up being environmental or infectious but as a "proactive Angus breeder" I would want to know. It doesn't really say if they were all from the same herd or part of the country does it?

It really doesn't say much of anything, but what I gather from reading that, they must think it's genetic. That could sure ruin your day if it was coming from one animal and you based your entire breeding program around it, pretty scary!

Oldtimer":3n448j4d said:
Here is a flyer the AAA has put out for angus breeders or those using angus genetics....Glad to see they are proactive trying to find if this is genetic, enviromental, viral, etc...

http://www.angus.org/aaa_request.pdf

The AAA has done exactly the right thing for publishing this. Igorance is an enemy of progress. The AAA is way out of ahead of competing breed associations in getting this kind of information out. Just another example of why the AAA is on top. (No, i don't belong to the AAA)

I had someone mention to me about "pretzel" calves in the Angus genetics about 6 months ago. Is this what they were talking about?

Frankie":ykwzsb73 said:
Yikes. That looks bad. :( I'm glad they're working to find out what's causing it.
Frankie-

Yes, so am I! But I am disappointed that they didn't even indicate that the problem should be approached by consideration the genetics of the "Bull(s)" involved, or the feed and/or forage that the cow(s) had consumed.

Perhaps it was because they were reluctant to stir up possible 'genetic repercussions' within the industry until more information was available. . . .and I really don't blame the DVM for being cautious! He is putting his reputation directly on the line, and until he KNOWS what the problem(s) could be - don't assume or hazard a guess!

I am sure that they will narrow down the situation pretty quickly. This is a bombshell situation!

DOC HARRIS

Probably not a bombshell. Most of these things turn out to be environmental. If they are eating a certain weed or something at the wrong time during pregnancy it can cause a disruption in the development of the calf. Being exposed to BVD or other diseases can cause it too. If all the calves are coming from the same herd, environmental reasons ought to be a top suspect at this point. Still they gotta be checked out. I have sent 3 stillborn calves to Dr Steffen over the years and all came back as not genetic causes.

alexfarms":wtwfpqt0 said:
Probably not a bombshell. Most of these things turn out to be environmental. If they are eating a certain weed or something at the wrong time during pregnancy it can cause a disruption in the development of the calf. Being exposed to BVD or other diseases can cause it too. If all the calves are coming from the same herd, environmental reasons ought to be a top suspect at this point. Still they gotta be checked out. I have sent 3 stillborn calves to Dr Steffen over the years and all came back as not genetic causes.

Yes, considering the number of Angus and Angus cross calves born in a year, the few calves that have been identified aren't exactly a bombshell. It's not rocket science: if it's a genetic defect we need to know which animals have a problem so we can stop breeding them. I won't be surprised if it's something showing up in a linebreeding program.

Just looked at the pictures of the deformed calves. Gotta wonder why someone would eartag a calf the was born looking like that???????????

Wow, I dodged the bullet big time there, I was looking at buying semen on a couple of bulls out of that line, and back away when the fall EPD's came out. Whew!!! :banana: That'll sure put a damper on some folks breeding programs! :drink:

Frankie":1osf59ci said:
Oldtimer":1osf59ci said:
Sounds like this is tracing back to GAR Precision 1680 bloodlines...

http://www.angus.org/aaa_notice.pdf

This might qualify as a "bombshell." :(

IF TRUE, this would be the worst news in the beef cattle world since the hairless calves (Hypotrichosis) were traced back to one of the best Polled Hereford bulls of his day, Nick The Butler.

Just looking at the Select Sires Catalog that would make 1I2, Total, Cloudburst, 6EM6, 6656, Accord, Nine Iron, Game On, Selective, Silverado, User Friendly, Integrity, 4612, Outlook, Solution, Prime Design, Simplicity, Redirect, 4L60, Big Eye, Grid Maker, 2 878, 5050, Retail Design, and Preeminent all suspect as Precision 1680 descendents.

And according to Angus Assn, 47 of the 48 calves they have looked at have had Precision 1680 on BOTH sides of the pedigree, which is pretty d*mning evidence.

http://angus.org/aaa_notice.pdf

I just hope it doesn't go any further back than that, cause I have Bando 155 in everything I own! :stop:

Brandonm22":1o2mdke3 said:
Just looking at the Select Sires Catalog that would make 1I2, Total, Cloudburst, 6EM6, 6656, Accord, Nine Iron, Game On, Selective, Silverado, User Friendly, Integrity, 4612, Outlook, Solution, Prime Design, Simplicity, Redirect, 4L60, Big Eye, Grid Maker, 2 878, 5050, Retail Design, and Preeminent all suspect as Precision 1680 descendents.

And according to Angus Assn, 47 of the 48 calves they have looked at have had Precision 1680 on BOTH sides of the pedigree, which is pretty d*mning evidence.

http://angus.org/aaa_notice.pdf

This is what I came up with off one site...Like the article says- it takes the right gene combination to even show up and none may be carriers...Be good when they get the DNA test up and running and can tell which are and which aren't carriers..And if any of the ancestors were carriers- or how far back it goes, as with AI today there is still semen for some of those oldies laying around in tanks...

Notable Offspring

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black Velvet Precision 1344 - AI Sire
C A Future Direction 5321 - AI Sire
Semen averaged $450 at Falcon Seaboard Dispersal
E&B 1680 Precision 1023 - AI Sire
G A R Precision 9296 - AI Sire
GAR Yield Grade - AI Sire
KCF Bennett K503 ET - AI Sire
LD Exactly 1912 - AI Sire
Major League - AI Sire
Mytty In Line - AI Sire
Ranger G 1720 - AI Sire
Southern BCS Champ 3592 - AI Sire
Sydgen Prestige 1316 - AI Sire
Twin Valley Precision E161 - AI Sire
W C C Cut Above N24 - AI Sire
White Oak Precise 6002 - AI Sire
Whitestone Precision H141 - AI Sire

Maternal Sire of ACF Bushman 1132 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of ACF New Design 0321 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of B L R Russ 9082 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of E F Eston - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of G A R 1407 New Design G803 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of G A R ALL AROUND S531 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of G A R Henry 5682 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of G A R Honesty 7092 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of G A R New Design 5110 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of G A R Perspective 8355 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of G A R Prediction - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of G A R User Friendly - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of GAR Integrity - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of Lawsons GAR Fair Dinkum Z197 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of MOGCK Security 643 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of New Design G 2114 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of RAB GAR Carney Man 4312L - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of Rito 1I2 of 2536 Rito 686 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of Rito 3838 of 2536 BVND 878 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of Rito 4S5 OF 2536 SA - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of Rito 5M44 of 2536 PRED - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of Rito 5T4 of 2536 Integrity - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of Rito 6S8 of 2536 SA - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of Riverbend Tru-Test 4053 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of S A V Front Runner 0713 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of Silveiras El Capitan 6510 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of TC Total 410 - AI Bull
Maternal Sire of Whitestone Tiger T159 - AI Bull
http://www.cattle.com/semen/bulls/GAR+P ... +1680.aspx

IF this is a simple recessive gene; then 50% of Precision 1680's progeny ARE carriers. He has 5050 registered ANGUS daughters in production (and who knows how many commercial daughters and composite daughters). ~2525 of those daughters would be carriers and half of those 2525 daughters' progeny would be carriers. Ditto with all of his sons. The math is simple if the genetics are that simple. There are a lot more informed posters here than me on genetics; but it looks to me like from the "little evidence" we have here that this IS a simple recessive.

Latest posts