Angus for beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to buy a 500 pound Angus bull calf to raise for meat and I'm wondering how long it will take it to get to 1,200 pound butcher weight? I'm going to put it straight into a 16 by 32 foot pen with a Jersey Steer for company and I was thinking about feeding it a 12% cattle Pellets 12% Dairy Feed and whole corn mixed equal parts. Also free choice grass hay and when that is gone a good alfalfa mix hay. Thoughts? Advice?

I like to butcher mine at about 16 to 19 months. I don't push them real hard to start. I just let them grow(quality hay and a light amount of grain) without pushing for finish too early. If it was a Feb or Mar calf this year, you should easily have it ready to go by Sept or Oct next year. You can have it ready much sooner than that if you push it harder, but I prefer not to. Good luck

PS, you may consider a little bit bigger pen if possible.

Thank you for the advice. I would let it get older before butchering it, but I need the meat sooner than that, and I don't buy beef from the store.

Hereford2 said:
Hi I'm looking to buy a 500 pound Angus bull calf to raise for meat and I'm wondering how long it will
take it to get to 1,200 pound butcher weight?
from 8 months up to 1 year.

10 months... aka 305 days x 2.3 lbs day = 701 lbs + 500 = 1201 lbs

depending on frame you may want to take him to 1250+ lbs.
365 days x 2.3 lbs = 840 lbs + 500 = 1340 lbs.

16 x 32 = 512 sq ft... your pen is fine for 2 fat steers.
200-250 sq ft per hd is minimum recommended for a feedlot with 24" inches of bunk space per hd.
250-300 sq ft per hd for groups of 20+ hd over 850 lbs.

Well the last beef I raised I got 536 pounds of meat and he was 20 months old I had him on grain a total of 9 months that's counting the grain from when he was on the bottle till I kicked him out on grass at 5 months old i only had $1.72 a pound in him counting purchase price, grain and hay and processing fee I doubt you want to sell your beef that cheap. But thanks for the offer. And besides I already told my neighbor I would buy a calf from them to raise...😁

Son of Butch said:
Hereford2 said:
Hi I'm looking to buy a 500 pound Angus bull calf to raise for meat and I'm wondering how long it will
take it to get to 1,200 pound butcher weight?
from 8 months up to 1 year.

10 months... aka 305 days x 2.3 lbs day = 701 lbs + 500 = 1201 lbs

depending on frame you may want to take him to 1250+ lbs.
365 days x 2.3 lbs = 840 lbs + 500 = 1340 lbs.

16 x 32 = 512 sq ft... your pen is fine for 2 fat steers.
200-250 sq ft per hd is minimum recommended for a feedlot with 24" inches of bunk space per hd.
250-300 sq ft per hd for groups of 20+ hd over 850 lbs.

So, what and how much would you feed to obtain the 2.3 lb per day gain?

Unlike some others, I prefer to butcher them at 12-14 months of age. The younger, the more tender - but - the older, the more flavor. I don't have a problem with the flavor of my beef. I raise Simmental, but ALL the breeds are getting to be about the same size.
I would not switch to an Alfalfa mix hay. Keep feeding grass hay if possible. They need about ?14% protein at first, maybe about 12% by 750#, then all they need is straight corn - with free choice good grass hay. I, personally, also feed whole shell corn. Great feed.
You can start them out at 1% of their body weight. So a 500# can get 2.5# am & 2.5# pm very safely. After a couple weeks, increase until he is getting 3% of his body weight. Keep increasing with his weight gain.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Unlike some others, I prefer to butcher them at 12-14 months of age. The younger, the more tender - but - the older, the more flavor. I don't have a problem with the flavor of my beef. I raise Simmental, but ALL the breeds are getting to be about the same size.
I would not switch to an Alfalfa mix hay. Keep feeding grass hay if possible. They need about ?14% protein at first, maybe about 12% by 750#, then all they need is straight corn - with free choice good grass hay. I, personally, also feed whole shell corn. Great feed.
You can start them out at 1% of their body weight. So a 500# can get 2.5# am & 2.5# pm very safely. After a couple weeks, increase until he is getting 3% of his body weight. Keep increasing with his weight gain.
Jeanne, I believe I remember reading a post of yours several years back that also stated that straight corn was enough protein to finish. At what weight do you switch to straight corn? How many months are they on that diet? Also, not doubting you at all as I think your late husband was a nutritionist, but are you aware of any studies supporting this? I also finish on shelled corn but also mix with pellets to get around a 10% protein level. If I could cut out the pellets for the last couple months, it would save a lot of labor and money. Thanks.

1. Starting weight, age and condition greatly affects feed intake.
2. Large framed cattle gain more efficiently than small framed because they are less mature
at the same weight.

Body weight % - feed intake - rate of daily gain - feed conversion
600 lbs x 2% = 12 lbs of feed = 1.83 lbs gain = 6.57 lbs per 1 lb of gain
600 lbs at 2.5% = 15 lbs = 2.5 lbs = 6 lbs of feed per 1 lb of gain
600 lbs at 3% = 18 lbs = 3.4 lbs = 5.3 lbs

grain mix 95% - 75% corn with 5-10% of mix as protein pellet containing salt, mineral, vitamins
if you want lesser corn mix add more oats, ground ear corn, cotton seed hulls ect.

Target feed consumption 2.5% at 600 lbs = 15 lbs consisting of 3 lbs hay 12 lb grain mix
start grain mix at 1% of body weight (5 lbs at 500 lbs) for 10-14 days
then increase grain by feeding what they clean up as they grow until eating 16 lbs of grain a day.
You may want to increase grain to 18-20 lbs whatever they clean up for the last 45 days of finishing.

sob, thanks for the breakdown. i've saved this to my nutrition folder on the computer.

i always like your dissection and dissolution of a topic, not to mention your math skills. not trying to be a smartss just stating.

ChrisB - here's a couple reports I quickly found. There have been years and years of comparison dating back to the 70's. It generally boils down to about 8% difference. the second report is from Nebraska and I posted the RESULTS.
I feed a 30% protein pellet to begin with, trying to balance to a 14% ration after weaning. At probably about 9-10 months they are on WSC with good grass hay. Remember, the hay will bring up the total protein consumed. I shoot for butchering at 12-13 months of age and they will have a 725-775# carcass and be easily Choice or Choice +. I have repeat customers that know their steaks.
Butch has a good point as far as size & conversion. If you take a weaned calf and just "grow" him slowly, THEN, start to push him, you will get slower growth on the "pushed" time. You need to keep their plane of growth in the highest level. They are growing quickly on mom's milk, don't slow them down.
https://surechamp.com/blog/2013/11/12/should-i-feed-whole-or-cracked-corn-in-my-show-ration/

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1387&context=animalscinbcr
Results
Treatment daily gains, dry matter intakes and feed conversions are presented
in Table 1. Performance was similar for
cracked corn fed in a mixed ration or
separately from the other ingredients as
well as for whole corn fed mixed. There
were non-significant reductions in gain
and feed efficiency when whole corn
was fed separately from the other ingredients. When corn DM mixing and cracking charges were included ($.20/cwt for
either charge), total feed costs/lb of gain
were similar for all rations. Although the
ingredients other than corn were always
mixed in this trial, eliminating all mixing
charges for the ration with whole corn
fed separately would make this a very
competitive option. Thus farmers and
ranchers who do not have corn processing or feed mixing equipment can expect
to obtain competitive rates and costs of
gain by feeding whole corn separately
from forage components in calf growing
rations designed to produce daily gains
of 2.5 to 2.75 lb/day

If you need meat quicker, why don't you start with a larger animal say around 800 lbs? you will still have plenty of time to get the meat to marble up.
The second thing is , the Jersey may turn turn out to be the better meat, at least on the burger. Thats what I have going right now for my freezer. One reason is I don't want that much meat at one time. 300 lbs is plenty.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
ChrisB - here's a couple reports I quickly found. There have been years and years of comparison dating back to the 70's. It generally boils down to about 8% difference. the second report is from Nebraska and I posted the RESULTS.
I feed a 30% protein pellet to begin with, trying to balance to a 14% ration after weaning. At probably about 9-10 months they are on WSC with good grass hay. Remember, the hay will bring up the total protein consumed. I shoot for butchering at 12-13 months of age and they will have a 725-775# carcass and be easily Choice or Choice +. I have repeat customers that know their steaks.
Butch has a good point as far as size & conversion. If you take a weaned calf and just "grow" him slowly, THEN, start to push him, you will get slower growth on the "pushed" time. You need to keep their plane of growth in the highest level. They are growing quickly on mom's milk, don't slow them down.
https://surechamp.com/blog/2013/11/12/should-i-feed-whole-or-cracked-corn-in-my-show-ration/

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1387&context=animalscinbcr
Results
Treatment daily gains, dry matter intakes and feed conversions are presented
in Table 1. Performance was similar for
cracked corn fed in a mixed ration or
separately from the other ingredients as
well as for whole corn fed mixed. There
were non-significant reductions in gain
and feed efficiency when whole corn
was fed separately from the other ingredients. When corn DM mixing and cracking charges were included ($.20/cwt for
either charge), total feed costs/lb of gain
were similar for all rations. Although the
ingredients other than corn were always
mixed in this trial, eliminating all mixing
charges for the ration with whole corn
fed separately would make this a very
competitive option. Thus farmers and
ranchers who do not have corn processing or feed mixing equipment can expect
to obtain competitive rates and costs of
gain by feeding whole corn separately
from forage components in calf growing
rations designed to produce daily gains
of 2.5 to 2.75 lb/day
I guess, I may have misread. I was not asking about whole shelled vs. cracked or rolled. But I thought you were feeding shelled corn/grass hay as the sole ration without any other protein sources.

I start them out with a protein pellet because just corn is only 9%. this would depend on how old/big your steers are when you start them. Mine are 6-7 months of age. they need at least 14% protein to start.
If you have high protein hay, you probably can balance with just that and the corn. I don't always know the "why's" anymore, just doing what hubby taught me to do over the years (yes, he was a nutritionist). Working good, getting those kind of carcasses at such a young age. Makes satisfied customers. I only feed out about 3-4 head each year. These are strictly fall born steers. Do not have the space to separate & feed spring born steers through the winter.

Latest posts