Angus do have muscle.

Help Support CattleToday:

yes, clearly not the same breed! Depending on the
photographer and angle of light, many times I find it
very difficult to actually tell much about muscle in
black animals; particularly when they have their hair
fluffed up for a show.

After going back and reading the fine print, that minute man is no slouch either. (thought minute man and parknook were the same animal originally.) 8)

I like my bulls to look "Athletic".

That Ballee Thumbs Up bull don't fit my picture of athleticism.

An optimal beef animal ain't all about muscle. Elsewise, everyone would be clamoring for Belgian Blue progeneties. Hey, I just bought a 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters at the Value Max in Alamo, Ga. for $2.99. Fixin to put 'em on the grill.. My point is that if all you want is meat, eat chicken.

ga. prime":3cldb9j0 said:
An optimal beef animal ain't all about muscle. Elsewise, everyone would be clamoring for Belgian Blue progeneties. Hey, I just bought a 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters at the Value Max in Alamo, Ga. for $2.99. Fixin to put 'em on the grill.. My point is that if all you want is meat, eat chicken.

True, it aint "all" about muscle, but if you are going to put a picture of an animal on a thread called "Angus do have muscle", then at least show a pasture bull with muscle expression! Not a fitted show animal that probably hides the lack of true muscle expression.

Who you feeding with 10 lbs of chicken? :lol:
Guess I'll go scrounge a meal.

1848, if you're in the neighborhood give me a holler, we'll throw something on the grill, beef, chicken, pork, fish. Whatever, it'll be good! 8)

1848":3kykp4no said:
Nice looking bull, but still not a exteme amount of muscle expression. He looks like he has more finish then natural muscle. Put him on about 30 head for 60 days in the pasture, then send in a picture of him. :D

His calf is also fitted. Got any pics of just pasture calves?
I agree with this analysis in that a great deal of the appearance of this bull is accomplished by the finish afforded him. And the calf also to a certain degree. I do think, however, that this is a fine representation of the POTENTIAL that can be achieved by careful thought and planned breeding practices. We all have a tendency to criticize things that are not perfect or meet our particular standards, nevertheless, finish or not, this is a terrific example of an Angus bull which has good phenotype and a genetic potential to improve most herds in America - Angus or crossbreeding programs. If he can perform through a breeding season and maintain a modicum of conditioning and substance, he could show his muscularity and take the breeder's herd up to the next level or two.

Just try to remember that a phenominal bull can't do everything! It takes phenominal matings to phenominal COWS to make a Phenominal Beef Cattle Herd. This guy is a good start.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":33m5mjhx said:
....nevertheless, finish or not, this is a terrific example of an Angus bull which has good phenotype and a genetic potential to improve most herds in America - Angus or crossbreeding programs.

Of course it is

Thanks Doc Harris for your comments. The bull is a past national champion .

That doesn't make him any better.

Not to take away from his accomplishments by any stretch.

OCC Next Step 762N had the most muscle by far of all the Angus bulls at Rocky Mountain Sires. Impressive individual IMO.

yawn" those murrey greys are what angus looked like 30-40 years ago, before Angus where Americanized , you guys probably wont believe me, because while your sitting on your pc with your ranch of 10 cows you think your big time, :D murrey grey are basically an angus everone knows it, except for ranch farmers in the US, in australia where MG,s are from we know they are an Angus,=in silver ,the photo of the so called well muscled Angus bull is a show pony who has been on a diet of grains etc. of course you probably wouldnt think that would you. :cboy:

topsquar":6u1wohgd said:
yawn" those murrey greys are what angus looked like 30-40 years ago, before Angus where Americanized , you guys probably wont believe me, because while your sitting on your pc with your ranch of 10 cows you think your big time, :D murrey grey are basically an angus everone knows it, except for ranch farmers in the US, in australia where MG,s are from we know they are an Angus,=in silver ,the photo of the so called well muscled Angus bull is a show pony who has been on a diet of grains etc. of course you probably wouldnt think that would you. :cboy:
Topsquar-I'm at somewhat of a loss to understand why you seem to be rather grumpy on this post! I don't read where anyone has disagreed with you, or argued with you! Are you contentious because there is a breed of beef cattle which, over a period of 40 years or so, conscientous breeders have salvaged from the "Pony" Farm and, by very careful selection and mating, have managed to present a breed (Angus- by breed name) which, admittedly, at one time looked similar to your very attractive Murray Grey's, but at this time are a profitable and successful representative of the "Business Breed"? Are you jealous of the Angus Breed's Calving Ease, Birth Weight, Milk producing ability, Marbling Scores, Ribeye Area, minimal external fat thickness, % of Intramuscular Fat, Weaned Calf Value, Feedlot Value of the average Angus Feedlot steer (Not just a few selective individuals), the Grid value overall average, or the percent of Retail Product which the "black" hided finished steers present, - or - perhaps you are envious of the phenominal Public Relations and Entrepreneurial success that the American Angus Association has accomplished in the interest of the Angus seedstock users in their Beef BU$INE$$E$? Or - on the other hand - are you covetous of the exceptional and extraordinary cross-breeding abilities that Angus display over and above almost every other breed for heterosis and hybrid vigor and the resulting Yield Grade scores with a minimum of external fat cover? I have searched diligently for scientific evidence that the Murray Grey breed can even approach the success that the Angus breed has achieved in providing the "KEY" in opening the door to uniting complimentary traits in crossbreeding - but with no success. Is it because those traits in Murray Grey' s just - aren't there? I can assure you that the Angus breed accomplished these Genetic successes on ranches considerably larger than 10 acres!

Perhaps that is why you seem - cranky - tonight! Or - perhaps it is the "silver" color which is a bone of contention with you. In any case - you can improve your state of mind by consuming a juicy Angus steak and the purchase of an Angus Bull with Low Birth Weight, High Marbling, Moderate Milk production, and High $Beef Value to breed to your Murray Grey brood cows with the Beautiful Phenotype.

DOC HARRIS

It's been approx 100 years since Murray Greys were started with an Angus/shorthorn cross. I don't know how far back
Brangus or Beefmaster got started; but I guess people do
consider those two a distinct breed now. If anyone is interested, here's the detailed background of Murray Greys:
http://www.michaelong.com.au/
(click on the "history" button)

We are in the beef business. The most important thing to us
is tenderness and taste of the beef. Whether an animal
gains 1.5 vs 2.0 lbs per day is not as important as taste
and tenderness of the finished product. Murray Greys, as
a breed, are more consistently genetically tender than
many, many other breeds, to include Angus. I will try to
paste in here a breed comparison chart. You will note that
Murray Greys cumulative percentage of one and two
star animals is higher than any other breed that is on the
list(only breeds with more than 100 animals are included):

DNA_Chart012.jpg

Since this chart was produced, another tenderness factor was discovered and published by MARC. The company(Bovigen)
will not be doing anymore charts....bad for business and I
suppose it is because it made the Hereford people really mad.
That's what I heard anyway.

The Murray breed was already well-known for calving ease,
and docile nature--well before the DNA tenderness testing
was developed. IMO there were some misguided Murray
Grey breeders that tried to copy what the Angus folks had
been doing---breeding bigger, bigger, bigger--losing the
hindquarter, and so on. But still there are plenty of the
original bloodlines of Murray Greys true to their heritage
and still available. It is my understanding that the Murray
Greys do extremely well in the carcass contests in
Australia, as well as at the Calgary Stampeed.

The Angus association has done an amazing, magnificant,
and expensive sales job in marketing the idea that Angus
cattle are the only breed to produce outstanding beef.....
wonderful marketing job; but just not true. All, of course,
IMO.

If you wanna see a bull with a Butt go look at Perks Advance 121R Hes not Black but hes still Angus. The Bull is Beast Worth looking at.

DOC HARRIS":2rk10lz0 said:
topsquar":2rk10lz0 said:
Topsquar-I'm at somewhat of a loss to understand why you seem to be rather grumpy on this post! I don't read where anyone has disagreed with you, or argued with you! Are you contentious because there is a breed of beef cattle which, over a period of 40 years or so, conscientous breeders have salvaged from the "Pony" Farm and, by very careful selection and mating, have managed to present a breed (Angus- by breed name) which, admittedly, at one time looked similar to your very attractive Murray Grey's, but at this time are a profitable and successful representative of the "Business Breed"? Are you jealous of the Angus Breed's Calving Ease, Birth Weight, Milk producing ability, Marbling Scores, Ribeye Area, minimal external fat thickness, % of Intramuscular Fat, Weaned Calf Value, Feedlot Value of the average Angus Feedlot steer (Not just a few selective individuals), the Grid value overall average, or the percent of Retail Product which the "black" hided finished steers present, - or - perhaps you are envious of the phenominal Public Relations and Entrepreneurial success that the American Angus Association has accomplished in the interest of the Angus seedstock users in their Beef BU$INE$$E$? Or - on the other hand - are you covetous of the exceptional and extraordinary cross-breeding abilities that Angus display over and above almost every other breed for heterosis and hybrid vigor and the resulting Yield Grade scores with a minimum of external fat cover? I have searched diligently for scientific evidence that the Murray Grey breed can even approach the success that the Angus breed has achieved in providing the "KEY" in opening the door to uniting complimentary traits in crossbreeding - but with no success. Is it because those traits in Murray Grey' s just - aren't there? I can assure you that the Angus breed accomplished these Genetic successes on ranches considerably larger than 10 acres!

Perhaps that is why you seem - cranky - tonight! Or - perhaps it is the "silver" color which is a bone of contention with you. In any case - you can improve your state of mind by consuming a juicy Angus steak and the purchase of an Angus Bull with Low Birth Weight, High Marbling, Moderate Milk production, and High $Beef Value to breed to your Murray Grey brood cows with the Beautiful Phenotype.

DOC HARRIS

Now you've done it Doc!, you are fixin to start a range war.

I knew I liked my angus for some reason, but that was a kick- butt summary that you just gave. :D Did you also mention that they gain as well or better on test as the so-called terminal breeds do? :D

Latest posts