Angus cow need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
I have a very nice angus cow that milks like there is no tomorrow (too bad she lost her calf, it fell in the pond) but anyway she has a jersey steer that she took and they are doing well. Ok so here the question i have no bull and have a friend that is a big time cattle producer that has like hundreds of cows and he said i could turn her out with his to get her bred. So the bull options are: several charloise (note that the cow is a smaller cow 1100 pound) some ultra blacks and a few texas longhorns. I also want my brangus cross heifer bred at the same time she is 16 months a stout heifer and i think she will do fine, i dont know ill keep her but im going to get her bred and try to sell her. The man has a nice charloise bull up in a small lot so it would be easy to breed them to him. but what would a AngusxCharloise calf look like or a BrangusX to a charloise look like

Personally I'd feel a lot more comfortable using a Charolais bull than I would using a Charloise.

The calves will most likely be grey if bred to a Charolais bull, but should be really stout and beefy looking. As long as he is calving ease you will be alright . At this point in your herd I really would be more worried about getting them bred than focusing on color of the calf.

KNERSIE":3q9z4bcp said:
Personally I'd feel a lot more comfortable using a Charolais bull than I would using a Charloise.
were you just making a joke or is there a breed charloise i just made a typo hahaha

hillsdown":1us1in3q said:
The calves will most likely be grey if bred to a Charolais bull, but should be really stout and beefy looking. As long as he is calving ease you will be alright . At this point in your herd I really would be more worried about getting them bred than focusing on color of the calf.
so the heifer will be fine with the Charolais bull???? you see i think the charolaise growth and all the milk the cow makes the calf would be huge when time to sell. And true about getting bred but just having 1 mama cow and 1 heifer and then raising stockers it matters to me what color because color is pretty important where i live and making 1.10 a pound for black rather than .95 for other it helps to be black unless the makes up in pounds what it loses in color.

Dixieangus":2nqa7f2c said:
hillsdown":2nqa7f2c said:
so the heifer will be fine with the Charolais bull???? you see i think the charolaise growth and all the milk the cow makes the calf would be huge when time to sell. And true about getting bred but just having 1 mama cow and 1 heifer and then raising stockers it matters to me what color because color is pretty important where i live and making 1.10 a pound for black rather than .95 for other it helps to be black unless the makes up in pounds what it loses in color.

If you want black calves then breed them to one of the Ultra Black bulls. Not a sure thing the calves will be black, but more than likely they will. As for the price difference you cited, just remember: if you get them bred soon it'll be roughly a year and a half before you wean the calves and things could be different then.

How about we breed the heifer to the easiest calving bull that will give a market acceptable calf and breed the cow to a different bull in order to get the best calf from her. No law exists saying we can't breed both of these females to bulls of different breeds. The best advice I can give is to ask the bulls owner which bull will work best for each female and not worry about the breed.

I had a heifer that we showed once she stayed with a low bw angus bull for 3 months turned her in with the rest of the cows she got out for 1 day 9 months later had a snow white calf 115lbs had to saw it into to pull it the neighbor had a charolais bull. H.ad lots of calves out of the angus bull so it wasnt his fault just things happen so which ever bull you decide on make sure hes low bw at least on the heifer. And by the way the heifer was never able to conceive had to sell her for a killer.

Dixieangus":y0uvq9ry said:
KNERSIE":y0uvq9ry said:
were you just making a joke or is there a breed charloise i just made a typo hahaha

No just a feeble attempt at a joke.

talked to the bulls owner a few minutes ago and he said that the heifer would be fine with the charolais bull because he said he was a low bw bull. He also said that he was going to put the bull in with a herd of black cows later this summer. i will be easier to breed to the charolais because he is in a lot next to the mans squeeze chute.

Just because a bull is considered low birthweight for his breed, that doesn't make him low birthweight of
calving ease for all breeds. I had a gentleman stop by to look at the Angus, he had bought a low birthweight balancer bull and had to pull most of his heifers calves. It's better to have a live calf than a dead calf of any color. I'l also sped the xtra few dollars and have the vet do a pelvic score - that will tell you lots about any trouble you may have calving her. Good luck!
Valerie

You have one cow. I wouldn't be worried about a potential difference of $6 a year and a half from now when you sell a calf. First priority is getting a live calf on the ground, that you didn't have to pull.

Latest posts