Angus coat not looking good

Help Support CattleToday:

TXCOWBOY

Reaction score
My black Angus cows are starting to get a rust red color on their coats. My guess is a copper deficiency. Any suggestions?

How long is their hair? We had a solid black bull whose hair turned a rust color, but it was just long hair being bleached by the sun. That would probably be best case scenario for the cause of the color change.

Ryan

The rust color is on the shaggy hair. Looks to be on the parts of the leftover winter coat. Probably is just the sun. Didn't think of that. I keep free choice mineral out all year. Been hot, sunny, and dry this year. Can't remember the cows ever looking sun bleached in the past. Trying to make things more complicated I guess. Thanks

sounds to me like you need worm the cows. if they are wormy their hair will look real shaggy an rough. so id worm them. scott

I have been noticing cattle that hold a little longer hair on the stomach and rump area. Not a lot of hair, but just enough for the sun to bleach red. I have two that do the same and I have noticed some of the cattle pics posted are holding the same hair. I keep Moorman's mineral out to my cattle. They do eat it, so I am not sure why they continue to hold the hair. I have wormed them twice, and still the hair holds. Cattle in the same pasture are super slick.

TXCOWBOY,
I would check with the extension agent to compare the minerals I am feeding with requirements in the area. May tell you something. If you haven't wormed in a while I would look at that aspect also.

this ol' farmers tale was told to me as truth.
black cattle with red tinged hair.
try throwing some scrap copper in in the water tank.
it won't work in a pond,or a tank that exchanges water.
and maybe be they just got a good laugh at me buying a roll
of 10 ga grd for the water tank :idea:

Try not to make things so hard. Odds are these are cows that hold their hair and it is sunburned. Nothing to worry about.

cowboy13":1h1pqi9y said:
It happens to most black cattle losing their winter hair. The rust color is just dead hair.
===
cowboy13,
Was thinking the same thing....but, winter coats should be gone by now........July.

cowboy13":3uk20xf6 said:
yeah but I have a maine show heifer who would be getting all the minerals she should need and she has a rust color to her hair from sun exposure, but I have another maine heifer that is jet blck and has had the same exposure as the other one. Happens to some cows and others not.
===========
Interesting...let us know what you find out.

We recently wormed our black angus and before we wormed them they had a tint on red ont their coats as well. After worming them thier coats were black and looked a lot more healthier.

I run primarily brangus cows with an Angus bull. All of the calves are 5-6 months old. They've been wormed and are really gaining weight, but one of the younger heifers has that long shaggy coat that is sun burned. Her top line is smooth and black. Her legs up to her knees are smooth and black. But she doesn't seem to want to lose that fur. I'm not worried. Her body condition is excellent.

Last year, I did have copper deficiency in the herd. It was quite different than this. Copper deficiency made the brisket, lower front ribs and flanks bronzed colored on the short summer coat. I keep 12-12 mineral out all of time now. No more copper deficiency. :)

Latest posts