Angus/Charolais X

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Hello,
I am thinking about disposing of my commercial herd (older cows) and getting some charolais F1's and retain my 3yr old Brangus bull.
My doubt is: what would this cross look like? I assume they'd be black and I hope the would be muscular.

I also have the option of getting angus influenced cows and get a Charolais bulls but since I already have the bull, I thought I'd just change cows.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Just because they are F1 Charolais does not mean they are bad or good.

Likewise with the Angus.

Without knowing or seeing the cows, no one here can advise you with any degree of certainty which ones to obtain.

Not enough info.

I'm not asking for a herd analysis. I just want to know the phenotype of the cross. That's all. I would assume they'd be black since black and polled are dominant genes.
I just want to see if anyone has that type of cross and what the calves look like as far as color.

I'll try and put it a little simpler for those that read more than there is:

"Does charolais have a dominant color gene?"

A yes or no answer would suffice.

Thanks,
Andrew

Im almost positive black would be dominate. Almost, but not completely.

I don't know if this answers your question but we had Charolais/Limosin (sp?) cross cows that were always bred to an Angus bull. They usually threw a white or gray calf, never a black one. Hope this helps.

Andrew said:
I'm not asking for a herd analysis. I just want to know the phenotype of the cross. That's all. I would assume they'd be black since black and polled are dominant genes.
I just want to see if anyone has that type of cross and what the calves look like as far as color.

brangus bull charolais cows = great calves- smokies-

ksfarmboy006":3fyzq19s said:
I doubt that the calves would be black. Most of them would be smokey gray, a golden red color, or white. From what I have seen this is what char cows throw out of black bulls. Unless of course the bull is homozygous black then the calf should
  • be black no matter what
they should be black but i wouldnt bet my life on it

Charolais white must be dominant, I have 78 calves sires by Chariolais bulls from mostly Black Angus cows and some red cows. All calfs are white , smoky or tan not a single black.

mnmt

we raise char x angus calves, they have all been smokie grey and a few white, we use a black angus bull on purebred chars.

calves will be smokies

we have a 1/2 brangus 1/2 char cow that is gray and still throws smokey calves when bred to black angus bull

Green Creek":6ufyabe6 said:
I don't know if this answers your question but we had Charolais/Limosin (sp?) cross cows that were always bred to an Angus bull. They usually threw a white or gray calf, never a black one. Hope this helps.

My cousin has a Char in with his mostly angus herd. She is bred to an Angus bull every year and this is her 3rd time throwing a white calf.

Wow!!! I'm glad I asked.

Black/Baldie is important in this area as those calves bring more at the sale. I've had a few white calves and they got docked bad.

Thanks a lot,
Andrew

There have been Black Chars around since 1972.

In that year a Charolais steer won the Denver Nationals. :lol:

Problem was........he had been dyed black and won as an Angus.
The owners feared breed politics would dictate the winners and a Charolais would not have a chance.

My neighbor, who was a Charolais breeder at the time, and was at the show, said the Angus folks raised such a stink that they got him disqualified.

The week or so before he had won a big show in Kansas City as a white calf.

Big Mac was his name and he sold to McDonalds for a large sum.
Around $100,000.00 I think?

ksfarmboy006":15rurnwj said:
Dyed black huh? Thats just downright wrong.

Well, should color be a factor in raising a good steer? Does it change his muscling? His grading? His dispostion? His showability?

There are two sides to the argument that rages even today among some Angus and Char breeders about it.

there will be some blacks and some grays. possibly some of those grays could be rattails.

Latest posts