Angus bull to breed to Braunvieh Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Braunviehjohn

Reaction score
I am thinking of breeding my braunvieh cows to Gardens Prime Star. Any comments or suggestions?

Hope to have some angus bred calves this spring. Using a heifer bull for first calves. Looking forward to it. So far, the bruanvieh cows have produced the color of the sire. I have nice red & white face calves from a hereford now. . No brindles so far. I'm afraid we will have hard time turning loose at weaning. Besides with the black bull, we could raise baldies.

He'll definitely boost marbling. Will probably improve udders and moderate milk in his daughters. Might see some 'heat' in the dispositions. Bet he'll cut frame score.

Have not seen any Prime Star calves, but used his sire, D806, for several years - very little growth in the steers, heifers were, for the most part, downsized a couple of frame scores (and 300-400 lbs) from their dams - and most are pretty danged ugly - but the ones that stayed are looking better as 5-6 year olds than they were as 2s.

I'm not familiar with the Gardens Prime Star angus sire, but we do breed our few registered Braunvieh cows to registered Angus. They wean the nicest and biggest calves of the bunch. But economically, those Braunvieh cows have to wean a big calf because they are also the biggest cows in the pasture (compared to our commercial and reg. angus cows)

Latest posts