Angus Bull EPD's - Docility

Help Support CattleToday:

kilroy60

Reaction score
Looking at buying a bull soon and just looking over the EPD's of some registered Angus and have a question concerning docility. One showing a DOC of +29, 3% and the other has DOC of +8, 75%. I'm thinking the last would be the best tempered bull but not sure if I'm reading this info correctly. Would someone help me out here understanding this trait?

Thanks

Theory - higher the number the better. I am not sure that the EPD is well refined or a sure bet. There are known lines of Angus to avoid if that is a big issue for you. Otherwise, walk among the bulls, look for placement of bulls in the group, individual behavior and ask to see the cows and walk among them, too. That would mean more to me.

Ebenezer":gblowr7h said:
Theory - higher the number the better. I am not sure that the EPD is well refined or a sure bet. There are known lines of Angus to avoid if that is a big issue for you. Otherwise, walk among the bulls, look for placement of bulls in the group, individual behavior and ask to see the cows and walk among them, too. That would mean more to me.

I agree... DOC is one of the newer angus EPD's and I'm not too confident in its complete reliability... But that said- I like to go with those with the predicted higher DOC EPD- especially if they have had the genetic profiling done on them because I work hard on trying to keep building on that trait..
Yesterday when the below zero temps hit I had a new waterer getting some ice on it- and in order to turn the thermostat on I need to take the sideplate off and get down on my back to look in and find where the thermostat was...While I was lying there working on it I felt a few drops of water on me- I looked up and their stood the 124 cow standing over me drinking from the waterer and watching me...She stayed there and kept drinking while I put the side plate back on- and then wandered off... My presence didn't excite her one bit- and that's the kind of docility I look for...

Latest posts