Angus bull and dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Dylan Biggs

Reaction score
A July Sunset.
PIC_7368.JPG

Bit of a Dam on the creek.
PIC_7411.JPG

Thought he was just taking a drink at first.
PIC_7414.JPG

Then I realized he was not interested in getting out.
PIC_7422.JPG

Maybe the dogs can coax him out he is a quiet bull.
PIC_7423.JPG

A bit of a discussion.
PIC_7429.JPG

PIC_7434.JPG

He decided to come out peacefully.
PIC_7446.JPG

Took him home and penned him and another bull overnight to leave early to the next morning. Sunrise the next morning going to load the bulls.
PIC_7471.JPG

Get to the corral and can only find one bull, finally found the other bull a mile and a half from home. So much for an early departure.
See if the dogs can load him on the trailer in the pasture.
PIC_7472.JPG

PIC_7477.JPG

Three on one ain't fair, who said life was fair.
PIC_7474.JPG

PIC_7480.JPG

PIC_7481.JPG

PIC_7482.JPG

PIC_7483.JPG

PIC_7484.JPG

Like Per says we can get a few mossies when it rains in this country.
PIC_7486.JPG

PIC_7487.JPG

Good thing he is quiet.
PIC_7493.JPG

Good Dogs, only got away 2 hours late.
PIC_7490.JPG

Windmill air pump for the fish pond. Not a real windmill I know. But pretty.
PIC_7535.JPG

PIC_7536.JPG

good pictures,, good angus bull too.... those dogs are earning their keep . getting him out of that pond and to load up in that open pasture is priceless :cowboy:

If you did not have the pictures, I would never have believed that the dogs could load a bull onto a trailer in an open field without panels or corrals. A bull that is broke to a feed sack....sure will jump up there at the sight of a bucket. Good cowboys on horseback....yea. Dogs working pretty much by themselves without a pen to limit the bull's options......I didn't even think it was possible.

Brandonm22":7jeihdtm said:
If you did not have the pictures, I would never have believed that the dogs could load a bull onto a trailer in an open field without panels or corrals. A bull that is broke to a feed sack....sure will jump up there at the sight of a bucket. Good cowboys on horseback....yea. Dogs working pretty much by themselves without a pen to limit the bull's options......I didn't even think it was possible.
we used to do it all the time all it takes is good dogs

I HAD ONE good cow dog once. she taught me that I didn't need no help with the cows. she taught em all they needed to know. she was born knowing more about working a cow than I do today. Little bitty rip that didnt' weigh 40 lbs.

I need dogs like that, I've seen several very special sheepdogs, but have never seen cattle dogs in action in person. do you train them yourself?

I've been lucky enough to see those dogs work they are remarkable-glad they got 'walk proud' loaded he was getting on the bus to my cows lol.

Great set of pics! Two impressive works - going into the water after the bull, and loading him. The bull deserves some credit too, looked like he was calm about it and just needed a little time to think about it and the right amount of pressure until he decided he wanted to load and get shut of them dogs. I've seen that done in an arena but not such an open pasture.

Seeing good work dogs in action has to be one of the most amazing sights. My little pup is from a line bred to do just that, chuck them in the paddock and let them do the work. Don't know if he'll ever get to do it, he's just a companion, maybe I'll take him to a clinic. At the moment he's sitting in the doorway watching the cat intently. :lol2:

My friend who is about 20, has a border collie and a kelpie pup (brother to mine) and they're coming along real well. I was with her and the border collie moved a mixed mob of cattle and sheep out of a paddock, diagonally through an open paddock and into their destination paddock. Never missed a beat. He's also trained to retrieve dead fish out of the commercial trout pond!

A good stock dog is worth their weight in gold.

alacattleman":1ooxusdb said:
most folks would rather have good cow dogs, then a bunch of yahoos hooping and hollaring :cboy:

If we are going to get THAT extreme, I would rather be alone and barefoot than have to work cattle with hooping and hollaring idiots.

Latest posts