Angus breeders, need mating advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch I know where you are coming from on uniformity stand point but I feel we have small enough cow numbers I don't want to pedigree limit myself after selling a bull or two to a guy then he comes back and he won't buy one as the previous ones are related....

Both Son of Butch and Jake showed me a few bulls I haven't looked at in the past as I breed mainly heifers. I don't want to breed heifer bulls out of these cows. Too much wasted growth for me and couple of them bulls I will for sure dig into deeper.

talltimber":1k6dbq8k said:
SOB, what do you make of the $EN with this bull? How would you classify this bull, as a carcass bull I assume? I'm thinking this is indicating he would increase your cow size with kept heifers.

This may be painfully obvious to some, I'm just checking myself I suppose. Trying to learn to decipher the total picture with the epd's.

His $EN totally sux and yes daughters will be very big cows and definitely not to everyone's taste.
But he has very good HP (top 10%) and top 2% CEM so I would not classify him exclusively as a carcass bull.
2 of the 7 cows are great grand daughters of Upward [a good bull] and to signify I was aware of it I pointed out that it doesn't bother me breeding a great grand daughter of a good bull to a great grandson of the same good bull.

There are a lot of interesting young sire options at every A.I. stud that could be home runs.
Another at Select Sires that interests me is Sandpoint Butkus 16829413 a Final Answer son.
In my opinion he will limit frame size despite Select's "sales pitch" that he will add a notch of frame to most herds.
And he may be more of what talltimber would be interested in using.

http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... ge?bid=313

Till-Hill":1or23hw9 said:
Son of Butch I know where you are coming from on uniformity stand point but I feel we have small enough cow numbers I don't want to pedigree limit myself after selling a bull or two to a guy then he comes back and he won't buy one as the previous ones are related....

Both Son of Butch and Jake showed me a few bulls I haven't looked at in the past as I breed mainly heifers. I don't want to breed heifer bulls out of these cows. Too much wasted growth for me and couple of them bulls I will for sure dig into deeper.

Let us know what you decide and how they turn out

Have Butkis in tank from a custom job. Just hadn't thought to use him on these cows.

Jake I will let you know. It will be next year when I get a chance to AI these cows. See what this Lock N Load Simmental does on them and how the Angus calves turn out but as of now I am really impressed.

If you guys see/hear of something that would really work well let me know. Thanks for all the help so far!

Jake, just wanting your :2cents: and expand on your thoughts about the SAV lineup. (and hopefully I'm not jacking Till Hills' thread)

I'm comparing Recharge v. Resource. Obviously full brothers, but Resource proven more than Recharge. But looking at frame, he's listed at 5.5, is there any word on him downsizing noticeably? Recharge is at 5.8 IMO I will go with the more proven brother, even though he is still $40 a straw.

Any other info you know of?

I did notice too the Resource son, Regard, currently has a CED of -12

prophet neighbor used him major issues he had a very bad experience real sad deal
Yes $B number is a real joke

the old Bando 9047 bull on your list was a good one. I saw him four times I his life a real sleeper.

Brand what were the issues with Prophet calves? We used him last 2 years on commercial heifers. Had couple to pull but nothing bad.

Yep ole 9074 is really starting to show up on the dam side of a lot of bull pedigrees. Bunch even in the SimAngus part of the world.

Till-Hill":2myph3d9 said:
Brand what were the issues with Prophet calves? We used him last 2 years on commercial heifers. Had couple to pull but nothing bad.

Yep ole 9074 is really starting to show up on the dam side of a lot of bull pedigrees. Bunch even in the SimAngus part of the world.

He brought one over to shear out for sure one blue roan and SNP to sire and dam as registered Angus. This kid 50K everything at birth and has a very small herd. But he tells some pretty windy stories as well at times. He was very high on that bull when he bought the semen. He was pretty sad when he finished shearing the calf.

torogmc81":318tgomm said:
Jake, just wanting your :2cents: and expand on your thoughts about the SAV lineup. (and hopefully I'm not jacking Till Hills' thread)

I'm comparing Recharge v. Resource. Obviously full brothers, but Resource proven more than Recharge. But looking at frame, he's listed at 5.5, is there any word on him downsizing noticeably? Recharge is at 5.8 IMO I will go with the more proven brother, even though he is still $40 a straw.

Any other info you know of?

I did notice too the Resource son, Regard, currently has a CED of -12

I haven't seen any progeny out of Recharge, can't really comment on their strengths or weaknesses versus Resource. I did however see both bulls as yearlings and Resource was by far the better bull. He was one that you picked out from a couple pens away. If a person was looking for something with a little more calving ease with similar power I would look towards the Registry bull.

I bred 2 cows to Resource this year and plan to make a run a couple of sons this year.

Latest posts