Angus-BR Destination 727-928

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie,
Have seen a few calves by him. The bulls were thick, long, but not very attractive. I hate to say anything bad, but all of them were put together alittle funny, almost like the front end and the back end didn't match. Carried alot of hair on those 3 or 4 bulls too. The one heifer I remember was a ET calf that did NOT have a good recip cow, but she was very attractive in her package just lacked some volume overall (probably due to recip). I liked her enough that I was contending bidder at the sale, it probably helped that I owned her moma :lol: The flush brother to her will make a fine bull to have commercial calves with, but he was just weirdly put together. PS saw some Objective calves the exact same way.

Wow, he's got great numbers but looks to give up some muscle and lack a little phenotypically looking at the chart of "progeny projections." I guess if you were in a bind and needed it, it sure could help the EPDs but I don't know how great the cattle would be, looking at his pic. have never seen any progeny, that I remember anyway. If you were going to use him, you might do all right mating him to the right kind of cow.

At the very least, it looks like he would be an excellent terminal choice for a commercial operation that retains ownership.

he's one of those Dick Beck bulls... Frankie you know enough about him and 3T. personally I would explore other options

We picked up some more semen Monday, so we probably won't need to "borrow" any Destination. Our ABS rep gave us the name of an OK breeder who used him heavily several years ago. I'll probably run into him at a sale and ask why/if he's not using him anymore. Thanks for the comments.

Franke,
The 15 month old bull that I posted here:
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34406
is out of BR Destination 727-928 I had two pictures of him on the post.
He is extremely thick and muscled, and very looooooong. His disposition is great.
There are a couple of things that I can cut him on. One is that he is so long that he can get stretched out and let his back drop. I see this in a lot of the longest bulls. The picture of Traveler 004, he does the same thing.
The B/R calf walks straight backed, and can stand straight backed.
I would like to see his milk lowerd since he is a 28.
I do love an extra long bull though. He is very large boned and has short legs.
His adj. WW was 754 and his YW was 1320.
He looks like he is going to be a real meaty bull.
He isn't a show bull if someone is looking for showring stock just from the back. He is straight elsewhere and has a beautiful head. If he produces how he looks, then he will pack the muscle them.
Chuckie

Chuckie":38qm9121 said:
Franke,
The 15 month old bull that I posted here:
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34406
is out of BR Destination 727-928 I had two pictures of him on the post.
He is extremely thick and muscled, and very looooooong. His disposition is great.
There are a couple of things that I can cut him on. One is that he is so long that he can get stretched out and let his back drop. I see this in a lot of the longest bulls. The picture of Traveler 004, he does the same thing.
The B/R calf walks straight backed, and can stand straight backed.
I would like to see his milk lowerd since he is a 28.
I do love an extra long bull though. He is very large boned and has short legs.
His adj. WW was 754 and his YW was 1320.
He looks like he is going to be a real meaty bull.
He isn't a show bull if someone is looking for showring stock just from the back. He is straight elsewhere and has a beautiful head. If he produces how he looks, then he will pack the muscle them.
Chuckie

I remember seeing him, but didn't realize he was a Destination bull. I liked him. Thanks....

Curious what the bull's name is???

Do you like his calves?

Oh, I knew it was older. I did not know he had been banned.

Sorry.

Yeah, it's old, and Foxx knows about mine, but in the event anyone else is interested in the bull... I have two 928 daughters, just weaned, out of 3yr-old 3/4Angus 1/4 Simmental cows. Both very nice at this point, long-bodied with good muscle, and will be staying as potential replacements.

There's a lot that I like about the bull, from an epd and genetic standpoint. I'm not an Angus purist, and don't sell photos - or breeding stock, so I don't really care all that much about whether his looks are what folks like or not.
BW not too bad - though still not sure I'd use him on virgin heifers.
WW/YW above breed average. CEM and HP above breed average. Good Docility score.
Milk @+22 - wish I could find more with decent growth/carcass that were that low! And, he's at least above zero for $EN - hard to find many AI sires that aren't pretty negative.
High marbling/ribeye epds, has all 6 of the GeneStar tenderness markers, and is one of the highest-rated Angus bulls at ABS for progeny tenderness (-.33).
Decent $W and good $B values.

I don't regret using 928 at all - and would consider him again, as a good Angus sire for my breeding program.

Tri County Steer Carcass Futurity (www.tcscf.com) in Iowa does a good job of collecting feedlot performance and carcass data for many cattle producers across the eastern half of the US. At the end of each year Tri County puts together a variety of reports on the cattle fed and harvested that year. These reports can be found on their website. They also do a sire summary if a bull has at least 5 progeny (I think) in that years test. The past few years the Destination 727-928 bull has ranked near the top, out of hundreds of bulls. I don't think any other sire has performed as well over this same time period.

Personally I don't know much about the 727-928 progeny, but based on the Tri County reports the cattle must at least have very good post weaning growth and carcass quality.

I think they grow really well. They also test out on carcass really well. http://www.rishelangus.com/salebooks/03 ... page2.html

I realize he isn't as pretty as some, and I've heard his sons are often not the prettiest either, but if you want growth, carcass, IMF and RE along with good daughters, highly fertile daughters, good milk epd, and great docility, you can't go too far wrong with him.

You may want to sell his sons for steers (which you probably sell at least 60% of your bulls as steers anyway). You will get good mothers from his daughters that stay in the herd. You will likely get upsizing with him. You might not get really low BW. And you will get higher fat than you might want, but after that, it's all good.

I am seriously considering using him for most of my cows next year. Hubby loves steers to sell, and I wouldn't mind a herd of his daughters from what I've been told.

I'm somewhat fascinated, however, that as an aged sire, he is starting to be noticed. I asked Bill Rishel about why people hadn't used him a lot. He said he didn't know either, but he produces some very fine daughters with a positive $EN (which is rare with any growth), that are good mamas, and they give their offspring good carcass too.

I just don't know of a bull I consider to meet my needs more than he does. I don't much care to have a lot of bulls to sell as we cull down to the top 15%, so to give my steer buyers a good deal is important to me. We might also eventually decide to stay on our cattle, and I'd be better off with his sons out there than most bulls I know of. He's proven he is good. Most of the rest are still hopefuls.

I guess, when you have extreme talent, good looks isn't as important.

I think I did forget to mention that he has very high HP too.

Latest posts