And you just thought our homegrown bulls were ugly

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Wait till you see what we just bought, paid money for, actually agreed to by 3 of them... But there is a plan. It will start with our heifers. We'll see if we can take some ugliness out of them. Our first stop will be the vet to get the horns off, check for fertility, and probably worm for everything possible. Then, they will go in a lot with all the food they can eat.. Might be hopeless, maybe they are just ugly naturally. I hear they are, but i have hopes we can put these bulls in the front pastures eventually. But from what i hear, you dont buy these on looks, just name.... Who can name it?

We know nothing about this type of cattle. My daughter is the one who has researched them. From what i'm seeing, these look like what they are suppose to other than being a little thin. Not a horn person either, so those have to go before i can look at them objectively.. I knew they were going to look different, just, they are so different.

For now, he will be a heifer bull.. but i may put in some choice cows with the heifers and see what they can produce. Remember my 'mutant' red bull... He ended up being our biggest producer, highest weaning weights and his calves brought highest prices. A couple years ago he was bitten on his penis by a poisonous snake, he never recovered and he had to be put down.. He did make a trip to the vet during this time, after he lost weight and our vet asked when we got that Waygu... i was like WHAT??? what is he saying...lol... Anywhoot, i'd like to see what Mutant's daughters would do with a waygu.. I'd like to see what Big Boy Jr jr's daughters will do mixed with waygu...

Did you get one of these studs?

Sadly, looks a lot like them, but, not paying that much. At first i thought it was them...lol.... they have the same fence. So now i'm concerned, are they roamers? Do they need cattle panel fences?

IDK. I thought that they were supposedly a real docile breed, so I wouldn't think that they'd be fence jumpers. I've played with the idea of ai'ing a few cows to wagyu to feed out and beef the calves just to see what all the fuss is about. Then I heard that it can take almost 3 yrs to finish the calves..
20201230185654.jpg

Technically we needed a heifer bull.. Price was right and it gives me a chance to experiment. I have a few cows i'll put in with the heifers to see what they make. Maybe its a direction i can go with my brindle obsession.. The waygu have dark points, maybe the offspring will stay brindle..

The neighbor has 200 Waygu cows. I assume most if not all are registered. He ships both bulls and heifers all over the western USA. He does AI and ET the whole 9 yards. I don't care how much you dehorn and worm. They still look ugly. Mature cows, mature bulls, yearlings, 2 year olds, what ever age..... they all look ugly. You do want to find a market and have them contracted ahead of time. Taking to the sale yard you will absolutely get killed. The neighbor uses them to breed his heifers. He claims to do well on his F1 calves. But he has the contacts so he has an outlet for them at a premium. I know about a month or so ago he hauled a pot load of Fi's to a feedlot in southern California.

Latest posts