Ancient cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

jmcinern

Reaction score
Dear Cattle Folks,

I hope you won't mind a question from an outsider. I am working on cattle in the world of ancient Greece and I have come across a description in Aristotle of cow diseases. He says:

Cattle in herds are liable to two diseases, foot sickness and craurus. In the former their feet suffer from eruptions, but the animal recovers from the disease without even the loss of the hoof. It is found of service to smear the horny parts with warm pitch. In craurus, the breath comes warm at short intervals; in fact, craurus in cattle answers to fever in man. The symptoms of the disease are drooping of the ears and disinclination for food. The animal soon succumbs, and when the carcase is opened the lungs are found to be rotten.

I know that some of you have had to deal with hoof problems but does anyone have any ideas about Aristotle's "craurus"? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Best wishes,

J.

Well, as something like this is want to do for me, I googled craurus, and of course Aristotle's mention of it was the only thing that I came up with. However...I found that he said craurus was connected with diarrhea. Now, I do know that in baby calves diarrhea/scours can make the calf susceptible to Pneumonia...ergo...

Dun's diagnosis is right on, as far as I'm concerned...AND, he did it without all the falderal that I spouted! 8)

Alice

warpaint":8rjf0j6v said:
Bein neither Greek nor ancient, :shock: , I'd be inclined to agree with Dun.

So which one are you saying Dun is, Greek or Ancient? :lol:

Workinonit Farm":e6na4bbg said:
3MR":e6na4bbg said:
warpaint":e6na4bbg said:

Knowing warpaint, I'd say he's insinuating that dun is ancient. ;-)

Katherine

Which by the way - he is. Even older than me.

Bez>

Bez>":36tsls0x said:
Workinonit Farm":36tsls0x said:
3MR":36tsls0x said:
warpaint":36tsls0x said:

Knowing warpaint, I'd say he's insinuating that dun is ancient. ;-)

Katherine

Which by the way - he is. Even older than me.

Bez>

:eek: I didn't that was possible! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dun and Aristotle were in the same biology class. :lol:

Kinda like the whole chicken/egg question: Which came first, the dun or the cow?

cfpinz

Latest posts