an old story

Help Support CattleToday:

bward

Reaction score
This happened about 25 years ago, back when my better half worked a couple long days at the auction market each week.
We were calving and I was alone while he was at work, and I noticed a cow, a nice compact Simmental who was continually laying out flat in the pasture. She would lay like that with her tail up and would not push or do anything but lay there with a blank look on her face. She didn't seem to be distressed but even at my lack of experience I could tell something was not right.

When he comes home from working at about 8 o'clock I explain the problem with the cow and told him we really needed to go out and bring the cow in but he was just too wiped out to do anything more that day and said she was on her own.

The next morning as soon as it was light enough to see we both went out and found this cow doing pretty much the same thing. It took about an hour to get her across the creek through the fields and many gates later into the corral and in the squeeze. An examination revealed a tail and............. another tail. So he loaded her up and drove her the hour long trip to the vet.

He came back two hours later with an intact healthy cow and two lively twins. Amazing. She had never gone into active pushing because nothing had entered the birth canal, the placenta did not break down which was a major reason the calves survived and also they were both still contained within the sack.

She raised both calves to 600 pounds and had twins the following year, this time on her own. She was an awesome cow and we were very lucky.

Sounds like a super cow! 1200lbs of weaned calf, and she bred back and had twins again. That is great.

I had a cow that went through a stretch of having twins 5 out of 7 years. She would generally wean between 8-900 lbs when she had twins. I was disappointed the last year when she only had one, but she was so old, I don't think she could have raised twins. :shock:

your cow knew her calves wasnt in position to get in the borth canal.so she just layed flat.trying to get them in position.an waited for yall to pen an help her.

Latest posts