Amount of professional cattle hoof trimmers?

Help Support CattleToday:

kim

Reaction score
I need some help. I'm writing a descriptive essay for my college english class about the process of cattle hoof trimming. I've interviewed a very nice man who does hoof trimming for a living and he allowed me to follow his around for a little bit to observe so I've got the proscess down. However I wanted to include some numbers, maybe the number of people who work as hoof trimmers countrywide or statewide (california) or maybe even world wide. I can't seem to dig it up, the hoof trimmer also did not know. I can't find anything related on yahoo or google and I don't know where else to look. Does anyone know where I could find this information? If not that does anyone have any ideas of number facts or statistics I should add or add focus to? The essay will be passed around amoung a group of 40 students in riverside county (very little agriculture around here anymore) some of them have never seen a cow besides on televison, so I'm hopeing they will learn alittle bit of what it takes to get that meat on their tables, even if it reaches just a few people. Any help is greatly appreciated and any comments will be considered. Thanks in advanced!

The only people I know that trim cattle hoofs professionaly are a pretty closed group. The only advertising they have is word of mouth. Commercial cattle ranchers rarely need to use them . If they have a cow or bull with a hoof problem the vet will usually do the work. The professionals usually specialize with show cattle. The best people to talk to will be breeders that show their cattle. Maybe if you went to a show you could get some info. on the subject.
There is a man in my area that does hoof trimming all over the world. If you would like his name and phone number PM me and I will be happy to give it to you.

Your large animal vet clinic could probably tell you if there are trimmers in the area. Also if you have a vet school you could contact them and they may know of trimmers. You could check with feed mills and farm supply stores as well, they often have bulletin boards with cards of folks providing services.

I have only once ever seen cattle with the need for trimming - at the sale barn when I was a kid. Grampa explained it was because they had probably been on soft irrigated fields. Rough rocky country around here keeps hooves pretty healthy.

Having said that, I see cattle hoof trimmers in the vet catalogs and wonder how many people that need this done just learn to do it themselves? I know if I needed it done regular I would probably learn to do it to save money. On the other hand horse shoeing is worth what ever is asked (my back can't handle it) so maybe not???

Hooftrimming is pretty much a dying art here in SA, I know of two firms in all of SA that do it professionally. With the shortened productive life of dairy cows due to higher production there is rarely any need for hoof trimming anymore. Before they reach the age where hoof trimming might become neccesary they are culled anyway.

Structurally sound cattle should wear their hooves down symmetrically and evenly and will have maintenance free hooves or their productive life if they spent the majority of their time out grazing and walking thus wearing the hooves down naturally.

crewboss":29ztvs50 said:
I need a trimmer in so cal. Can you get me name? or number? I'll pm you.

Aren;t there any dairys left in san diego or imperial county? What about up by the wild animal park? Dairys are the only outfits I know thta regualry get their cattles feet trimmed.

Kim,

There are alot of mis-conceptions about hoof trimming in the beef cattle community. I am a hoof trimmer and own a business with 3 employees. 99% of our business is dairy cattle. We do have 3 large beef cattle operations that trim their hooves every year but it is not common.

Latest posts