Am I right or wrong?

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
I think I deserve a huge grant, and then a noble prize.....................because for the past several years I have been paying close attention....almost tempted to keep notes on it.......but....it's just got to be true.............

Have you ever noticed..................when your wilder cows drop a calf.........as soon as it hits the ground , it too is as wild as momma, and the calmer cows, also have calm calves, that are so much easier to handle? And I am talking about new borns, minutes or hours old, not days old, never long enough to imprint the wild, or calm traits from momma. These last two calves have confirmed it for me. It has to be inherited!

Please tell me if you all agree or disagree?

Now as far as that grant goes....How much ya think I should ask for, so that I can purchase a huge herd of subject and control cattle, and document this fact?

And who wants an invite to the awards ceremony when I get my Nobel prize? Come as you are,coveralls, and overalls are just fine as far as I am concerned.
:cboy:

I agree 100 % I have one pretty wild cow and her calves are the same way when they are born however when you wean the calves
of the wild momma they then become calm as the rest of the herd
I only keep her because she has calv every year just like clockwork and everytime i want to get rid of her me wife reminds me about the nice heifers we have going in a different pasture out of her but maybe you are on to something.

i only agree about 85%. Crazies will have lil balls of fire but sometimes the pet cows calves have a screw loose too. Take "Pet" and "Evil Pet" for instance.

I agree with you. Temparment has a lot to do with genetics and I bet they would give you a grant for studying it. Hmmm... maybe I should get a grant too and then we can see if it is the same for American AND Canadian cattle. ;-)

Start the study....even though anybody who has spent anytime with calving cows will be able to tell you that that is the truth at least 99.9999999% of the time...But there is always the exceptions you know the pet that comes outta the crazy and follows you around getting you chased or the pet that has the crazy little bugger that could stir up a herd and get you in a load of trouble with other Momma's!! Yup we need this information documented!!

I'll have to be somewhat of a dissenter on this one. While I'm sure it is true to a degree, I've seen wild calves from very calm cows and vice versa. The calmest heifer I kept from last years crop came off of what is arguably the wildest limoX cow in the herd. I've seen calves from the calmest of cows turn absolutely ballistic in the pens. I judge them on there own merit. But that's just my experience.

for me having bra F1 cows its a toss up with the calves. some of the cows are a little more high strung than others but its no predictor of the calves.on strait bred cattle it would be more predictable.like a maybe a herford that a little off balance might pass it on to the calf .

i agree. we got three af them thar wild cows but one of em just droped a calf and is fairly calm now. the other 2 are just plain dumber than a box of rocks. but they might calm down with ther calf. if they dont ole well.
Millerlite

I had this discussion with a guy who had a bunch of recip cows. He believed it was a learned behavior. He said the wild cows almost always raised a wild calf.

I'm not sure there is as much correlation to behavior in cattle as in horses. I used to think the same as Medic is seeing.

Now I have some that were hand raised and are as calm as can be. Some of their offspring are as wild as can be. I have a Hereford cow I bought as a cow/calf pair. She turned wild upon release from the trailer. I can still walk up to her calf (now a big ol cow) with no problems. The calf this Hereford cow currently has on her is WILD.

I have a replacement heifer in the pen now that I can't get no where near her mom but this replacement is calm as can be. That is main reason I kept her plus she grew off better than some others. I have "dinner" in the pen being fattened. His dam and sire are very easy to get along with. "Dinner" however wants to charge even at feeding time. Won't be sorry to have him in the freezer. Just my take on what I see with my stock.

I tend to agree but then I also wonder if maybe some of the genetics might be passed on by the sire as well. I have a good cow that is just like a rocket if you try to get her up and do anything with her. She raises a hellacious calf every year, they are usually a little hyper but by the time they are weaned and put on a little feed they usually calm down. I have a bull that is huge, easy going, I don't know if you could make him mad. I have a heifer that has already had her first calf-this heifer is out of this wild cow and this big, easy going bull. You can walk up to this heifer anywhere, any time and pet her, touch her, pull on her horns, milk her whatever. The only thing I can think of is it must be some of his genetics that took over. Most of his other offspring is pretty well natured too. I've said time and time again that I can't believe that Valentine could be responsible for birthing such a mild mannered heifer.

Have to agree that we can't forget the bull; he did have some part in it...I think.

Then I agree too that it is a learned behavior, b/c we hand feed every replacement heifer, and we've turned some wildies into pets or at least workable critters. I've only ever had 2 that I can think of who just were outright carnivores, that no amount of TLC helped, and they both came from quiet cows - go figure. Maybe they had a recessive EXT gene in 'em! :p :p :p :p :lol:

Latest posts