Almost Weaning Time

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
It has been a while since I have posted on these boards. I graduated from the Texas A&M Veterinary School in May of this year and have been working in north Texas as a mixed-animal veterinarian for the past few months. In all honesty, there has been a bit of a learning curve, but I really am excited for several more decades in this career!

The drought here has been hard on our pastures, but we have been fortunate that the cattle are holding up so well. We will be weaning early this year, likely in the next 2-3 weeks. Some of our smaller groups, such as the first-calf heifers, have been getting hay here and there, but we have not had to start feeding the main cow herd yet. The fall-calving group of heifers has done well this year. The first expected due date was September 23rd. By October 4th, 14 of our 15 heifers had calved. We still have one hold out, but she has bagged up and is due at any time. We used a young bull this year that appears to be shorter gestation, but his calves are born with natural thickness and vigor, despite being on the smaller side. That same bull, BB Backbone's Brigadier, bred a large chunk of our cow herd this spring, including some of our framier females, so I am curious to see if that continues to hold true.

301 Bull- This was the first bull calf born in the spring 2023 calving season. He is sired by Fox Hill Francois, a Murray Grey bull that was born and raised in New York. He has had tremendous thickness from day 1 and continues to impress us with his growth and natural muscling.
301 Bull (7 months)(1).jpg

303 Bull- This bull is honestly one that I am really excited about. We have been needing to add some darker pigmentation to the herd for several years now, and at this point in time, this bull looks like he has potential to be a herd bull candidate. He was 78 lbs at birth and is pictured here at 7 months of age. His dam, BB Goldie, is an 8 1/2 year old daughter of Cadella Park Golden Boy and is our most consistent producer.
303 Bull (7 months).jpg

304 Heifer- This heifer is a 7 month old daughter of BB Backbone's General that can be traced back to our old Guernsey cross cow. She is 7/8ths Murray Grey x 1/8th Guernsey.
304 Heifer (7 months).jpg

305 Bull- This particular calf is sired by the New Zealand Murray Grey bull, Ballee Thumbs Up. His dam is a daughter of BB Uncle Tony and this is just her second calf.
305 Bull (7 months).jpg

312 Heifer- 6 1/2 month old daughter of BB Backbone's General and out of OK Sally (full sister to BB Uncle Tony)
312 Heifer (6.5 months).jpg

BB Gypsy- A BB Backbone's General daughter with her first calf.
014 (3.5 years).jpg

And this last picture shows BB Backbone's General at 8 1/2 years. He is the sire of the females pictured and he has been our predominant herd bull for the last 5 years. We have 11 of his daughters in production currently and 14 more in our replacement heifer group. Two of his sons will also be utilized in the summer 2024 breeding season. This bull is one that we raised and sold as a yearling, and then bought back as a 3 1/2 year old. He has truly been a game changer for our program and we were fortunate enough to collect semen from him so that we can continue to have his calves for years to come.
BB Backbone's General (8.5 years).jpg

Nice cattle as always! Congratulations on graduating vet school. That is a major accomplishment. I'm sure the folks that live there are glad to have you working there. It's always good to hear more large/mixed animal vets coming into practice, as many areas are hurting for them as older vets begin retiring, and not being able to be replaced in some cases.

Bringing back a thread here. Love em as always! Who is the sire of the 303 bull?
It has been a while since I checked CattleToday and I saw this thread on top! The sire of the 303 bull is Victory Power Play. I have included a photo of him as a 3 year old. He was a frame 6 and weighed over 2500 lbs at maturity.
Victory Power Play (3 years)(1).jpg

And these were photos of the 303 bull taken shortly before weaning. At this point in time, he is one of two that we are retaining for in-herd use.
303 Bull (7.5 months).jpg303 Bull (7.5 months)(1).jpg

@Backbone Ranch These Murray Greys. Are they grey or white, or do they carry a dilute gene like Charolais? If bred to black bulls, can you get a black calf?
The majority of our herd is silver in color. They are a shade darker than a Charolais. Most of the animals in the breed are homozygous black, despite being silver in color. The silvers carry two copies of the diluter gene and the dark greys carry one. They are a bit more unpredictable when it comes to color than a Charolais when breeding to a mixed herd, but a silver bull over Black Angus cows will produce a dark grey/chocolate colored calf. These are some of our 50% Angus x 50% Murray Grey cows when they were 7 1/2 years.

DH Betty and DH Corrine (7.5 years).jpg

Awesome calves ! I like the looks of all those . Do you make farm calls and would you move to northeast Alabama ? 🤠
Thank you! I work at a clinic that does make farm calls, and I really do enjoy them. I see it as an opportunity to get to know the area better, meet producers, and it is a nice change of pace from the routine appointments. As for moving, I am rather attached to this neck of the woods!

Thank you! I work at a clinic that does make farm calls, and I really do enjoy them. I see it as an opportunity to get to know the area better, meet producers, and it is a nice change of pace from the routine appointments. As for moving, I am rather attached to this neck of the woods!
There's no place like home . My brother and I drove from Dallas/Ft Worth to Houston last summer . Despite the drought we saw some beautiful country . We visited UT , A&M and a couple of other campuses . Our major destination was the Rangers and Astro's ball parks . Great trip !

Last edited:

Latest posts