Almost Turkey Season

Help Support CattleToday:

You got me with the photo shop lol, I was looking at it on my phone and thought you had cut the beard off. Those Rio's will really gobble good and like to stay in big flocks. I've never hunted them but I heard em gobbling up in Kansas while deer hunting. They were gobbling in early December. Are you blowing on your hand between your thumb and pointer finger to call with your mouth and hand or just using your mouth with a cupped hand? Have you tried using a leaf? You have to find the right textured leaf, I can do it a little with a dogwood but I know you don't have dogwood in western Oklahoma. Pull the leaf tight between your lips and blow.

CF you got me fired yesterday and it was so pretty last night I knew it was going to be good this morning. I wasn't wrong.
IMAG0520.jpg

IMAG0522.jpg

IMAG0523.jpg

He was a good bird. He put a real good show on for me, gobbling and strutting in the full sun about 40 yards from me for about 10 minutes.

Deepsouth":1yka1rer said:
sim.-ang.king":1yka1rer said:
Got opener in the morn., and my birthday so hope no one has any plans for me cause I will be MIA.
Sim.-ang.king must still be MIA. :D
Nope i'm back.
Didn't get the bird, but my mom got her first, so it's all good I guess.
Then got busy planting corn and got to tired to get up and good, know how that goes :(

sim.-ang.king":7wxksjog said:
Deepsouth":7wxksjog said:
sim.-ang.king":7wxksjog said:
Got opener in the morn., and my birthday so hope no one has any plans for me cause I will be MIA.
Sim.-ang.king must still be MIA. :D
Nope i'm back.
Didn't get the bird, but my mom got her first, so it's all good I guess.
Then got busy planting corn and got to tired to get up and good, know how that goes :(

Good to here from ya Sim I was about ready to call Illinois search and rescue.
Congrats to your mom.

Well I hope that was fired up and not fired as in having to find a new job. Looks like it was a good morning.

Regarding calling, I guess the best way to describe it would be that I curl me lips in over my teeth, and inhale with a quite a bit of pressure. Just doing that it will sound like a high pitch squeal out of the corners of your mouth. But if you cup your hand and apply pressure against your teeth just under your nose but curl your hand to block air movement from the corners it will force air to move in the center and vibrate across your lips. With a little practice you won't have to worry about forgetting your call again.

Well I was driving past one of are corn fields, and saw two toms scratching around, and a couple jakes, hens mixed in.
If I get to bed tonight i'm going after them.

Commercialfarmer":2aqcd71d said:
Well I hope that was fired up and not fired as in having to find a new job. Looks like it was a good morning.

Regarding calling, I guess the best way to describe it would be that I curl me lips in over my teeth, and inhale with a quite a bit of pressure. Just doing that it will sound like a high pitch squeal out of the corners of your mouth. But if you cup your hand and apply pressure against your teeth just under your nose but curl your hand to block air movement from the corners it will force air to move in the center and vibrate across your lips. With a little practice you won't have to worry about forgetting your call again.

Ok I tried it and like to have passed out. I think I'll just make sure I don't forget my caller. ;-)

Deepsouth":e0hn506o said:
Commercialfarmer":e0hn506o said:

Ok I tried it and like to have passed out. I think I'll just make sure I don't forget my caller. ;-)
:lol: not quite that much pressure. Probably best to say establish negative pressure and then lower your jaw as needed for air to flow and sound to be created. Shouldn't make you pass out, but you might find some muscles you didn't know you had.

First turkey. Went to shoot him and the slide on my pump shotgun hadn't closed all the way so I just got a "click" 
Jacked another round in with him staring at me. He never moved while I fumbled around and all. 

photo-86.jpg

Another one taken here. Just dropped my daughter of at the bus stop and this behemoth walked thru the field flowing some hens. Shotgun wasn't handy. I wasn't in camo. I grabbed the nearest rifle which was a 17hmr.  Hid behind the ac unit. Shot him twice. 23 lbs, 10.5", and 1.5" spurs. Made floridas top 10 birds for that year. Not as much fun though since it wasn't a hunt per say

photo-87.jpg

Yes sir. Guy that does my mounts is awesome. He does all bps exec's mounts too. Really good work

Latest posts