Almost that time of year again

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":23gxj39m said:
Yeah, but those dates will/can vary from 1-2 weeks early to 1-2 weeks late!
Congrats on the twins if both survived. Generally, they are the first to calve because they "generally" like to come early.
Some of you know this - but - I HATE TWINS.!!! For the few "good" sets - the twisted, mixed up sets more than offset anything that might be good about them. Plus the extra strain on dam. IMO
I agree! I hate twins.

Isomade":24onuf4t said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":24onuf4t said:
Yeah, but those dates will/can vary from 1-2 weeks early to 1-2 weeks late!
Congrats on the twins if both survived. Generally, they are the first to calve because they "generally" like to come early.
Some of you know this - but - I HATE TWINS.!!! For the few "good" sets - the twisted, mixed up sets more than offset anything that might be good about them. Plus the extra strain on dam. IMO
I agree! I hate twins.

Though I'm super glad the last set was healthy, I still wish it were a single calf... I was hoping to back up the dam's calving date for next year to be a little sooner. Opted to wait 3 months to let her recover, was probably best, she caught real easy. Hope she doesn't decide to repeat, I'll be happy enough with one sound calf.

I know there is a slight variation with the due dates, but at least you know when to expect it and you can plan what season you want to calve in. I'm not a big fan of twins myself, have had more than I care to. This set seems to be getting along just fine.

Just got a call from a friend who is hunting on the farm this morning and said there was a new calf. My only heifer to calve did it unassisted last night or early this am. Once it warms up a little I'll take my little girl to out to the farm to "check" on the cows so she can find the new calf.

I only have 3 due for the month of January. One born so far. bulls 0, heifers 1

We AI'd this past year for the first time also.. I'm so excited to see the babies! We did 20 heifers.. 10 to Sureshot and 10 to Thunderbird. They're not due till the 15th of Feb though.. I can't wait! Then we have our older mama cows which are due to start the 20th of Feb.. :D

I've started my "spring" calving!! Got 2 - bull & heifer (no not twins!!!). Got 11 "on deck" in the "up close maternity lot". Discusting, nasty MUD everywhere (mostly still under the snow - but have you ever gone walking thru a lumpy, bumpy lot with smooth layer of snow on top & 8" of mud below?)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":11dno520 said:
I've started my "spring" calving!! Got 2 - bull & heifer (no not twins!!!). Got 11 "on deck" in the "up close maternity lot". Discusting, nasty MUD everywhere (mostly still under the snow - but have you ever gone walking thru a lumpy, bumpy lot with smooth layer of snow on top & 8" of mud below?)
Yea that sure makes feeding hay in that mud fun doesn't it? :???: Three yrs ago I got every vehicle I owned stuck in the snow/mud because it snowed 6 inches, but the ground underneath hadn't froze yet and that snow acted like a blanket to keep everything thawed underneath. Then a couple weeks later we had sub zero temps and my tractor gelled up (I forgot the power service); it was too soft to feed with a truck and too cold for a tractor without additives. I had ruts going thru all the gate openings 18 inches deep. That was fun! :mad:

Oh, yes. You put ruts in everywhere, then anyplace the mud/dirt is exposed & you get freezing weather, the ruts freeze. Does wonders for the front end of a tractor. At least now I have a 4WD, so front end tires are bigger.
And, as you said, the snow insulates the ground from freezing, so when you try to avoid the already made ruts - you make NEW ONES!!!
I'm starting to believe in global warming. Our winters are the pits!

We are about a month away from the first calves and i am drooling at what a few of them could look like!

I can't wait either. I have a lot of fun every year deciding which bull to breed to each cow. I can't wait to see what they look like. I have three due any day, two are heifers.

Latest posts