Almost that time of year again

Help Support CattleToday:

Kscattle

Reaction score
As Christmas and New Years rolls around I tend to get anxious to start seeing new baby calves hitting the ground next month. Anticipation is killing me, waiting to see my conception rates an results from the chosen ai bulls that I used last spring. I've been seeing great results from previous yrs aiing and want to progress even more to keep improving what I already have.
Good luck to each of you on the upcoming calving/breeding season. I'm sure some of you are as excited as I am!
Kscattle :santa:

In Ontario, I bet you don't. It is a nasty time of year here too. Not as cold but damp, cloudy, cold, wet and mud. But so is spring here but at least the temperatures improve and sometimes it will dry up some.

When calving arrives it will mean I've made it through 6 more weeks of winter. That will be reason enough to celebrate.

Got about 5 "due" late Jan thru mid Feb but only one 1st time heifer and she should be the first one of the bunch. Get her out of the way and I'll breathe and sleep easier. The others will be late spring calving.

I agree! We pregchecked heifers the other day and the one who took to the AI has me really fired up for a calf. She will pop in Feb.

She is out of an amazing Angus cow and the Gelbvieh bull Ideal Legacy and is bred to Ozz Govenor. This calf should be a dandy. If it's a heifer it has a great chance to stay and if it's a bull it should be a dandy.

I used Hoover dam, trust,efficient, and new standard this yr. all abs bulls, I have one real nice new standard hfr that's gonna calve this yr, she's bred to trust. As mild as this winter has been I hope things breeze through like last year.

Kscattle":1t5vyrdi said:
I used Hoover dam, trust,efficient, and new standard this yr. all abs bulls, I have one real nice new standard hfr that's gonna calve this yr, she's bred to trust. As mild as this winter has been I hope things breeze through like last year.

I had a New Standard son that was a dandy. I sold him last year but retained a semen interest. I will most likely collect him before he goes for salvage.

I pulled the first 7 into my "close up" paddock. Due from 1-11 to 1-17. Some are due to JF Milestone. I had some fall Milestone calves and they are kick-butt good!
I'm anxious in more ways than one. Anxious - excited, and anxious - nervous.

Do you all mind to elaborate more on the New Standard offspring.I love his numbers but have never seen any calves.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3dg8htie said:
I pulled the first 7 into my "close up" paddock. Due from 1-11 to 1-17. Some are due to JF Milestone. I had some fall Milestone calves and they are kick-butt good!
I'm anxious in more ways than one. Anxious - excited, and anxious - nervous.
Jeanne
How many Milestone calves did you get this fall? He is on my radar to watch. We have our first Steel Force due the end of January, sexed a heifer, so really excited about that one.

Warrior2154":3pq9t2i4 said:
Do you all mind to elaborate more on the New Standard offspring.I love his numbers but have never seen any calves.

I've seen several of his calves/hfrs and they are pretty good, they have wide rear ends and fertility is pretty good as well. I can try and get some pics tomorrow when it's light out but I like their overall performance. I'm sure there are better bulls out there but I like to stay in the middle region on epd's

Kscattle":1tlyykp4 said:
Warrior2154":1tlyykp4 said:

I've seen several of his calves/hfrs and they are pretty good, they have wide rear ends and fertility is pretty good as well. I can try and get some pics tomorrow when it's light out but I like their overall performance. I'm sure there are better bulls out there but I like to stay in the middle region on epd's

Appreciate that. You will like your Hoover dam offspring. I have seen a lot f his progeny and all have had good depth of body and overall phenotypically sound.

FSR - I had 4. 3 heifers & 1 bull. Two of the heifers were ET's out of my donor cow Power Lass, and the 3rd was a red one out of our War Diva daughter CLO Sweet Sensation. The bull was out of our donor Gina. Out of the 7 fall calves, 5 were heifers :banana:
I'm working on getting a video camera - so one of these days I'll get some videos of them & post.

Kscattle":3fk9ir2e said:
As Christmas and New Years rolls around I tend to get anxious to start seeing new baby calves hitting the ground next month. Anticipation is killing me, waiting to see my conception rates an results from the chosen ai bulls that I used last spring. I've been seeing great results from previous yrs aiing and want to progress even more to keep improving what I already have.
Good luck to each of you on the upcoming calving/breeding season. I'm sure some of you are as excited as I am!
Kscattle :santa:

Starting to get excited and nervous as well. My first ones to calf will be nine Horned Hereford/Angus cross heifers A.I.ed to easy calving black angus "High Design". Due to start calving Feb. 8th. B&G

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1bsuds6j said:
FSR - I had 4. 3 heifers & 1 bull. Two of the heifers were ET's out of my donor cow Power Lass, and the 3rd was a red one out of our War Diva daughter CLO Sweet Sensation. The bull was out of our donor Gina. Out of the 7 fall calves, 5 were heifers :banana:
I'm working on getting a video camera - so one of these days I'll get some videos of them & post.

That would be great! Would love to see those babies. :)

First year to use AI. Supposed to start calving around Feb 18. Anticipation is tough. I'm still in awe of the whole process.

We are starting to calve our first set of AI calves now. First ones were a set of twins out of an angus bull called Papa Equator. Really excited to see how my senepols do. It's a big difference from calving all year long with a bull and not knowing when anything is due, to Ai when there is a definite date.

Yeah, but those dates will/can vary from 1-2 weeks early to 1-2 weeks late!
Congrats on the twins if both survived. Generally, they are the first to calve because they "generally" like to come early.
Some of you know this - but - I HATE TWINS.!!! For the few "good" sets - the twisted, mixed up sets more than offset anything that might be good about them. Plus the extra strain on dam. IMO

Latest posts