All This Talk - Ever Give One Away?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez!

Reaction score
I figure this should go on the Coffee Shop, but seems like they all end up on the Beginners Board. I like to think I am not a beginner, but I do learn a whole bunch of new stuff every day - so here goes:

Sure seems like a pile of folks want to know how much you paid for this animal or that animal - most expensive, least expensive and so on. Half the time it's none of their business. I figured if they needed to know, I would probably just tell them.

Then again I have been known to actually just give the odd one away. Usually to some kid starting out or some local kids looking to raise money for a school project or just to give a family going through some tough times a chance to have a few bits of beef for the upcoming winter.

Money has been scarce around here for the past three years, but we always have all the food we can handle - so we tend to pass a bit out now and then when we see a spot it might be needed.

Anyone here ever give one away? And I am NOT talking about getting a kick in the @ss at the sale barn. 8)

Unless I miss my guess, there are a few hard nosed S.O.B.'s out there that have probably given at least one away. Must be at least one or two stories out there.

Sometimes that favour comes back in some strange ways. Last year a fellow came by here one day to drop off a couple of moose steaks and a roast. I did not know who he was until he told me his mom and dad fed him and his family some of my "free" beef three years ago. This was when he was hard down on his luck. I did not even know about him - just his folks. He was back on his feet - so were his folks - and he wanted to say thanks.

Go figure. Seemed like a nice enough fellow - I sure know his folks are - and the moose was well prep'd. Tasted real good too.

Regards

Bez!

In a manner of speaking you might say I gave one away.It was a Jersey/Murray Grey cross heifer.Looked good.I made the mistake of selling her to my brother-in-law by marriage.He paid a fair price for her,and aked me if he could leave her there until he could get back down there with a trailer to pick her up. I said "sure".....he came back to get her 6 months later,expected her to be bred (which was not in the deal),and did not offer to pay any on her feed or vet supply bills. You live and learn. But, like Bez says....what goes around will someday come aroound. :cboy:

Bez!,

My apologies for starting that thread, "WHat's the LEAST...."

It was kind of rebellious in one way. I do admire those who suffice through thick and thin and show a bit of inginuity. Those who throw good money out or fall victim to horse traders don't get much of my sympathy.

I like a good story from a crafty individual and don't mean to pry into folks personal affairs, who aren't inclined to share them. Sorry if I was prying, that wasn't my actual intent but I guess it goes that way when I think about it.

Folks help me out and I have helped folks out myself. You are right about "what goes around coming around."

You folks only have tohit the reply button once! :lol:

I am seeing double posts and no I have not been drinking.

Bez!

This past year after both hurricanes hit, our parish had several hundred people in the local civic center. I found out through the "grapevine" that our sheriff's department was cooking meals for them, instead of having them eat MRE's all the time.

While repairing fences and looking at the cows a couple of days later, it hit me: I could give a steer to give the sheriff's dept. to have a big 'ol bar-b-que. At the time I had two black baldy steers around 600 lbs that would have fit the bill.

Unfortunately, by the time I arranged a deal with the local slaughter house and called the sheriff's dept., they were already moving people to Baton Rouge to larger shelters, and they decided not to do it. :( Would have been nice for them to have chowed down on some good home grown beef.

Never gave any cattle away. Being a hobbiest I have very few to part with :)

Have given away some show pigs to a couple of my nieces and a pony to a lady once , was going to try to sell it but met a lady that did not have any money to spare to buy her, and I could tell she would take good care of the pony and probably treat it better than I did my kids, so I told her if she took good care of it she could just have her.

I have a few friends who help me out quite a bit and never let me pay them so every year when we butcher I divide a half of a steer between them.

Well, here's two stories of giving cattle away. The first is about Darla, who graced the pages before her death a couple of years ago. When she learned her tumours had spread to her brain, she decided to give a pair of heifers to a lad IN CANADA who she had been corresponding with. Now Darla lived in Missouri, so it was a pretty big deal. The lad absolutely loved cattle and Darla wanted to do something special. She met him for the first time when the cattle were delivered to a farm near where he lived. (I was there)

The second story is about my cow Zuri. Now Zuri is a Simmental cow weighing in at about 1700 lbs. She'd had twins (heifers) unassissted two years in a row, both in January and the second time, her body condition wasn't great. It was about 10 below and she was having a really hard time, couldn't milk enough for the two calves, or in fact even one (and her calves the previous year weaned off over 800lbs each) so I decided to give her an amazing home, and donated her to the Ontario Veterinary College as a teaching animal. Now this is a gentle giant, which could be milked in the field if necessary, and students would never be hurt by her deliberately. She's still there about 5 years later, at 14 years of age.

Haven't given away a live one, but have shared some beef with a few who needed it. Have also given a hog (live) to a friend/neighbor for their assistance during a tough time. Have also given a few chickens, rabbits and ducks to local kids to get them started.

Katherine

we award a scholarship heifer away every year to a young person that can use the heifer in their herd or can sell it in our sale to go to school expenses.

I gave a couple away this past year but they were for a good cause and I'm proud that I did. Now, I'm not telling this to toot my own horn, maybe I shouldn't even tell it but here goes. Actually, I gave one to some friend's son-they are on this board. I had a little heifer that came up with a limp-I think that what really happened was that the neighbor's horse injured her when they were all running togther but I'm not for sure. Anyway, I woudn't have been able to sell the heifer except over the scales and she wouldn't have brought much that way. She somehow wound up with her hip dislocated so she looks a little whop sided but she'll still be able to breed and raise calves so I gave her to these friend's son-he can raise his own calves from her and get a start. She has good genetics and I knew that he would love and care for her and appreciate her.

The other one that I gave was actually a donation lot to be sold and raise money for someone. Larry, my partner's daughter is now 24 years old-she had a four wheeler accident back in October which has left her paralyzed from the chest down. I asked the Longhorn Association in Ft Worth if I could donate a heifer to be auctioned off last Novemeber with the proceeds going toward Amy's expenses. The heifer was sold a total of nine times at the beginning of the Horn Showcase sale. Someone would buy her and donate her back to be sold again. She brought a total of $13,300.00 for Amy. I was so glad to be able to do this for her and one thing I have to say for our friends and fellow Longhorn breeders-they sure do help folks out in a time of need. I was a little teary eyed during this auction-I'm not ashamed to say that I felt a little emotional. Amy is doing well and is making some slow progress. She's in a wheelchair and still has no use of her lower body. Anyway, that's the one thing I did last year that I'm very proud of and again I'm not telling this to brag so I don't want anyone to think that.

Never right out gave one away...had some that I wanted to shoot but then didn't we all...anyway we've traded shares in animals for labor, seems to maintain the dignity all around. We do have a asian community that we give our speciality meats (everything except the hide and intestines) when we slaughter.
Just like the folks say...may not have what we want but always have what we need. DMc

2 rasied and butchered for a street mission in Springfield,MO.
I try to get it to them after the first of the year when other donations fall off. Ok, maybe those people could do something
to rectify their situation, but the kids don't have any choice.

When I retired from the military after 32 years and bought this little place, I started volunteering at the local food bank. Then it hit me...I'm fairly fortunate and some are not so. I decided to raise one calf for slaughter and give to the "Brown Bag" program at the food bank. 400lbs of ground beef last year and feeding one out now...hopefully another 400lbs. Our food bank has a program called "share a row" and the farmers really pitch in during growing season. Hopefully making a difference one step at a time. Cheers, Bill

We have never given an animal away, but we have a good friend who is also an A-1 mechanic, welder, "figure a way to fix-it" exceptional person. Him and his wife struggle financially, my husband and I know it, but it is never talked about, and we litterally have to hide a few bills in his truck when he's not looking and we also give him a 1/4 of beef every time we butcher. He thinks we are overly generous, but we tell him how much his services are valued and we appreciate him.

Boy, if the world was filled with people like above, it would be a whole lot nicer place to be. I guess I'm barn blind ;-)

A few years back a 16 year old girl in our community got into a car accident that left her paralyzed. There's a group of us that sell our calves together and make a special sale out of it. It was decided that everyone could donate either a whole or half a calf from the sale and give the money to the girls family. I don't think there was one person that didn't give at least half a calf.
Cattle ranchers are not the richest people in society but the ones of met are some of the most generous.

This got me started in the angus business some forty years ago. When I started 4-H I bought a heifer from a cousin and raised and showed her. That fall she got out on the road and was hit. After dad put her down and butchered her the story made the local paper. A fellow from about 50 miles away read the story and called me. He wanted me to come up to his place and pick out a heifer to replace the one I lost. Dad took me and we picked out a nice one. After we had her about 2 weeks she laid down and died. Called the man who gave to me and told what happened and said I would like to buy the other heifer we liked. He said it was not a problem. After buying heifers from him the next year he offered dad and myself 80 cows to take care of on shares. I did this until I got out high school. The heifer that replaced the one that died I had until after I was married and she had twins every year and was the first to breed back. Can never thank this guy enough so I try to make up by helping any kid I can. Especially 4-H kids.

Being a "hobby rancher" I only have 4 cows. Needless to say I dont try to make money off of them. I have them because my wife and I enjoy being around them.

I recently gave one calf to a friend of the family who is going through a nasty divorce to give to her daughter so she would have something to show at the county fair. I have one more that I'm donating to my high school's ag. department where I teach/coach. Most of the kids at my school are dirt poor so they are going to have a drawing to see who gets it so they can show also.

I'm keeping one to put in the freezer ;-)

Latest posts