All This Talk - Ever Give One Away?

Help Support CattleToday:

Vicky the vet":oerbyxs4 said:
The second story is about my cow Zuri. Now Zuri is a Simmental cow weighing in at about 1700 lbs. She'd had twins (heifers) unassissted two years in a row, both in January and the second time, her body condition wasn't great. It was about 10 below and she was having a really hard time, couldn't milk enough for the two calves, or in fact even one (and her calves the previous year weaned off over 800lbs each) so I decided to give her an amazing home, and donated her to the Ontario Veterinary College as a teaching animal. Now this is a gentle giant, which could be milked in the field if necessary, and students would never be hurt by her deliberately. She's still there about 5 years later, at 14 years of age.

Well Vicky I believe I was one of the benefactors of your gift of Zuri. I was on the AI course at Guelph and amongst the barn full of worn out holsteins there was a huge tan coloured Simmi with a white face. The class always fought over working on her because she was not "beat up" inside and we found it was much easier to get a successful transfer with her.

There were 2 draw backs with her, she often liked to "relax" (laying down) in the afternoons putting herself out of service, and once up to the shoulder in her you had to be tall to avoid hanging out of her with your feet off the ground! The beef guys in the class really appreciated working on an animal a little more like what we had at home.

On behalf of myself and the rest of my AI class, Thanks for your generosity!

A few years ago we donated a calf to a young lady for her to show at the county show. The North Texas Longhorn affiliate got together and donated some 20 something longhorn heifers to kids in Wise County. They had to fill out applications and write essays and a certain number recieved calves. The young lady who received our heifer really enjoyed showing her heifer. She ended going to a number of shows for a couple of years until she graduated high school. She actually ended up buying another heifer from us, and bull. THat one year of donating heifers to Wise County youth has had some pretty awesome results. There are still many youth from that first year that still show, and even breed their own animals.

Unlike most the posts above I did give one away but it wasn't as a good deed. My hats off to you guys, great thread about the Longhorn auction. My wife and I are "hobby ranchers" we have a small herd. We also have two other sources of income and the kids are on their own and doing well. I'm not bragging, sorry if it sounds like it, I just like being a "DINK" again (Dual Income No Kids). We donate to people or things that I know the money goes to the need. Such as a few years ago, in another part of the state, an couple where rescuing horses, they had about 75 on a 5 acre lot. The sherrif came in and took over they had to put about 15 down and most would never be good for anything again, but we bought 15 tons of hay and had it delivered to the address through the sherrifs department. One of our employees daughter is in the Marines, she was in Kuwiat, she said the sand was always blowing and people always had sand in their nose and mouth. So we purchased a case (1000) medical mask that go over the mouth and nose and shipped them too her to do as she wanted. Again not bragging, I truly believe what goes around comes around. I was touched by some of these post and I hope it spreads, There is nothing like country folk!.

Oh yea the one I gave away was a calf that was born the first year we had calves, I posted about it on this board. It was born and weighed 26lbs. It weaned out at 6 months just over 200lbs. I was too embarrassed to take it to the sale yard, so I asked some friends, with more pasture than cattle, if they wanted her. They didn't need her and they raised her to just over three when they put her in the freezer at about 700lbs. Come to think of it I need to go over and get a steak from them. :D

Alan

AngusLimoX":2avfobld said:
huge tan coloured Simmi with a white face

Yup, that was my Zuri girl. I'm 5'1" and had to stand on the rails on the sides of the chute to palp her, so I know exactly what you mean about the height...glad to know she's helped others...

I have not given a whole one away at one time but I never process one to eat without sharing the bounty :D If a person can not share the blessings they have with others it would make it a cold old world to live in!!!!!!! Over the last 35 years or so I have shared enough to be a pretty good load if they were still walking and can not think of one time that I regreted it 8)

ps
Thanks Bez for starting this topic.

V the V

Have I been missing you posting or have you just been extremely busy? Anyway, glad to see your name back on the boards.

LOL, I think we just gave quite a few away. Our bull got bored when all the cows where bred and went through the fence this week. Probably made a few babies, and we still haven't found him.

We planned on selling him soon but he is now where to be found right now

This morning when I answered this post I forgot to mention the two cows I have "given" that meant so much to the two kids that got them. I sponsor some children through Compassion and I give them family gifts. Two of the kids from Rwanda each bought a cow with their family gift. My little girl sent me a picture of her new cow. To me she's the most beautiful cow in the world. I sent her a picture of one of my cows, she couldn't believe how fat she was. :lol: I have an ulterior motive in mentioning this, I'm hoping if you haven't already checked out the Compassion website in my signature you will do so.Teach a child about Jesus, feed them, give medical care, education and buy them a cow it doesn't get better than that! ;-)

PS. I posted this and then realized that I should have said and "may" buy them a cow. I know you all probably know that not all children get a cow (some are in cities, some have other needs, etc.) but I thought I better come back on and clarify just in case there is one person that figures that the child automatically gets a cow. :oops:

Over the years we have given a couple bottle babies away just because we didn't have the time to spend with them. I have loaned heifers and steers to FFA and 4H folks. They take them raise them, show them and return them.

I have seen so many ad's wanting free calves for some kid for show. Most of these folks have plenty and just don't want to buy a calf for their kid. What do they think? We raise raise them for fun and to give away? If there were a needy kid who really wanted to raise/show one I would probably either give him/her one or loan them one for the experience. Then again I'm just an old softy. :lol:

Victoria":3u9l3j8z said:
This morning when I answered this post I forgot to mention the two cows I have "given" that meant so much to the two kids that got them. I sponsor some children through Compassion and I give them family gifts. Two of the kids from Rwanda each bought a cow with their family gift. My little girl sent me a picture of her new cow. To me she's the most beautiful cow in the world. I sent her a picture of one of my cows, she couldn't believe how fat she was. :lol: I have an ulterior motive in mentioning this, I'm hoping if you haven't already checked out the Compassion website in my signature you will do so.Teach a child about Jesus, feed them, give medical care, education and buy them a cow it doesn't get better than that
Victoria, you reminded me that a while back I gave a gift to buy livestock to a charitable organization in honor of the man who had been my high school agriculture teacher. He was one of those people who meant more to me growing up than words can say.
I had forgotten about it, but when he died a couple of years ago his son called and told me how much that had meant to his father.
I had (have) tears in my eyes that he was gone and a smile on my face that what I had done meant something to him. Just a small example as to how the ripples and his influence keep spreading.

I've given a few away to friends of my kids who went with them to feed and helped out on the farm from time to time. They were pretty much like my kids anyway they were around so much. They could use the extra money.

Ryder":1k5mliun said:
Victoria":1k5mliun said:
This morning when I answered this post I forgot to mention the two cows I have "given" that meant so much to the two kids that got them. I sponsor some children through Compassion and I give them family gifts. Two of the kids from Rwanda each bought a cow with their family gift. My little girl sent me a picture of her new cow. To me she's the most beautiful cow in the world. I sent her a picture of one of my cows, she couldn't believe how fat she was. :lol: I have an ulterior motive in mentioning this, I'm hoping if you haven't already checked out the Compassion website in my signature you will do so.Teach a child about Jesus, feed them, give medical care, education and buy them a cow it doesn't get better than that
Victoria, you reminded me that a while back I gave a gift to buy livestock to a charitable organization in honor of the man who had been my high school agriculture teacher. He was one of those people who meant more to me growing up than words can say.
I had forgotten about it, but when he died a couple of years ago his son called and told me how much that had meant to his father.
I had (have) tears in my eyes that he was gone and a smile on my face that what I had done meant something to him. Just a small example as to how the ripples and his influence keep spreading.

Your post brought tears to my eyes too Ryder. It's no wonder that meant a lot to your ag teacher. It sure would mean a lot to me. Thanks for sharing that Ryder. One good person can have such a ripple effect in the world. I think it will be exciting going to Heaven and meeting people that helped me without knowing and hopefully who I've helped without realizing.

Latest posts