All cows should be this colour! (dial up beware!)

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Only joking! But we dont see too many pics of grey cattle on these boards, and as I did an evaluation of calves yesterday and snapped some pics, I thought I might post some.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions of them.

One of the young bulls, about 20 ish months
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_048.JPG

Another young bull, 15 months
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_045.JPG

6 month old calves
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_002.JPG

Springing heifer, around 20 months
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_017.JPG

Heifer 15 months
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_020.JPG

Heifer 13 months
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_026.JPG

Heifer, 10 months
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_029.JPG

2nd calf cow, with a week old calf at foot
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_033.JPG

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_034.JPG

Heifer 12 months
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_036.JPG

Springing heifer, 18-ish months
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_038.JPG

Second calf cow, springing
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_043.JPG

Baby calf just for alice!
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_003.JPG

Cows in a line hoping for some feed
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_006.JPG

7 year old herdsire, doing it a bit tough
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_010.JPG

The old fella - 13 year old herdsire, still working
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_014.JPG

Another calf for Alice - check out his hairdo - this must be the new fashion!
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_031.JPG

Keren,

You have an impressive herd. They look like they'd improve a whole lot of cowherds here in the States.

Looks like the grass is really green. Have you had good rains recently? I hear that much of the wheat crop in your country is being hurt by drought.

I like the first bull. I don't care how short he is as long as he can reach the cow. We have a bull here that is a 4 frame score but at yearling age weighed as much as our 6 frame bull. He looks thick and packs the muscle.

I like the springing 20 month heifer, 13 month heifer, 12 month old chocolate heifer, baby calf for Alice and the cow with the chocolate and vanilla malt fountains.

I love the length on that 7 year old herdsire. He has used up his fat reserves, but still shows a good shoulder and appears to have good muscles in the rear. I would like to see a picture of him before he started dating so many women at one time.

The 13 year old herdsire looks really long too. I like his shoulder depth, but the way he is standing, I can't see his backside. But what I can see, I like him.
I like your herd!
Chuckie

I sure like the body shape on the "20ish month old bull" - and
the 7 yr old and 13 yr old bulls look good also....excellent
length of body and plump hindquarter/strong shoulders.

Of the females, that chocolate 20 mo old spring heifer looks to
have an excellent flank girth. I also like the 10 month old
heifer and the chocolate 12 mo old heifer----thanks for
the photos!!!

Rustler, yes they are all pure registered murray greys.

Talk show mod - that is the idea - there are quite a few breeders here that are breeding a taller, rangier grey which looks just like a modern angus or shorthorn but grey. However, we feel a modern framed cow is quite simply more efficient and long legs, pencil guts and heaps of 'air' under the animals just dont have a place in our operation. They are stud, seedstock and show animals, yes but they are first and foremost commercial animals. And the original murray greys - or mulberrys as mrs sutherland called them - were even lower to the ground than this they averaged around about a frame score 4 - 5.5.

I'm not sure if your frame scores differ from ours or not, but our herd averages between f.s 5 and 7, with most of them around about 6.5 - 6.8. The 20 month bull is a frame score 6.6 and the young chocolate bull is one of our biggest about 6.9. The 7 year old bull is I think around about 6.6 and the 13 year old a bit smaller. We do have one frame 7 bull (rising 2 yr old) who is being put over the smaller framed cows.

Over the years we have unwittingly collected a few females over 7, mainly by buying in seedstock from the big breeders. This last year everything over frame 7 has been shipped.

UG - thank you for the compliment, but the same could be said about some of the cattle I've seen posted from the US! The grass looks good and long but there is no density to it - these pastures are not holding up and we are still feeding out silage. The drought continues - the rain has been really patchy, with a couple of areas having the best season in ten years, others having devastating floods, and then others are still buying in water. We have had enough that we are not buying water anymore, but we have not put in any winter grazing/harvesting wheat crops as we usually would. We have taken a gamble on putting in a paddock of grazing oats, but that is all.

Chuckie, I'm sure I have pictures of both bulls around 2 years old, as they were both shown with very good results. We did not breed either of them, the 13 year old was shown before we bought him at 4 years old, and he has been the primary herdsire since then. He throws really easy doing cattle. Both the young bulls are by him, and the springing 20mth heifer, the chocolate 2nd calf cow, silver cow, and the chocolate 12 mth heifer. The 7 year old bull we bought as a 3 yr old, he'd been shown extensively before us and we brought him out as a rising 5 year old for the centenery anniversary of murray greys a couple of years ago. He doesn't seem to throw quite the butts of the other bull, but he has really thickened up the calves throughout the barrel, and added a lot of length and stoutness. The six month old calves, the 15, 13 and 10 month heifers, the springing 18 mth heifer, and that baby calf.

I will try and find those photos for you.

Wow that was a long post. Hope I answered everybody. Thanks for the comments. Bring more on (good/bad or ugly!)

Keren

I am a crusty S.O.B. who is pretty picky. I can find fault with the best of animals.

Colour be danged - anyone who would not want a herd like this in their field does not know cows.

I do not know how long your family has been in the business, but you have a very fine group of animals.

You tell your family I said so,

Bez>

Keren,

All I can say is :D :D :D :D :D

That "do"...gotta love that "do"!!!!! :heart:

Alice