Reaction score
Some beautiful scenery from gcreekrch:

2rx7ltx.jpg

9i6bya.jpg

2vtdu8l.jpg

Hard not to like that!

Enjoy the rest of the week.

Be safe.

Beautiful British Columbia you mean Ron!

First photo is Sugarloaf Mountain. Mentioned in Rich Hobson's first book.

Second is a Ptarmigan in a Psnowstorm.

Third is the bull pen. The older bulls don't need anything other than hay but then I would need to manage a second group so they are all getting 8 lbs of screening pellets. Later when they are penned closer we will sort of the coming 2's.

You call that a snowstorm? You can still see the trees way back in the background!

ez14.":1sfobetr said:
You call that a snowstorm? You can still see the trees way back in the background!

It is enough for me. We had a squall 3 days ago that would have made those trees disappear. 2 feet of heavy (for us) accumulated snow is plenty. We have enough stockpiled irrigation to flood our meadows now. The rest will be bonus.

gcreekrch":1d8uq3wj said:
ez14.":1d8uq3wj said:

It is enough for me. We had a squall 3 days ago that would have made those trees disappear. 2 feet of heavy (for us) accumulated snow is plenty. We have enough stockpiled irrigation to flood our meadows now. The rest will be bonus.
How has your winter been? For us it's been pretty mild but I'm getting sick of this whole freeze thaw cycle we have going on! :bang: As much as I hate the cold I would like it better if it would just stay cold!

ez14.":x2z6wlxu said:
gcreekrch":x2z6wlxu said:
ez14.":x2z6wlxu said:

How has your winter been? For us it's been pretty mild but I'm getting sick of this whole freeze thaw cycle we have going on! :bang: As much as I hate the cold I would like it better if it would just stay cold!

It has been relatively mild here. We are supposedly the highest elevation ranch in BC. A lot of inversions this year have made us warmer than 1000 feet lower elevation.

gcreekrch":247z0hkg said:
ez14.":247z0hkg said:
gcreekrch":247z0hkg said:

It has been relatively mild here. We are supposedly the highest elevation ranch in BC. A lot of inversions this year have made us warmer than 1000 feet lower elevation.

How high are you Creek? In that first photo it looks to me like there is some bare ground in the distance, is that the case????
What timber are those logs? Do they last?

Ken

wbvs58":gvs9sd6g said:
gcreekrch":gvs9sd6g said:
ez14.":gvs9sd6g said:

How high are you Creek? In that first photo it looks to me like there is some bare ground in the distance, is that the case????
What timber are those logs? Do they last?

Ken

4100 to 4650 ft elevation. There is no bare ground here at present unless it has been plowed off.

There are nearly 200 cattle feeding on hay on the near side of the first trees if that is what you are looking at.

Our timber is mainly lodgepole pine (jackpine) or spruce, very little aspen around.

It must be the cattle I was looking at.

I take it that pine must be rot and termite resistant. Most of our pine won't last too long out in the weather.

Ken

wbvs58":3f5l4hrg said:
I take it that pine must be rot and termite resistant. Most of our pine won't last too long out in the weather.

Ken
:lol: to cold for them buggers......

wbvs58":1tr6zyq0 said:
It must be the cattle I was looking at.

Ken

Termite and the climate don't mix here.

The Pine Beetle killed a lot of trees in the late 80's and early 90's. Many of those trees are still standing and ongoing logging efforts to salvage the wood are still being carried out. This area is relatively dry and relatively cold. Many pine trees here with a 30 cm. base are 3 to 400 years old. The logged areas from 30 years ago are growing trees faster as they are not as thick coming in as when a fire has gone through. I won't be here to see the next logging regardless. Maybe the tree huggers will have it all stopped by then and people will be wearing leaves, eating berries and being eaten themselves by the grizzly bears they so want to protect. haha

We've cut some Fir trees for rails.. a 4-5" base is often 100 years old.. that's some hard darned wood once it's seasoned! Ain't no nail strong enough to be driven into it

You get more snow today? We got about 3" or so

Latest posts