Alberta cattlemen to sue U.S.

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer ...............You are wrong...the U.S imports boxed beef everyday from Canada.

This is about live cattle.Not beef. :)

Did you read Debruckers comments in the Western Producer, about how r- calf has been working to open the border.

have a great day.

But the Canadians don't have to not test unless you have the same problem with your government bureaucrats as we do in the U.S. of A

I've said this before. We don't vote Liberal and that's the party that forms the government so they really don't care whether we sink or swim. The reason Canadians are going after the US specifically to open the border is because we have a free trade agreement with you, Mexico as well, but Mexico has made it clear they will not open the border until the US does. If this is about politics and protectionism, instead of science, then the US is legally required to open the border under NAFTA. That is the basis for the whole suit. Getting lawyers involved really goes against my grain, but I guess alot of guys out there are just getting desperate.

frenchie":2g3n5p0e said:
Oldtimer ...............You are wrong...the U.S imports boxed beef everyday from Canada.

This is about live cattle.Not beef. :)

Did you read Debruckers comments in the Western Producer, about how r- calf has been working to open the border.

have a great day.

frenchie- If you guys had a cause to keep the border closed to live cattle because of Anaplas and Blue tongue- we definitely do to keep possible BSE infected cattle from being integrated into the US herd. I haven't heard anyone from R-CALF lately arguing that the border could not be opened to live cattle- just that there has to be restrictions on what comes across. (No over 30 month- all cattle marked with permanent marking so they can be segregated).

Never saw Debruckers article- so I can't comment.

I kind of think this suit has been anticipated by many- thats the reason they have been building up large legal funds to fight it- Will probably open up the can of worms about Canada's huge herd expansion since NAFTA passage.

Oldtimer

My understanding about Blue Tonque and Anaplas is that they could enter Canada ,if they passed the test.

The border is not currently closed to them now.

You should read Debruckers comments,tell me what you think.

Nobody here is pushing for cattle over 30 months to be allowed across the border. :)

frenchie":yxzm20w0 said:
Oldtimer

My understanding about Blue Tonque and Anaplas is that they could enter Canada ,if they passed the test.

The border is not currently closed to them now.

You should read Debruckers comments,tell me what you think.

Nobody here is pushing for cattle over 30 months to be allowed across the border. :)

frenchie- I will try to find the article about Debrucker- but I'm not a subscriber to Western Producer, so don't get the magazine or access to their web articles.

Anonymous":1naq6sa4 said:
Oldtimer, You make me sick!!!

Anonymous Guest, you seem to be part of the problem when you should try to be part of the solution. If that statement represents your best negotiating skills, you don't stand a chance! Hopefully for you Canadians, your trade reps will have a better line than that.

Oldtimer probably represents one of the best chance for dialogue that you guys have. I don't agree with some of his views, but when he says something I try to listen.

P. 1: Canadian action could delay open border: U.S. rancher By Mary MacArthur Camrose bureau Canadian producers who stop cattle owned by members of the U.S.-based R-CALF group from being slaughtered in Canada are hurting their own cause of trying to get the U.S. border opened, says a Montana member of the U.S. protectionist group."All they're going to do is stall the time for opening the border. We've been working hard down here to try to get an organized opening of it, through R-CALF, the organization you guys all think is against you," said Lloyd DeBruycker of Dutton, Mont."We've been trying to get it open. The more they fight it, the worse it's going to get."He said R-CALF should not be blamed for keeping the border closed. American agriculture secretary Ann Veneman, who ignored the rules for importing Canadian meat, forced R-CALF to get a judge to grant a temporary restraining order to prevent an easing of restrictions on Canadian beef from entering the U.S., DeBruycker said. He added that convincing Cargill and Lakeside packing plants in Alberta not to slaughter cattle owned by members of R-CALF will backfire by keeping Americans from buying Canadian cattle this fall. Without American money, few people will see high calf prices as they did last fall, he said. It is estimated 40,000-80,000 head of American cattle are on feed in Canadian feedlots."What they (large Canadian feedlots) are against is Americans buying feeder cattle again this fall because if they can get the American dollar out of the feeder market, both packers and the larger feedlots are going to be able to buy their feeders for practically nothing. That's what they're after," said DeBruycker. Southern Alberta feedlot operator Rick Paskal, who spearheaded the blockade of R-CALF cattle, said DeBruycker is not working to reopen the border. Paskal pointed to a letter from R-CALF president Leo McDonnell soliciting money from its members to continue challenging any relaxation of rules that keep Canadian beef and cattle out of the U.S. It's clear R-CALF will continue to challenge any USDA rulings to reopen the border, said Paskal. DeBruycker said his organization would like to see an orderly reopening of the border that wouldn't lower prices for American cattle with an influx of Canadian animals. He discussed the idea with Paskal and a group of other Canadian producers this summer, but relations soured. Paskal said his patience with industry and government over the border reopening has worn out."What are we supposed to do? Sit down here and take it? I think we've done that long enough."Dennis Laycraft, executive vice-president of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association, said while DeBruycker can talk about plans for an orderly border reopening, the final decision rests with USDA officials.

Thanks LA4, I couldn't get into Producer.com tonight for some reason.

From the Western Producer

P. 1: Canadian action could delay open border: U.S. rancher By Mary MacArthur Camrose bureau Canadian producers who stop cattle owned by members of the U.S.-based R-CALF group from being slaughtered in Canada are hurting their own cause of trying to get the U.S. border opened, says a Montana member of the U.S. protectionist group."All they're going to do is stall the time for opening the border. We've been working hard down here to try to get an organized opening of it, through R-CALF, the organization you guys all think is against you," said Lloyd DeBruycker of Dutton, Mont."We've been trying to get it open. The more they fight it, the worse it's going to get."He said R-CALF should not be blamed for keeping the border closed. American agriculture secretary Ann Veneman, who ignored the rules for importing Canadian meat, forced R-CALF to get a judge to grant a temporary restraining order to prevent an easing of restrictions on Canadian beef from entering the U.S., DeBruycker said. He added that convincing Cargill and Lakeside packing plants in Alberta not to slaughter cattle owned by members of R-CALF will backfire by keeping Americans from buying Canadian cattle this fall. Without American money, few people will see high calf prices as they did last fall, he said. It is estimated 40,000-80,000 head of American cattle are on feed in Canadian feedlots."What they (large Canadian feedlots) are against is Americans buying feeder cattle again this fall because if they can get the American dollar out of the feeder market, both packers and the larger feedlots are going to be able to buy their feeders for practically nothing. That's what they're after," said DeBruycker. Southern Alberta feedlot operator Rick Paskal, who spearheaded the blockade of R-CALF cattle, said DeBruycker is not working to reopen the border. Paskal pointed to a letter from R-CALF president Leo McDonnell soliciting money from its members to continue challenging any relaxation of rules that keep Canadian beef and cattle out of the U.S. It's clear R-CALF will continue to challenge any USDA rulings to reopen the border, said Paskal. DeBruycker said his organization would like to see an orderly reopening of the border that wouldn't lower prices for American cattle with an influx of Canadian animals. He discussed the idea with Paskal and a group of other Canadian producers this summer, but relations soured. Paskal said his patience with industry and government over the border reopening has worn out."What are we supposed to do? Sit down here and take it? I think we've done that long enough."Dennis Laycraft, executive vice-president of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association, said while DeBruycker can talk about plans for an orderly border reopening, the final decision rests with USDA officials.

And heres what Bill Bullard had to say on the same topic.

"This nation should accept nothing but zero risk in trade partners. We have never traded with a country with moderate risk of disease and our industry is too valuable to start now. R-CALF USA has repeatedly asked USDA to close U.S. borders to all imports of cattle, beef and feed products until the investigation is over. We have repeatedly stated that the U.S. should not abandon scientifically validated BSE prevention measures by reopening our borders. We have repeatedly asked that all Canadian beef be labeled and that all imported animals are permanently marked. R-CALF USA has submitted comments to APHIS asking that the border be closed to that nation's beef and beef products until Canada can demonstrate it has eradicated BSE. We don't know, and APHIS doesn't know, what the prevalence of BSE is in Canada. It is irresponsible to reopen the Canadian border until these facts are known."

And you wonder why R-CALF doesn't have any credibility up here.

CRR

la4angus and cattle rack thanks. People wonder why the Canadians are cranky.Talk about r-calf double talk :)

Sorry guys but I can't see the double talk still. Didn't you yall say you wouldn't mind the permenant id or thirty mo. or younger?

ollie said:
Sorry guys but I can't see the double talk still. Didn't you yall say you wouldn't mind the permenant id or thirty mo. or younger

Ollie I,m not talking about Bullards comments....but Debruckers and McDonnells.....Now tell me what r- calf has done to reopen the border ..........SQuat thats what.Yet here is Debrucker saying they are trying to reopen the border.

Meanwhile Leos running around looking for funds to help keep the border closed is that not double talk

Futhermore why does that ban affect sheep,Bison ,Goats or for that matter cattle under 30 months.

Politics is why.

I don,t mind permenant Id on anything.I,m not ashamed of anything that leaves my yard or country.

have a great day :)

I say test em all, for everything and label country of origin. As for Nafta, the hell with it, as it has done is cost jobs to Mexico. During the next down cattle cycle the Mexicans will dump their beef here in Texas as they did during the mid 90's......Let the American public decide who has safe beef..... Of course that will never happen, because the big packers love to sell beef stamped USDA.... To futher prove my point, we all know if a feeder calf finishes at a weight outside of the box it will take a hit on price. The steaks off that animal will bring a premium because of the size, but you as a producer will be discounted.....
Rodney
I now abdicate my soap box

As every day passes it is looking more like R-Calf is no more than a protectionist group that thinks they can rule the USDA. Pardon my french but I think that they are a group of Jackasses. If they want to block our live cattle then so be it, but they better never ever set foot in Canada again to purchase our cattle and profit off of our BSE problem. This is to all you R-calf members and supporters. We as Canadian ranchers have had enough and will not stand for you giving it to us up the rear end anymore. If it hadnt been for R-Calf there would have been more cuts of our beef going south. The price of our fat cattle would have been higher.
Can you tell I ve had about as much as I can take.

As for you Old Timer, Ive seen what you have written and you fit in well with this protectionist group. You should keep to raisin' horses not cattle. :idea:

One thing you can always think about is the way you have ruined the western way of life in Canada. Canadian rachers would be better off on welfare then what we are getting for cattle now.

Anonymous":v1bt0qgw said:

Guest- If you are Canadian you are safe and you will live- cheap available drugs will cure you.

If you are in the US, worthless, never have worked and don't want to, but have gotten on the welfare system you will live- government paid for drugs will cure you.

But if you are a US working person without enough insurance or a retiree without enough pension or insurance you might not make it- they won't let you buy the cheap Canadian drugs that could save you.

Old timer you still make me sick and Cheap canadian drugs won't cure the problem we have. I think Canada should cut off the supply of cheap drugs to the R-calf supporter states, then maybe we wont have a problem.

Anonymous wrote:

Guest- If you are Canadian you are safe and you will live- cheap available drugs will cure you.

If you are in the US, worthless, never have worked and don't want to, but have gotten on the welfare system you will live- government paid for drugs will cure you.

But if you are a US working person without enough insurance or a retiree without enough pension or insurance you might not make it- they won't let you buy the cheap Canadian drugs that could save you.

As for you Old Timer, Ive seen what you have written and you fit in well with this protectionist group. You should keep to raisin' horses not cattle. Idea[/quote]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- "Don't let the littleness in others bring out the littleness in
you."

May be you all need to step back and re-read some of these comments you are making. You are saying some pretty mean things about some pretty good people.

Anonymous":18amgerh said:
Old timer you still make me sick and Cheap canadian drugs won't cure the problem we have. I think Canada should cut off the supply of cheap drugs to the R-calf supporter states, then maybe we wont have a problem.
Annomyous Guest
Would you mind registering before you start running down one of the most respected registered participants on this board.
You make me sick also. You don't have the guts to state who you are and you will probaly crawl in a hole when help is need.

la4angus":1p5tdm9y said:
Anonymous":1p5tdm9y said:
Annomyous Guest
Would you mind registering before you start running down one of the most respected registered participants on this board.
You make me sick also. You don't have the guts to state who you are and you will probaly crawl in a hole when help is need.

Thank you la4angus

But you have to remember that I spent 30 years of being called every name in the book, anonymous phone calls, threats, swung at, shot at, by every druggie, cow thief, and puke in the area. Got my adrenaline going--Used to think if I went a week or two without somebody threatening to sue me or shoot me I must not be doing my job. Must have done something right for the type of good people that live here-- got elected Sheriff and now appointed as Judge.

Latest posts