AKAUSHI

Help Support CattleToday:

When they telling me everything that's bad, then maybe I'll invest.
I take care of an Akaushii bull and he's an a-hole. Broke my bosses dads knee a year ago and rammed the gate when I was trying to open it to feed today. My boss hit him on the nose with a hot shot we we were loading him one day and ut just made him mad. They bought him as a 2 year old…wasn't hand raised. Not sure if that would have made a difference. He tries to "bite the hand that feeds him". Sure throws small good looking calves though. Covers all his cows and does his job in that regard.

I am seeing a lot of Akaushi crossed with Aberdeen Angus cattle lately. Seems to be a pretty good match that sells well. The few I saw in person were on the wild side. Interesting to ready others experience with them.

What I've read about them sounded good, but that was coming from breeders so of course they made them sound good.

With that said, there is a big charolais breeder about 30-40 minutes away from me that runs their cattle out in the desert. A few years ago they got started with the akaushi. There is a highway that goes through one of their pastures and I saw a handful of the akaushi pairs. They were in good condition and the calves looked pretty nice. If they can do well out in that range, then I would think they'd be alright. I'm not sure if they're selling any bulls at their charolais sale or not. I might have to dig a little deeper this spring. I'll see if I can dig up any pictures. I don't remember if I have any or not
Akaushi are
I take care of an Akaushii bull and he's an a-hole. Broke my bosses dads knee a year ago and rammed the gate when I was trying to open it to feed today. My boss hit him on the nose with a hot shot we we were loading him one day and ut just made him mad. They bought him as a 2 year old…wasn't hand raised. Not sure if that would have made a difference. He tries to "bite the hand that feeds him". Sure throws small good looking calves though. Covers all his cows and does his job in that regard.
Akaushi cattle have docility issues. It's well known. I went to Idaho to look at some. I came back with an empty trailer.

What I've read about them sounded good, but that was coming from breeders so of course they made them sound good.

With that said, there is a big charolais breeder about 30-40 minutes away from me that runs their cattle out in the desert. A few years ago they got started with the akaushi. There is a highway that goes through one of their pastures and I saw a handful of the akaushi pairs. They were in good condition and the calves looked pretty nice. If they can do well out in that range, then I would think they'd be alright. I'm not sure if they're selling any bulls at their charolais sale or not. I might have to dig a little deeper this spring. I'll see if I can dig up any pictures. I don't remember if I have any or not
Interesting observation. I have slots in a local bull test. This year Akaushi bulls were allowed in the test. So far the last report showed the one of the Akaushi was holding his own. The report was a 60 day report.

Attachments

• IMG_4344.jpeg
    IMG_4344.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 15
That's why I don't buy in to the black cow game. When ever the tide turns its going to be hard to undo that color.
Black aberdeens were all we used to see when we started looking at them years ago. Now the red gene is in high demand. Most of the ones we bought carry the red gene.
Akaushi Akaushi cattle have docility issues. It's well known. I went to Idaho to look at some. I came back with an empty trailer.
This was what I found when I saw some. Wasn't impressed at all with their temperament. We didn't pick any up for that reason.

Start going after your bull when you get to the pen and make him leave you. If you let him come at your first, he is in control. It works for overly aggressive cows. Show him you are in the lead by walking directly to him and smash him. Don't kill him but when you head toward him first, it throws them to why the tables are turning. Don't lose a really good bull doing a good job for you. I have found that they can be turned around except for that one cow that would just swing her back leg out as he walked past me. Never did a head butt. I could pet the front end of her, but she just had trouble with that back leg for some reason and so did I. She stayed. I learned.

Certain breeds of cattle and their organizations try to get a "High high price" for the meat and they ban together to keep it in the exotic lines. Not good. I think how I will handle that problem is to offer my beef at Angus prices and I may have to give meat to friends to try. Got to start somewhere to show them that the meat is easy to chew even if you are 100 years old. The whole family needs to be able to eat good beef, and it has to be affordable. I will not pay double prices for meat even if it is the kind of cattle that I raise.

If you have trouble marketing it, give meat to people that entertain or have friends over and if you know the meat is great, so will they. Just keep your prices where they can afford to feed everyone. Beef, it is what's for supper. Not a couple times a month. That double priced meat is for the birds. I will eat chicken before I pay $40 a pound for any beef. Just the thought of me shelling that kind of my pocket makes me feel less smart.

Start going after your bull when you get to the pen and make him leave you. If you let him come at your first, he is in control. It works for overly aggressive cows. Show him you are in the lead by walking directly to him and smash him. Don't kill him but when you head toward him first, it throws them to why the tables are turning. Don't lose a really good bull doing a good job for you. I have found that they can be turned around except for that one cow that would just swing her back leg out as he walked past me. Never did a head butt. I could pet the front end of her, but she just had trouble with that back leg for some reason and so did I. She stayed. I learned.
He walked up to me when I was on the back of the truck feeding alfalfa yesterday, and I had a sorting stick with me with the flag on the end, and I popped it at him and poked him in the end of the nose with it, and he stepped back like I had shot him and walked away from me, and he's never done that before so I'm going to have to give you two thumbs up on the advice of approaching him first

I think often they are scared too and don't know what else to do. I always think of an aggressive cow, as being a protector of the herd and she will more likely go for anything strange coming into the pasture. I want her to train the others to run all dogs out and any buzzard that lights. I watch the cows and calves both chasing them as they light. Seems like fun to them as they run and buck around. I am so glad that you blew his mind. That is WONDERFUL!!!!!

I was at the grocery store looking at the steaks one day thinking, I want a steak. Going to the butcher shop and purchasing 3 ribeyes cost me $91.07, but I also purchased 1/2 pound of bacon. It was $5 and some change. So, the butcher was out there arranging the meat, and I asked him where his best steaks were? He told me that those good looking prime steaks are not near as tender as the choice. He said when I eat steaks here, "I always buy the choice. " He told me to try it and see for myself. I found the thickest choice steak and took it home and lightly sautéed it in some butter and steak seasoning, and it was very rare, and sat down to eat it. It was Great! Very tender and no hard spots or gristle. Between my two dogs and myself, it was some really good eating.

I have had good mannered bulls and down right mean ones in different breeds over the the years, the two with the worst attitudes were horned Hereford

Latest posts