AKAUSHI

Help Support CattleToday:

I've only seen one in person. I was having semen collected from one of my bulls and they turned out an animal that I'd never seen before. Didn't think much about him because I didn't like him. Guy asked me if I knew what he was and I told him my best guess was some kind of a Jersey cross. He acted offended and proceeded to tell me all about the breed. Still didn't change my opinion.

slick4591":cnkejgkl said:
I've only seen one in person. I was having semen collected from one of my bulls and they turned out an animal that I'd never seen before. Didn't think much about him because I didn't like him. Guy asked me if I knew what he was and I told him my best guess was some kind of a Jersey cross. He acted offended and proceeded to tell me all about the breed. Still didn't change my opinion.
I wasn't impressed by the pictures I saw, it looks like they are akin to Waygu. I had just never heard of them before.

ALACOWMAN":36qtdman said:
Looks like the beef has good marbling...
If I remember correctly Akaushi is the least marbling breed out of the Wagyu groups. But most Akaushi are pretty good looking cattle and they have butts unlike their black cousin wagyu.

I tried 10 units last fall. Calves hit the ground in September. I got 9 of 10 to take. (breeding on natural heats) Mixed results on whether or not the bull I chose is truly calving ease. I did not have to assist any of the cows during the birthing process, so in that regard, yes, they are. That being said, I did have one calf that was extremely late that was well in excess of 100#. Cow was a brute too, so not sure it was all the bulls fault. So far, other than a slightly different tone of black in color, there is no difference in the Akaushi calves when compared to the Angus AI calves. Bone is good, depth is good, look is good. Most are approaching their 2 month birthday in a week so it's still early in the game. We direct market and so from what I have read in doing my research, they were the best fit for high marbling without sacrificing too much. The F1's should finish MUCH closer to traditional beef as opposed to the blacks that will take 24+ months to finish. Anything beyond 2 months of age is still an unknown, but FWIW, I've ordered more for this Fall. I like em so far!

High marbling? Where did you get that from? I meant when you compare Akaushi beef to Wagyu beef, you can identify which one is a wagyu or an Akaushi...

I was told that Akaushi and red wagyu isn't the same animals.

High marbling can cover a lot of territory...just because they don't marble as well as a Wagyu....doesn't mean they don't marble well....and are, high marbling compared to the most...

ALACOWMAN":a6vmyy6v said:
High marbling can cover a lot of territory...just because they don't marble as well as a Wagyu....doesn't mean they don't marble well....and are, high marbling compared to the most...
True. From what I seen, Akaushi beef looks like just a good marbled Angus beef...

I will try to put some pictures on here of the F1's if my memory allows. It'll be a while before I will have any meat to show off, but if I can find this post (and remember to do it 16 mos from now) I will try to post some of the meat as well if anyone is interested?

VaCowman":m31psmlg said:
I will try to put some pictures on here of the F1's if my memory allows. It'll be a while before I will have any meat to show off, but if I can find this post (and remember to do it 16 mos from now) I will try to post some of the meat as well if anyone is interested?

i am interested

reckon what a akaushi bull goes for? I see on Heartbrand's website they sell one ribeye steak for $50 (14 oz)

Depends on who you ask willow bottom. I think HB's private treaty bulls go for ~$6-8,000. I've seen some advertised on some boards/online marketing sites, etc. and they seem to be in the $4000 range (from producers without farm name recognition). I'm sure you could find some folks with bulls cheaper, and I'm POSITIVE you can find some much higher. (just check out some of the major Akaushi sale reports)

American Wagyu Association considers them Red Wagyu
Heartbrand wants them to be considered as exclusive and to build their own brand name by calling them Akaushi
which I'm told means Brown in Japanese.... or Brown Wagyu.... traditionally Japan's lowest marbling Wagyu
with much larger rib eyes than their blacks.

https://postimg.cc/xc93vQLS

Not sure if the link works or not, someone let me know. Hopefully (if link works) you can see a picture of a set of F1 twin bulls from an angus cow. If link works, I can share a few others.

https://postimg.cc/ppkYkSB5
Heifer calf out of a CharX cow

https://postimg.cc/1fKM2Xyt
Bull calf with momma

https://postimg.cc/QBhG1xTT
Heifer calf with momma. First red calf, but was expected out of a red cow. Probably going to end up keeping her as a replacement just to see what the F1's pan out to be as cows. From the looks of her momma, she should be decent milking cow, even if she's half of what her momma is...could be a disaster too. Probably worth more as a steak than a cow, but what are "experiments" for?

All the pics are of the calves ~24 hours old.

As I understand it, the Akaushi had infusions of Devon and Simmental genetics in their past... and probably have better growth and muscling than some of the other Wagyu-type cattle, but still marble far better than most British or Continental breeds.
The lower melting point of the fat, evidently conferred by the 'A' gene - they may be homozygous (AA) or heterozygous (VA) - is part of the desirability of the Akaushi/Wagyu cattle, beyond just the high marbling trait. If I were crossbreeding with A or W, I would seek out sires that were AA genotype, in addition to scoring well for marbling and tepictures. Most semen distributors are supplying genomic test results for A/V status, as well as marbling/tenderness.
The photos I've seen of Akaushi bulls depict them to be 'beefier' animals than the typical black Wagyu bulls I've seen pictured.

Latest posts