For home meat production only-Akaushi?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
I have a super small herd, so AI is all we use. Cows are Brangus with pretty easy fleshing in the time we've had them. Curious if Akaushi would be a reasonable terminal cross, or do they mature so much slower or have high grain input needed for reaching their tenderness and marbling potential. We are primarily grass-based, only feed when the grass goes away.

IDK for sure, but if I were gonna be breeding one for home consumption, I'd sure give Akaushi or Wagyu a shot - but I'd want a bull that was homozygous (AA) for the SCD gene, and had a history of better-than-average growth in his progeny. If high progeny tenderness scores were also know, so much the better.
The purebred Wagyu are notorious for slow growth... halfbloods perhaps not so bad?
Certainly to get those incredibly marbled steaks you see photos of, I suspect you'd have to feed quite a bit grain - doubt that they'll do that just on grass.

Not as much shooting for the marbling as the reported tenderness-wonder how that transfers into percentages?

It's what I'm doing except I'm using black Wagyu. This is my first calf crop crossed with my belties and I'm shooting for a 24 month butcher date. If you get on the Wagyu Facebook page there are some farms that are getting outstanding results butchering at 18 months on F1 crosses. I am creep feeding my calves but my buddy is 100% grass finishing his crosses. It will be interesting to see how his compare to mine.

My calves out of this bull are pushing four months old, and I feel they are bigger than my purebred belted calves were in the past. So hopefully I will get a great carcass at 24 months.

NonTypicalCPA said:
My calves out of this bull are pushing four months old, and I feel they are bigger than my purebred belted calves were in the past. So hopefully I will get a great carcass at 24 months.

Do you have pics of your calves? They're still dam-raised at this point, but curious how their growth rate is

Hpacres440p said:
NonTypicalCPA said:

Do you have pics of your calves? They're still dam-raised at this point, but curious how their growth rate is
I will get some tomorrow that are current.

I have 10 head of AngusXAkaushi crossed calves that I "experimented" with, for the same reason you are considering it. We sell direct, so I figured I'd try it to see how they pan out. So far, they are holding their own. Undoubtedly, the Akaushi will finish quicker than the Wagyu, and I think the F1 will probably finish much closer to what you are used to, plus a month or so. I have not finished any just yet, but they are on feed right now and I hope that the heifers will be coming off late March/early April, and then the steers in April/May, but those are just guestimates since this is my first time trying them. So far, the F1 AnXAk cross calves weighed just as well as the straight angus calves, and some were as heavy as my simangus calves. Phenotypically, I think this cross sacrifices VERY little. My cows that throw thick calves, still threw thick Akaushi crossed calves. No they weren't quite as thick, but they were a far cry from the Wagyu phenotype. They are a little tube gutted at first, but they get some spread to them as they get older. I kept 2 heifers back just to see what the F1 momma might do (or not do). At pelvic measuring and repro tract scoring, the Akaushi crossed heifers had larger measurements and both scored 5 on rts. I know, its a SMALL sample size, but one of the two was out of the biggest cows I have, and the other was out of the smallest. Both took to the AI in Nov, so in a year or so, I may be able to shed a small light on how they are at mothering. I'll admit, I'm a little nervous about the milk in the heifers,but time will tell. Both of the cows of the AkX heifers were extremely good milkers. Right now, I'm pleased, and would highly recommend giving them a try. Personally, I wouldn't want to continue to an F2, but I'm not saying i wouldn't try it some day. I just think they'll give up too much growth in the F2. Good luck!

Everyone talks about breeding a cross with a bull. What if you bought a pb Wagyu or Akaushi cow and crossed her with say a Simmental or Angus bull? At 18 month growth that would render a pretty steady supply of beef for one family? Thoughts?

Edit: VaCowman, did you ever try to contact that breeder who is near me?

sstterry said:
Everyone talks about breeding a cross with a bull. What if you bought a pb Wagyu or Akaushi cow and crossed her with say a Simmental or Angus bull? At 18 month growth that would render a pretty steady supply of beef for one family? Thoughts?

I can get a straw of Akaushi genetics for $25, if I don't like the cross, I still have a cow with a solid milk and beef production background, and still holds salvage value if sold to another commercial breeder or for slaughter. I haven't priced an Akaushi heifer or cow, and they require a stock trailer to ship if I don't live nearby 🤣

Hpacres440p said:
sstterry said:

I can get a straw of Akaushi genetics for $25, if I don't like the cross, I still have a cow with a solid milk and beef production background, and still holds salvage value if sold to another commercial breeder or for slaughter. I haven't priced an Akaushi heifer or cow, and they require a stock trailer to ship if I don't live nearby 🤣
I guess I am a little prejudiced because I have a breeder within 30 miles of me.

sstterry said:

I emailed them a few times just to see what their experience had been. I used HB for my genetics, but have found a couple other places that I may get some semen from if my "experiment" ends up turning out well. Should know by late Spring 2020. FWIW, the 2 F1 females stuck to the AI. I do not have real high expectations for their first calf, with what I've heard from milk, but the maternal side of the F1 were heavy milking cows so maybe they won't be dink calves. Either way, they'll be terminal, so as long as they wean a calf, I'll be happy.

A couple of newborn AnXAk calves. They are on feed now.

A couple 9 month old AnXAK calves. Two are the ones in previous photos.

the newborns are twins, and the last two pics above are what they looked like at approx 9-10 mos old. (not sure exactly when pics were taken.) Pretty proud of that cow for doing such a good job with twins. She weaned nearly 1400# of calf last year and has a full brother to the twins on her right now.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
She did an awesome job. Around how old were they weaning at +or- 1400#? And, were they creep fed like the current calves?

They were around 9-10 mos I think. I can't remember exact date of when they were weaned, but it was about the time the picture was taken.

Latest posts