AKAUSHI

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
VA - that is a perfect size carcass.

I HOPE to be able to post a few pics of the ribeyes in a couple weeks. :banana: I hope they do not disappoint! So far, I like the cross.

A few pics of the F1's with their hide off. Not too shabby, and yes, they were melt in your mouth...I may be a little biased, but they were good! I believe they'll sell. ;)

This is from the white heifer with horns that had a live weight of 1280 at full capacity. (weighed late in afternoon after she had filled up with feed and water) She'll sell too!

What is the semen quality like with the AI Akaushi bulls? Are they two-attempt quality or one shot gets it done? Just butchered a 1/4 Ak. Heifer 2 year old that we bought for the freezer because she never stuck a breeding with a bull (Aberdeen). wondered how fertility is.

I have had exceptional luck with the AK semen. Smaller sample size (10-20 per breeding) but over the last 3 years, I have AVERAGED 75%. Highest I ever got was 9/10. Fall cows bred up better than Spring, but we bred the Springers on July 4th and it was HOTTT!!! We breed Fall calvers the week of Thanksgiving. I have kept a couple of the F1 females for replacements. They bred back first time AI, no cleanup. (that was the plan, they are actually worth more to me as fats than breds, but wanted to try them out to see how they were as cows. suprisingly, they did not knock as much milk out of the dams as I anticipated. They WILL knock milk down significantly, but mine are wet enough as wet 2's...they were out of my wettest cows that could stand to lose some milk)

Where are you buying semen from? Using different bulls or same? Really like the size and hindquarters compared to Wagyu, looks like a good terminal cross. Calving ease or bigger calves?

I got the semen from Heartbrand. I used the same bulls in Y1 and Y2, but mixed it up in Y3. Haven't got to Y3 calves yet to see if there is any difference between the lines. I think the Akaushi offers more for the commercial cattleman than the black wagyu. If push comes to shove, I feel confident that I could slide the F1's into any load at a sale barn and they'd never pick them out...or atleast, from our small sample size, you couldn't tell much difference in the F1's and our Angus. The F1's from the Simangus cows were thicker than the straight angus'. Both were good, but from a phenotype standpoint, the SimangusXAkaushi F1's were hands down the best.

In regards to CE, the bull we used in Y1 and Y2 threw calves from 55-125#. I truly believe the Ak CE will match the cow. If she throws small calves, I think the AK offspring will be small. If she throws giants, it's Katie bar the door! I've noticed they are a bit longer on gestation, but we are talking 3-7d on average. The 125# was 18d late, maybe more, can't remember right off. Had parentage to confirm AKx. Given, the cow he was out of always throws 100# calves, he just happened to be the biggest she'd ever had. She calved that thing 100% unassisted and when I found it, the little stinker was already bigger than his herdmates and tame as a puppy dog his whole life. (Hung a 859# carcass at 22 mos..Was ready earlier, but had to wait until I could get a spot at the processor. he was off feed for ~55-60d prior to harvest.)

I'd like to try a black Wagyu for myself, but I've not found a way to make it pencil out for me. I direct market, but pretty sure I could not get the premium warranted to take an animal another 300+d on feed. I'll stick with the F1's, they'll get there quicker and hang a carcass that's "Good enough for me!".

Hpacres440p said:
Where are you buying semen from? Using different bulls or same? Really like the size and hindquarters compared to Wagyu, looks like a good terminal cross. Calving ease or bigger calves?

:2cents:

Well, just picked up our Akaushi X from the processor-LW 1060, HW 598, dressed 416. Mostly grass fed, some grain to keep her tame. 2 year old that wouldn't breed. Looks like she'll taste good.

I'd say they are comparable, for sure. I've only had one JerseyX heifer that I fattened and sold. Marbled well, smaller REA, lower yield, lighter carcass. It was good meat, and our customers liked it. Personally, I feel that the AKx calves are going to be the better option for yield, but quality (if done right) can be similar. I've seen some JerseyX calves that others have finished and they marbled up like a wagyu/Ak crossed calf. Excellent marbling on the JerseyX. I just think you give up yield with the jerseyX. I'm not knocking the JerseyX calves, because they are good!

Latest posts