AI'ing Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

bwranch

Reaction score
Trying to AI a 16 mo angus heifer this morning. This is the first heifer we've done. No problem finding the cervix and everything went smooth getting the gun past the first ring, but couldn't get past the second. I didn't want to use too much force with the gun, with the result being I just couldn't get the tip into place. Any suggestions on techniques or any experience with similar situations? She was previously checked by the vet and everything checked out normal. Advice would be appreciated.

Lee

bwranch":qbt807q3 said:
Trying to AI a 16 mo angus heifer this morning. This is the first heifer we've done. No problem finding the cervix and everything went smooth getting the gun past the first ring, but couldn't get past the second. I didn't want to use too much force with the gun, with the result being I just couldn't get the tip into place. Any suggestions on techniques or any experience with similar situations? She was previously checked by the vet and everything checked out normal. Advice would be appreciated.

Lee

Persistence. Don't push with the gun manipulate the cervix over it. as you twist and wiggle(best discription I can come up with) the cervix you'll eventually feel the grit from the nest ring.

dun

I've found that the easiest way to thread the cervix of a heifer is to first take everything as far forward as you can. Then bring the rod to the cervix, pass that first ring, and you should be able to pretty much let go of the cervix and have it thread itself onto the rod.

Ann B

Latest posts